Food & Drink

Do you "double brew" your K-cups? Tap water?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2011 12:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1623 posts
172 upvotes
Scarbontario

Do you "double brew" your K-cups? Tap water?

I just got the keurig Mr coffee machine and I'm considering reusing the k-cups so I can fill up my tall mug. Are there any adverse effects doing this?

Also, what is the deal with only using bottled or filleted water in the machine? Is tap water really that bad?
11 replies
Apr 14, 2010
405 posts
134 upvotes
I don't think that there are any 'adverse effects' per se...other than the fact that you will have weaker coffee.

I would guess that tap water contains minerals which can clog up the machine - when the water is heated and produces steam, the minerals are left behind.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5343 posts
540 upvotes
Mississauga
I sometimes double brew or put extra water if the coffee is strong.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5343 posts
540 upvotes
Mississauga
Keep the used K Cup in the machine, just pour more water in at the top. And press the Start button again.

Or if you don't want to double brew it, just add more water in the machine the first time around and only brew it once.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
193 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Dec 13th, 2011 6:44 pm
Keep the used K Cup in the machine, just pour more water in at the top. And press the Start button again.

Or if you don't want to double brew it, just add more water in the machine the first time around and only brew it once.

The single size keurig machines only hold so much water, I think its 8oz. I'm pretty sure using less water will potentially damage the machine, and you can't use "more' water since the boiler only holds 8oz anything extra will overflow and end up at the bottom. Thats why your post confused me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1623 posts
172 upvotes
Scarbontario
Yeah, especially Mr coffee which produces enough coffee for a tiny tea cup. I'm just disappointed that single serve literally means single serve. It won't fill up my mug and I have to leave my computer to start the machine back up again.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5343 posts
540 upvotes
Mississauga
jason9945 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2011 10:10 pm
The single size keurig machines only hold so much water, I think its 8oz. I'm pretty sure using less water will potentially damage the machine, and you can't use "more' water since the boiler only holds 8oz anything extra will overflow and end up at the bottom. Thats why your post confused me.
My machine holds various amounts of water.
Jan 4, 2008
703 posts
134 upvotes
Gatineau
Raggie wrote:
Dec 14th, 2011 2:14 pm
My machine holds various amounts of water.

The Mr Coffee ones are different
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1100 posts
73 upvotes
IMO, the K-cup just have enough coffee for the medium cup (8oz). For filling a travel mug, I usually use two k-cups brewed on the small setting (or is that a medium and a small??) I have been on a french press kick so my Keurig has been parked for a while now.

I wouldn't consider re-brewing a single k-cup as I find even making a large too weak. Brewing twice would be very watery and you'd likely overextract what little coffee you have, resulting in a more bitter coffee.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6955 posts
60 upvotes
Ottawa
I tried double brewing once out of curiousity, and it came out significantly weaker. Never bothered again, tasted more like hot water than coffee. My machine has an 8oz or 12oz (maybe 10oz, I forget which), I usually drink the larger one regardless.
May 24, 2007
339 posts
37 upvotes
dr wrote:
Dec 13th, 2011 10:47 pm
Yeah, especially Mr coffee which produces enough coffee for a tiny tea cup. I'm just disappointed that single serve literally means single serve. It won't fill up my mug and I have to leave my computer to start the machine back up again.

i used to have the multi cup sized model but i exchanged it for the mr coffee because i only used the 8oz size...
However, I drink my coffee in the morning and never bring it to work tho
× < >