• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2011 1:49 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 5, 2009
270 posts
24 upvotes

Do you check your blind spot?

I find I have difficulty when I try to check blind spots because it interferes with my view on what is going on it front of me. I normally just use the rear view mirror and occasionally the side mirrors, but really aren't you supposed to have a sense of awareness on what is around you either way?

For example, when I turn into a new lane I am aware of the 2 cars to my left and the 1 to my right, I see no need to check my blind spot if you have good awareness on the road. Some people disagree - what do you think?
51 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally, my mirrors are set up such that I have no "blind spots". I too have situational awareness when on the road and hope most people do. Because not everyone does, I drive defensively. I am aware that you OP, for instance, have a blind spot and that concerns me. ;)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
No. Ever sice I started driving I hate turning my head or setting my mirrors for some reason I have to see my car like everyone else. LOL

It's the reason why I have those small mirrors, not just for this but it helps me on tight spaces to prevent curb rash on my ENKEI's.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
I always shoulder-check before making a lane change, I was taught that's the proper way to drive. I would think it's a good practice for you to start following.
Feb 16, 2009
125 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
always check it dude, unless you're some all aware super driver

especially on highway where people can change from two lanes over...
Oct 16, 2008
699 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
I dont think i have ever changed lanes without checking my blindspot.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
there's no need to check your blind spot. you always have the right of way. esp when you drive a ****.

you can stop on a green light.
you can drive 60%-80% of the speed limit in the passing lanes whether on the freeway or city.
you can turn left slowly despite oncoming traffic.
you can turn right slowly on a red despite oncoming traffic.
and you definitely can change lanes without checking your blind spot.

you always have the right of way. everyone else must yield. that is what defensive driving means!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
I always check. It is a habit thing. Besides the some cars are equipped with mirrors so small that you could hide and entire vehicle in the blind spot. It is much easier to maintain a habit than it is to adjust to each and every vehicle. Proud to say that I have never shared the same real estate with another car at the same time.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
177 upvotes
Since I got blind-spot mirrors, I don't check as often.

But I always check at night since blind-spot mirrors are so tiny and it's more difficult to see cars in them when it's dark (twice as difficult if their lights aren't on, which as we know isn't uncommon in Toronto).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
D3lit3 wrote: I find I have difficulty when I try to check blind spots because it interferes with my view on what is going on it front of me. I normally just use the rear view mirror and occasionally the side mirrors, but really aren't you supposed to have a sense of awareness on what is around you either way?

For example, when I turn into a new lane I am aware of the 2 cars to my left and the 1 to my right, I see no need to check my blind spot if you have good awareness on the road. Some people disagree - what do you think?
Take some driving courses as a safety measure for your own safety and safety of other people. If you have a hard time balancing the focus between the front and the side, you are setting up yourself for an accident. Side mirrors often do not provide enough coverage to allow you to view the blind spot. Being at ease and comfortable behind the wheel requires practice like everything else. Viewing over the shoulder requires correct timing and a bit of finesse.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1668 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
I'm like Pete_Coach, but still check my blind spots just to be sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1629 posts
536 upvotes
Mississauga
actng wrote: there's no need to check your blind spot. you always have the right of way. esp when you drive a ****.

you can drive 60%-80% of the speed limit in the passing lanes whether on the freeway or city.

you always have the right of way. everyone else must yield. that is what defensive driving means!

+1, Honestly at least half of the people on the road can't drive I repeat can't drive.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: I always shoulder-check before making a lane change, I was taught that's the proper way to drive. I would think it's a good practice for you to start following.

this. I always do it, it's for my safety and it's for other people's safety.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
It happened to me once that it was a car but a motorcycle in my blind spot and it was hard to see. Good that I did check blind spot.

Also. It's hard to tell from the mirror if it's a white car in heavy snow/rain. ALWAYS check your blind spot. It's less than a second and you still got control for what's ahead of you.

I was once on my way to Ottawa on HWY 7 (two lane traffic). Trying to overtake a car and guess what, another car was beside me and he was trying to overtake both cars. If you think there's no cars on other side, you'll be wrong.

There's no shortcut for driving properly.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
never
i have my mirrors pointed so the inside edge is on the edge of the painted lines
just lean alittle forward and i can see everything in the lane behind/beside me

what use is your mirror pointed to the back of your car? or your rear view pointed down at your face? :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
As long as I am passing everyone, I don't check my blind spots.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Feb 16, 2009
125 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
actng wrote: there's no need to check your blind spot. you always have the right of way. esp when you drive a ****.

hehe on the opposite side of the spectrum, a few weeks back I saw a red corolla going probably 150 something on 401... it went something like 150, brake harddddd, 150, change lanes x 3, brake hardddd... scary as hell
Feb 16, 2009
125 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
BTW a lot of you posting about not checking blind spots, I see people like you doing weird **** on the highway every week. Stay the hell away from me, please.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
361 upvotes
I always do for the safe of myself and other drivers. I honked someone couple of days ago who didn't check blind spot and almost hit my car when doing lane chaning.