Fashion & Apparel

Do you choose not to wear your wedding ring?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2017 10:45 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7386 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
Well, everyone's different so ppl can do whatever. To me, if one can't be bothered w such a minor 'reqt' of marriage, you have to wonder what other areas will they slag off. It's a simple sign of respect.

To be clear, I'm not saying the ring must be on 24/7, so that guy going to the gym is fine, just whenever practical.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1216 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 4:42 pm
A confident spouse is one who has no problem getting a divorce.
A wedding ring is not going to stop ppl from coming on to the spouse. In fact, it attracts some ppl.
A successful marriage is not based on love, it is based on a commitment to being married.

You don't have to wear a wedding ring when u r married. You don't have to wear black to a funeral. You don't have to be married to be in love. You don't have to be in love to be in a marriage. You don't have to smile if u r happy. You don't have to cry if u r sad. So, what are we talking about then? We r talking about symbolism and communication. If u r Christian, wear a cross necklace, not a Star of David. U don't have to wear it, but it's a form of communication about something that is integral to your life. If u don't wear a wedding ring, u look like a single person, someone in a common-law relationship, or someone just dating. Get it? So, if u want to wear that hot pink sequined cocktail dress to someone's wake, u can, but it's a communication fail.
What's going on here BECKS? You're normally pretty with it, sounds like this thread has broken your brain - bad experience with a married guy? You are taking this waaaay too seriously. Everybody is free to do as they wish when it comes to the topic at hand, having such a strong opinion in either direction seems a little excessive and weird. I don't wear one, my wife does. We've been happily married 15 years and it's never been an issue. What others think is not our concern.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Just sharing my opinion on things. How u can misconstrue that for a broken brain is beyond me. No, I have never been married, and I have never discussed this subject with a significant other, either. I don't use a cell phone, but that doesn't stop me from having strong opinions on cell phone etiquette or texting while driving. Maybe an example will help...

Was looking up a dude I knew and last talked to back in the 1990s. There is almost no info on the guy on the internet. Saw some video/pics of him, and checked his ring finger to see if he was married or not. No ring. What does that tell me? Absolutely nothing, 'cuz married ppl like u who don't wear a ring on their ring finger screw things up for ppl who want to know!

What is even the pt of using rings at the wedding?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2309 posts
148 upvotes
I wonder if some people (would) wear wedding ring as a fashion statement Thinking Face
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7386 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 5:22 pm
I wonder if some people (would) wear wedding ring as a fashion statement Thinking Face
What's meant by that? Lol you're either married or you're not. Let's not try to over think things.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2309 posts
148 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 5:28 pm
What's meant by that? Lol you're either married or you're not. Let's not try to over think things.
Yea tru, tru. I was thinking girls wearing fake wedding rings in places where there's lots guys so she would have good reason to say no. While dudes wearing rings for their own reasons. And other type who just do it cuz they wanna.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6767 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sure some spouses may say it's OK but it sure is disrespectful and insensitive.
One has to wonder how many other areas in the relationship the non wearer is uncaring about or assumes is OK.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7804 posts
913 upvotes
Markham
Becks wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 2:56 pm

What is even the pt of using rings at the wedding?
Brides wear gowns at wedding too, does any of them still wearing it after their wedding day?

You just picked a very bad example.

One mentioned as well, a lot girls/guys wear a ring (although not wedding ring) even they are not married or engaged. People shouldn't judge a person is marred or not by looking at the fingers.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4860 posts
735 upvotes
I actually find rings kind of cumbersome and feel that they get in the way. So what is an alternative to tattooing my finger if/when I want to get married but don't want to wear a ring regularly? A ring on a necklace already means something else--a promise ring. I just prefer naked hands.

I hate to be crude, but what would someone who doesn't have any fingers do?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 9:59 pm
Brides wear gowns at wedding too, does any of them still wearing it after their wedding day?

You just picked a very bad example.

One mentioned as well, a lot girls/guys wear a ring (although not wedding ring) even they are not married or engaged. People shouldn't judge a person is marred or not by looking at the fingers.
Brides wear their wedding dress once is because that is the TRADITION. Other ppl don't wear bridal dresses to regular occasions, which is why it is impossible to find a big selection of white dresses at the mall. Married ppl wear wedding rings on their ring finger because that is the tradition. A bride wearing her dress once is not the same as a guy wearing his wedding ring only on his wedding day.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7386 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 6:07 pm
I'm sure some spouses may say it's OK but it sure is disrespectful and insensitive.
One has to wonder how many other areas in the relationship the non wearer is uncaring about or assumes is OK.
Yup, it's a bit symbolic. If they can't even do a little thing like that, they should've continued just dating or being common law. What's the point of getting into all that 'hassle'/formality/legality of marriage (esp in this day and age, when ppl don't care as much about children out of wedlock, etc) and then turn around not being bothered w/ probably one of the smallest 'efforts' required? It's quite silly imo.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Some guys can't handle wearing ties or suits, or short hair cuts.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2309 posts
148 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 4:23 pm
Some guys can't handle wearing ties or suits, or short hair cuts.
I wish someone could get me a wedding ring (the one ring to rule them all).
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1405 posts
401 upvotes
VANCOUVER
The only time I wear mine is when I go to work or go out. When I'm at home I take it off. My wife does the same thing. One of the reasons she does not wear it is to prevent scratching our toddler accidentally with her band/engagement combo.