Fashion & Beauty

Do you choose not to wear your wedding ring?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2017 10:45 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
194 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: What's meant by that? Lol you're either married or you're not. Let's not try to over think things.
Yea tru, tru. I was thinking girls wearing fake wedding rings in places where there's lots guys so she would have good reason to say no. While dudes wearing rings for their own reasons. And other type who just do it cuz they wanna.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sure some spouses may say it's OK but it sure is disrespectful and insensitive.
One has to wonder how many other areas in the relationship the non wearer is uncaring about or assumes is OK.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12398 posts
4933 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
What is even the pt of using rings at the wedding?
Brides wear gowns at wedding too, does any of them still wearing it after their wedding day?

You just picked a very bad example.

One mentioned as well, a lot girls/guys wear a ring (although not wedding ring) even they are not married or engaged. People shouldn't judge a person is marred or not by looking at the fingers.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
I actually find rings kind of cumbersome and feel that they get in the way. So what is an alternative to tattooing my finger if/when I want to get married but don't want to wear a ring regularly? A ring on a necklace already means something else--a promise ring. I just prefer naked hands.

I hate to be crude, but what would someone who doesn't have any fingers do?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: Brides wear gowns at wedding too, does any of them still wearing it after their wedding day?

You just picked a very bad example.

One mentioned as well, a lot girls/guys wear a ring (although not wedding ring) even they are not married or engaged. People shouldn't judge a person is marred or not by looking at the fingers.
Brides wear their wedding dress once is because that is the TRADITION. Other ppl don't wear bridal dresses to regular occasions, which is why it is impossible to find a big selection of white dresses at the mall. Married ppl wear wedding rings on their ring finger because that is the tradition. A bride wearing her dress once is not the same as a guy wearing his wedding ring only on his wedding day.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
gh05t wrote: I'm sure some spouses may say it's OK but it sure is disrespectful and insensitive.
One has to wonder how many other areas in the relationship the non wearer is uncaring about or assumes is OK.
Yup, it's a bit symbolic. If they can't even do a little thing like that, they should've continued just dating or being common law. What's the point of getting into all that 'hassle'/formality/legality of marriage (esp in this day and age, when ppl don't care as much about children out of wedlock, etc) and then turn around not being bothered w/ probably one of the smallest 'efforts' required? It's quite silly imo.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
194 upvotes
Becks wrote: Some guys can't handle wearing ties or suits, or short hair cuts.
I wish someone could get me a wedding ring (the one ring to rule them all).
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
2094 posts
1079 upvotes
VANCOUVER
The only time I wear mine is when I go to work or go out. When I'm at home I take it off. My wife does the same thing. One of the reasons she does not wear it is to prevent scratching our toddler accidentally with her band/engagement combo.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12638 posts
6009 upvotes
I used to wear mine but I hate jewelry so I don't anymore. My wife doesn't care - she is easy going.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9312 posts
6334 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't wear my wedding band, simply because I don't like wearing jewelry (except for watches). The only time I wore it was for the wedding ceremony. My wife is aware and okay with it!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
Becks wrote: Prince Albert
hi, how are you ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Becks wrote: ... I don't use a cell phone, but that doesn't stop me from having strong opinions on cell phone etiquette or texting while driving.
ok, seriously. I'm intrigued. Why not? It can't be age, because I know really reeally old farts who use a cellphone.

Was this something you chose to do yourself? Avoiding something..someone? Out of necessity? Just for kicks? Cellphone isn't only to be 'reachable'., it's our extension to the internet right? I'm very impressed & fascinated.
Maybe an example will help...

Was looking up a dude I knew and last talked to back in the 1990s. There is almost no info on the guy on the internet. Saw some video/pics of him, and checked his ring finger to see if he was married or not. No ring. What does that tell me? Absolutely nothing, 'cuz married ppl like u who don't wear a ring on their ring finger screw things up for ppl who want to know!

What is even the pt of using rings at the wedding?
[/quote]
lol., forgive me, I think you're just jaded, this is why. Beck's, just keep your shoegame up, you'll find someone soon enough.

Okay peeps, I'm loving this thread. Full disclosure here. Both my s/o and myself have our same rings since we got married a few years ago....ok.let's just say our eldest is finished Elementary..MORE than a few. Our first few days afterwards (we were staying with her brother & his fam, abroad). She took it off. haha. Boy it kinda miffed me. Thankfully her bro's wife jacked her up for that LOL. Well, needless to say we've both kept our rings on since then.

I really find it peculiar why you'd get married but not wear a wedding ring - unless ring avulsions are common in your line of work, or .... unless - you want to keep your options open.

Perhaps someone can explain to me, what is the common-law folk etiquette on 'wedding' rings? Do they have a similar etiquette? Or not. Hence the expression 'put a ring on it'.

For those of you who've said you don't wear your ring and your wives are 'okay' with it, can I ask how many of them have your pool boy/postman/mechanics cell programmed in their speed dial? (runs and hides, while grabbing the popcorn bag)
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cookies be working on afterburners now.

Saw this ad on a page after I posted this.

https://ensorings.com/?gclid=CLKWirKh49MCFRBYDQodGZ4OvA
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
May 12, 2009
814 posts
380 upvotes
After having my third kid, my nickel allergy came on x10. My original ring has perforations in it and it left a mild lacy-looking burn around my finger. My hubby bought me a platinum ring, same result. So, no ring.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
^^ I don't use a cellphone because it is not free. Tons of ppl use them probably 'cuz it doesn't cost them anything. The others r complaining about Bell/Rogers/Telus.

^ How about wearing a 24k ring?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7929 posts
5476 upvotes
Victoria, BC
markopas wrote: Different cultures and religions vary on this as their core value.

I wear mine, take it off before I go to bed and back on when I wake up once I get ready for work (wife is the same way).

Going to the gym we would usually leave them at home, just something about lifting weights with jewellery impedes your ability to hold the bar correctly.
When I was married I never took it off. It didn't bother me to sleep in it. My parents (they were married 60 years before my dad died) always wore theirs too. If I were taking it off I guarantee I would lose it or forget it.
Nov 23, 2008
382 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
I find it odd that such a seemingly mundane topic has attracted such strong opinions. It's a piece of jewelry on on a finger, and that has no meaning on its own. The only meaning to a wedding band is whatever you (and you alone, although you'd probably want to discuss with your SO) want it to be.

If wearing the wedding band gave magical powers of loyalty to their SO then sure I'd understand wanting to wear it all the time, but it doesn't. People are going to do what they want to do.

All that being said, I'm not married yet, but I've discussed this with my SO and we're probably getting tattoos (line of work, forgetfulness, and because tattoos).