Off Topic

Do you drink tap water or bottled water?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 5:57 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Do you drink tap water or bottled?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6258 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:20 am
tap water in North America. Bottled water anywhere else, mostly because it's just not worth the risk when travelling
You must be joking! I never even heard of a boiled water alert until I came to Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1719 posts
263 upvotes
I use a water cooler and I get 4 x 18 gallon jugs filled each trip.

It lasts about 3 weeks or so.

I wont waste money on bottled water... Especially to the likes of people like Nestle...

Buy a reusable water bottle and wash it regularly.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4261 posts
433 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:21 am
You must be joking! I never even heard of a boiled water alert until I came to Canada.
with a name like jimbob am i to assume you came from southern louisiana?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6258 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:27 am
with a name like jimbob am i to assume you came from southern louisiana?
Like I'd assume you are a cow with pretensions? Anyway, you can assume whatever you'd like but last I heard Louisiana - including the southern part - was in North America Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6258 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto
flash67 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:22 am
I use a water cooler and I get 4 x 18 gallon jugs filled each trip.

It lasts about 3 weeks or so.

I wont waste money on bottled water... Especially to the likes of people like Nestle...

Buy a reusable water bottle and wash it regularly.
Do you know the source of the water that goes into your cooler? I suspect it comes from the municipal water supply.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4261 posts
433 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:41 am
Like I'd assume you are a cow with pretensions? Anyway, you can assume whatever you'd like but last I heard Louisiana - including the southern part - was in North America Face With Tears Of Joy
you're the one that purposely left out your origin to say that Canadian water is worse than it...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1135 posts
570 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:14 pm
Stop wasting money on bottled water (which is tap water anyway). You really trust those packaging companies? lol
FACT - Not all tap water or bottled water is the same

Find it amazing how little most people know about water, our greatest need to sustain life.

Towns & Cities can source their water from a variety of bodies of water... Spring Fed, Lakes, Rivers or the Ocean.  And some places don't have a nearby source, so they have to truck or pipe their water in from afar.

And YES where water is sourced from / how much water treatment / pipe mileage to your tap can indeed affect the smell, appearance & taste.

Likewise not all bottled water is identical either.  Some is bottled at the source (typically spring fed) while others may be nothing more that "glorified tap water" that is processed by Aeration, Distillation, and Filtering.

Most true "water connoisseurs" prefer mountain spring fed water over all others.  And this is the basis which fueled the Bottled Water Industry (most springs are privately owned).

But, capitalism greed, saw a trendy opening, and filled it by supplying a typically cheaper product, that is YES essentially just everyday tap water, delivered in a bottle for a price.

In Canada, we are very fortunate, as we have access to the most fresh water in the world.  So our tap water definitely puts others to shame... If you travel a fair bit you begin to realize how great we have it here, even compared to our Neighbours to the south.  Our water for the most part just plain tastes better.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1135 posts
570 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Boil Water Advisories are in many cases more "precautionary" than severe problems

Water is a HUGE Natural Resource in Canada, so highly monitored (by all levels of Govt)

As such even the slight variation from the norm flags a Boil Water Advisory... Versus other countries where water is not as highly regulated / monitored (especially at the Federal Level)

There has definitely been an uptick in monitoring & Boil Water Advisories since the Walkerton tragedy in 2000 ... Strictly as a precautionary measure / reassurance to the public that municipal water is safe
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4261 posts
433 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
as poster above mentioned, Canada places major importance on water quality monitoring.

is it possible that you have only heard of a "boiled water alert" in Canada and not "other" country since other countries don't really monitor it or they don't send alerts...? Just like air pollution alerts currently being monitored and communicated to the public all over BC and Alberta (forest fires). Would one really expect a country like China to monitor it and communicate it to their people anywhere close to our Canadian standard?
Dec 2, 2007
815 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Ontario tap water is still very clean compare to other countries. If I travel overseas to poor regions, I would drink tap water.
It is not worth buying bottle water in TO
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1719 posts
263 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:45 am
Do you know the source of the water that goes into your cooler? I suspect it comes from the municipal water supply.
Yes, our town has 18 wells for municipal water supply. The setup the company has for filtration is awesome and the taste is great.

http://www.watermaker.ca/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6258 posts
467 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 12:35 pm
as poster above mentioned, Canada places major importance on water quality monitoring.

is it possible that you have only heard of a "boiled water alert" in Canada and not "other" country since other countries don't really monitor it or they don't send alerts...? Just like air pollution alerts currently being monitored and communicated to the public all over BC and Alberta (forest fires). Would one really expect a country like China to monitor it and communicate it to their people anywhere close to our Canadian standard?
Most developed countries place "major importance on water quality monitoring". And the answer to your second question is no! I lived in a city in Germany where there was some damage to a municipal water treatment plant and the authorities issued a warning, distributed clean water (bottles and bulk) until repairs were made (2 or 3 days). They literally delivered water to every street and household that wanted it!

Anyway, my point remains: drink tap water!
Jul 22, 2017
82 posts
38 upvotes
Tap water with Brita pitcher. I tried both bottled water and tap water while I'm making my own coffee. (Hario V60 pourover)
The coffee made by tap water w/ brita always win.

I trust our water. For other countries, probably bottled water.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress + Metal filter | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10106 posts
118 upvotes
mtmp5k wrote:
Feb 7th, 2016 1:09 pm
Thats interesting. I wonder where the tap water from the GTA comes from? Lake Ontario perhaps?
Most of the GTA gets water from Lake Ontario. Extending lake water to a community is often what precedes a growth spurt, as there are limits to how many houses you can service from a municipal well.

i.e. look at Milton before and after the extension of lake water to that town :)

One of the reasons you are not seeing Milton-scale growth in places like Georgetown is because Georgetown water comes from municipal wells.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10106 posts
118 upvotes
Some of the big bottled water brands are filtered tap water (i.e. Dasani).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)