Fashion & Beauty

Do you choose not to wear your wedding ring?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2017 10:45 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1595 posts
1982 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Do you choose not to wear your wedding ring?

I've noticed some of the newly married people in my circle don't wear their rings usually because they don't like wearing jewelry. Do you wear yours daily or do you prefer to go without the ring?
51 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2202 posts
1389 upvotes
Etobicoke
I lost a bunch of weight and the ring was too loose. I looked into resizing it but it would cost more than the ring did originally and at some point when you get older fingers tend to get fatter. My wife not thrilled that I don't wear it but she's fine with it, she knows I'm not trolling for others by not wearing it.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
If u r married, u should wear a wedding ring. If u don't like wearing it, or have some lame excuse, then get a ring tattoo on ur ring finger.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Becks wrote: If u r married, u should wear a wedding ring. If u don't like wearing it, or have some lame excuse, then get a ring tattoo on ur ring finger.
So I guess you'd just get it lasered off once the divorce comes through?
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: So I guess you'd just get it lasered off once the divorce comes through?
Sure. In the pre-nup, it would stipulate that the other party will set aside funds for lasering off the ring tattoo should there be a divorce.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12398 posts
4933 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on the day, when I go to work. May or may not. Going to gym, trip, I usually don't (risk of losing it)
Go to friends or family events, I mostly will.

The reason I don't wear it daily because I'm not used to wear something on my finger all the time, I tend it take it off during the day and put it aside sometimes (risk of losing it).

I disagree that wearing a wedding ring is a must after married.
A lot don't even have a banquet hall for reception or get a marriage certificate from their city hall, then why wedding ring is a must?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Becks wrote: Sure. In the pre-nup, it would stipulate that the other party will set aside funds for lasering off the ring tattoo should there be a divorce.
Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4968 posts
29833 upvotes
Different cultures and religions vary on this as their core value.

I wear mine, take it off before I go to bed and back on when I wake up once I get ready for work (wife is the same way).

Going to the gym we would usually leave them at home, just something about lifting weights with jewellery impedes your ability to hold the bar correctly.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: ...I disagree that wearing a wedding ring is a must after married.
A lot don't even have a banquet hall for reception or get a marriage certificate from their city hall, then why wedding ring is a must?
Single ppl don't want to waste massive amounts of time being interested in married ppl. Spouses don't want single ppl coming on to their partners. This is all common sense. I recommend u get some.
Dec 28, 2010
650 posts
298 upvotes
I gained so much weight I had it cut off. Then I lost the weight again but never put it back on. Love comes from the heart not a (catholic) ring.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12398 posts
4933 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: Single ppl don't want to waste massive amounts of time being interested in married ppl. Spouses don't want single ppl coming on to their partners. This is all common sense. I recommend u get some.
No need, I'm not the type that flirt around and people know me a bit already know I'm married. M
Wearing a ring doesn't mean that the person won't have an affair.
What it makes the couple stay together is the heart, not the metal on your finger.

If the spouse obligate the other to wear a ring so other single back off, that is a lack of confidence already.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7859 posts
2839 upvotes
Richmond Hill
one can wear it on their neck like a pendant.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
2045 posts
918 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Mine never comes off. It does not matter if my hands are covered in motor oil or ground beef.

I've been married less than two years, so my ring size is still perfect. I have the option to take it off, but don't want to.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
A confident spouse is one who has no problem getting a divorce.
A wedding ring is not going to stop ppl from coming on to the spouse. In fact, it attracts some ppl.
A successful marriage is not based on love, it is based on a commitment to being married.

You don't have to wear a wedding ring when u r married. You don't have to wear black to a funeral. You don't have to be married to be in love. You don't have to be in love to be in a marriage. You don't have to smile if u r happy. You don't have to cry if u r sad. So, what are we talking about then? We r talking about symbolism and communication. If u r Christian, wear a cross necklace, not a Star of David. U don't have to wear it, but it's a form of communication about something that is integral to your life. If u don't wear a wedding ring, u look like a single person, someone in a common-law relationship, or someone just dating. Get it? So, if u want to wear that hot pink sequined cocktail dress to someone's wake, u can, but it's a communication fail.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12398 posts
4933 upvotes
Toronto
Why do we have to care rather others think we are single or not, I'm not going out everyday to see if this girl or that lady may or maynot have an interest on me somehow.
It is not a communication fail because those not wearing a wedding ring just doesn't really care and not try to misleading anyone.

If one not wearing a wedding ring because mainly because he/she wants to pretend that they are still single, then that's a diff story but those who are not wearing a wedding ring is def not on any type of fail. The only failure is the person who takes this angle and look at it this way.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Well, everyone's different so ppl can do whatever. To me, if one can't be bothered w such a minor 'reqt' of marriage, you have to wonder what other areas will they slag off. It's a simple sign of respect.

To be clear, I'm not saying the ring must be on 24/7, so that guy going to the gym is fine, just whenever practical.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: A confident spouse is one who has no problem getting a divorce.
A wedding ring is not going to stop ppl from coming on to the spouse. In fact, it attracts some ppl.
A successful marriage is not based on love, it is based on a commitment to being married.

You don't have to wear a wedding ring when u r married. You don't have to wear black to a funeral. You don't have to be married to be in love. You don't have to be in love to be in a marriage. You don't have to smile if u r happy. You don't have to cry if u r sad. So, what are we talking about then? We r talking about symbolism and communication. If u r Christian, wear a cross necklace, not a Star of David. U don't have to wear it, but it's a form of communication about something that is integral to your life. If u don't wear a wedding ring, u look like a single person, someone in a common-law relationship, or someone just dating. Get it? So, if u want to wear that hot pink sequined cocktail dress to someone's wake, u can, but it's a communication fail.
What's going on here BECKS? You're normally pretty with it, sounds like this thread has broken your brain - bad experience with a married guy? You are taking this waaaay too seriously. Everybody is free to do as they wish when it comes to the topic at hand, having such a strong opinion in either direction seems a little excessive and weird. I don't wear one, my wife does. We've been happily married 15 years and it's never been an issue. What others think is not our concern.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Just sharing my opinion on things. How u can misconstrue that for a broken brain is beyond me. No, I have never been married, and I have never discussed this subject with a significant other, either. I don't use a cell phone, but that doesn't stop me from having strong opinions on cell phone etiquette or texting while driving. Maybe an example will help...

Was looking up a dude I knew and last talked to back in the 1990s. There is almost no info on the guy on the internet. Saw some video/pics of him, and checked his ring finger to see if he was married or not. No ring. What does that tell me? Absolutely nothing, 'cuz married ppl like u who don't wear a ring on their ring finger screw things up for ppl who want to know!

What is even the pt of using rings at the wedding?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
194 upvotes
I wonder if some people (would) wear wedding ring as a fashion statement Thinking Face
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Dumbbelldore wrote: I wonder if some people (would) wear wedding ring as a fashion statement Thinking Face
What's meant by that? Lol you're either married or you're not. Let's not try to over think things.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)