Shopping Discussion

Do you buy Wal-Mart's Equate or Costco's Kirkland over the Brand Name?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 6:56 pm
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
184 upvotes
Kirkland garbage bags are great. Kirkland laundry detergent not as good as Tide (as per Consumer Reports and I can attest to that - doesn't clean as well). Equate equivalent of Metamucil is as good according to my mother who has been taking it for a decade (and it costs much less than Metamucil).
You can save even more by NOT spending ;)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: I, however, found, or should I say felt Tylenol "cold/sinus" and "fever" pills work better than Equate. I know the dose and ingredients are exactly the same. but last 2 or 3 times, I did feel Tylenol work better, like take 2 pills and will be better over night, Equate not so efficient. Psychological effects?
I always found brand name to work better than no name products. Despite having almost the same ingredient list, the order doesn't always match which leads me to think they are not always made by the "brand name" company/

Anyways, sale + coupon is always cheaper than no name regular price. But if you need it, then you need it
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
vanpatrick81 wrote: Found this on Costco's business website. They do have this in the regular store.
Nice, that's the same kind I got for $4.29. I guess I'll have to get someone to buy me a box of those next time :D .

Cas77 wrote: One house brand I hardly ever get is Life at SDM.
Life must be dead now, after the buyout. Funny enough, I have a Life bottle of rubbing alcohol, although it's a lower percentage. I still have some Life cotton balls that I bought 20+ years ago :D .
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
20+ years old cotton balls still usable? Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
Aug 9, 2017
166 posts
184 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: 20+ years old cotton balls still usable? Face With Tears Of Joy
As long as you don't eat them it's fine ;)
You can save even more by NOT spending ;)
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
Kirkland tissues are great. Soooooo much better than Scotties crap.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
ar2020 wrote: Kirkland tissues are great. Soooooo much better than Scotties crap.
Never thought of this. I usually buy scotties and they are decent.
I bought some alokozay brand from the Asian store and they are like newspaper.

As to Op's question, I buy Kirkland stuff at Costco and have always been satisfied.
Mostly edibles like repackaged sahale snacks, sunsweet prunes etc.
Never bought Equate stuff though.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Kirkland is pretty hit and miss. Their rice for example is pretty mediocre quality. You're much better off going elsewhere and buying say Ox Head brand. Their toilet paper is also mediocre at best, with Charmin being much, much better. Some of their dried fruits are unnecessarily sweetened, too. Costco, do you really need to add sugar to dried blueberries? WTF?!? Other Kirkland stuff is OK, but these days I definitely gravitate away from the Kirkland brand given the questionable quality of so much of the Kirkland stuff.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
eecc17 wrote: Just did a walmart run for IPA....
My eyes almost popped out when i Saw the price tag on 946 mL of 91%..................... it was 6.50 before tax!
At first I was thinking, since when does Walmart in Toronto sell beer?
eecc17 wrote: where do you guys get rubbing alcohol?
Then I was like, "oh that IPA" LOL.
Sep 25, 2012
132 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Never had a problem with Kirkland products. The quality is excellent. I've bought several Kirkland brand spices which I've preferred to the name brand. I've had a couple where they replaced the Kirkland brand with a brand name (Club House for example) and the Kirkland version tasted better.