• Jun 21st, 2005 7:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
7 upvotes

do you care if your salmon is farmed or wild salmon

The latest to proclaim using only wild salmon in their dishes is Tojo's in Vancouver, as well as Rob Feenie, plus a number of high end restaurants.

Especially for those who eat sashimi, does it matter to you?
33 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4857 posts
880 upvotes
Vancity
though im not one of those anti-farmed salmon protestors or whatever, i'd rather eat wild salmon over farmed salmon anyday... actually, if i knew it was farmed, i'd avoid eating it, or maybe eat less of it... after hearing all the chemicals and crap they put the fish through...

my brother on the other hand, is allergic to farmed salmon apparently.. one time he broke out in hives after eating farmed pink salmon..
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
I don't think I'm delicate enough to be able to tell the difference taste-wise, yet. So at this stage, I don't really care
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1577 posts
146 upvotes
hes probably allergic to the food colouring they feed farmed salmon so that the flesh looks orange and not grey.
sonick wrote:though im not one of those anti-farmed salmon protestors or whatever, i'd rather eat wild salmon over farmed salmon anyday... actually, if i knew it was farmed, i'd avoid eating it, or maybe eat less of it... after hearing all the chemicals and crap they put the fish through...

my brother on the other hand, is allergic to farmed salmon apparently.. one time he broke out in hives after eating farmed pink salmon..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
my salmon is always from the wild so i dont have to worry
That's my 2cents worth
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Keelie wrote:my salmon is always from the wild so i dont have to worry
You should, a little! Salmon farms are causing problems with wild as well because of all the crap produced around the farms. Also, some farmed escape & start mixing with wild, creating an even greater more permanent problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
7 upvotes
it never really dawned on me! that all the time i was eating sashimi i was most likely eating farmed salmon. i am catious about buying farmed salmon in the supermarket, but never really thought about it in restaurants.

Hmmmm all you can eat sushi? maybe not so good after all.
Jan 9, 2005
672 posts
Vancouver, BC
Untill recently I had no idea about farmed fish, then I read some articles and did a little bit of research and lost my taste for sushi (was only temp) Now I will only eat at respectable higher end sushi places.
INSERT SIGNATURE HERE OR HERE OR HERE BUT NOT HERE OR HERE Do you have a bad case of mahjongmaniacitis?
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
I prefer wild over farmed.. but in the event a plate is in front of me and it happens to be farmed, I'll still eat it. I just would really prefer to reduce the amount I consume of farmed.

Either way, too many issues going on with farmed right now to risk it.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1952 posts
1 upvote
Ajax
Wild has a better taste, not so much marbled omega FAT. Prefer to buy wild but it is not always available.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Iron Chef Ajax wrote:Wild has a better taste, not so much marbled omega FAT. Prefer to buy wild but it is not always available.
Definitely the texture is better.

Fat in belly part is the best!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Nearly all fish contain mercury, some more than others.

If you're going to eat fish, the wild varieties is probably safer/better than farmed.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
I prefer the wild variety...and stock up when they have a sale at the grocery store.
batcave wrote:Nearly all fish contain mercury, some more than others.

If you're going to eat fish, the wild varieties is probably safer/better than farmed.
Wild salmon generally has higher mercury levels than farmed salmon.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Rehan wrote:I prefer the wild variety...and stock up when they have a sale at the grocery store.

Wild salmon generally has higher mercury levels than farmed salmon.
LOL! this reminds me of aptitude/IQ tests. Based on your two statements, conclusion is that : a) Rehan likes mercury b) Rehan buys farmed salmon only when it's at premium price c) Rehan prefers tuna d) all of the above.

:D
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Kai Viti wrote:LOL! this reminds me of aptitude/IQ tests. Based on your two statements, conclusion is that : a) Rehan likes mercury b) Rehan buys farmed salmon only when it's at premium price c) Rehan prefers tuna d) all of the above.

:D
:razz:
There's more to the wild vs. farmed salmon debate than just their mercury levels (PCBs, for example). So, despite the fact that wild salmon generally has higher mercury levels than farmed salmon, I prefer the wild variety. :)
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
In pragmatic terms, I think my biggest concern with farmed fish & animals isn't the heavy metals or other toxic pollutants but antibiotics they add.

I like the germs in my system and don't want all these antibiotics killing them off. :)
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
Where do you folks get your salmon? I usually get mine at the likes of Longo's or Sobey's. Somewhat reputable, but definitely not high-end fish market. I don't recall them saying whether the salmon is farmed, or wild. I guess they'll specify more in the West coast? :confused:

Some of you posted here are from Ontario. Where's your usual fish source? St. Lawrence market never says if their salmon is farmed or wild, either. Wouldn't mind doing a head-to-head taste test one day if I have a chance to
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
Kai Viti wrote:You should, a little! Salmon farms are causing problems with wild as well because of all the crap produced around the farms. Also, some farmed escape & start mixing with wild, creating an even greater more permanent problem.
that wasnt really the question tho
we could say lots about all of the meats we eat, what they are fed, etc, etc
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
NDman wrote:Where do you folks get your salmon? I usually get mine at the likes of Longo's or Sobey's. Somewhat reputable, but definitely not high-end fish market. I don't recall them saying whether the salmon is farmed, or wild. I guess they'll specify more in the West coast? :confused:

Some of you posted here are from Ontario. Where's your usual fish source? St. Lawrence market never says if their salmon is farmed or wild, either. Wouldn't mind doing a head-to-head taste test one day if I have a chance to
i've been spoiled, my dad catches them!
i dont buy salmon in the stores or order it in restaurants, as it never compares to what i get.
That's my 2cents worth