Off Topic

Do you drink tap water or bottled water?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2017 5:57 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Do you drink tap water or bottled?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
2819 posts
624 upvotes
markham
studies have shown that paranoia to life causes cancer...blah blah blah...the whole Toronto population should be dead of cancer for drinking tap water..i been drinking Toronto tapwater (full of chlorine ) for over 50 years..and so have most i grew up with
Sep 19, 2013
883 posts
226 upvotes
Winnipeg
cardguy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 6:20 am
studies have shown that paranoia to life causes cancer...blah blah blah...the whole Toronto population should be dead of cancer for drinking tap water..i been drinking Toronto tapwater (full of chlorine ) for over 50 years..and so have most i grew up with
and 2 billion people in rest of the world.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3570 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
The only place I buy bottled water is when I'm out and don't have anywhere to get tap water or when I'm travelling and would get sick by drinking tap water. Personally, I feel that bottled water should be taxed to hell in places where tap water is perfectly safe to drink. Those water taxes should then go towards providing safe drinking water and improving infrastructure in places with boil water advisories.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6475 posts
167 upvotes
Both. Bottled water is convenient to take to work, in the car, or other places. At home I drink filtered tap water.
Jun 15, 2012
778 posts
60 upvotes
MB
cardguy wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 6:20 am
And Toronto is free of cancer ?
What I am trying to convey is that if chlorine even slightly increases chances of tumours why would I or anyone want risk ? Only to save few dollars. Own health should be a number one priority.
P.S. But I understand folks from Toronto and Vancouver after you paid you monthly mortgage payment no money left for fruit or vegetables never mind bottled water.
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6308 posts
1590 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ukrainiandude wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
What I am trying to convey is that if chlorine even slightly increases chances of tumours why would I or anyone want risk ? Only to save few dollars. Own health should be a number one priority.
P.S. But I understand folks from Toronto and Vancouver after you paid you monthly mortgage payment no money left for fruit or vegetables never mind bottled water.
Cancer occurs naturally in all living organisms. I can understand your point of reducing risk where it's reasonable to do so but at the end of the day, the study that the link referred was not linked in the article so we don't know what levels of chlorination was used in the water OR if there were any other environmental impacts that might have happened over those 35 years.

Besides, many urban water systems have moved away from chlorine in recent decades OR has reduced the amount of chlorine used as greater monitoring of chlorine effectiveness has been done. A good example is actually Vancouver's water system which now uses chloramines instead of chlorine. Also, chlorine can be easily removed from water using a simple and CHEAP active carbon filter so there's really no need to get bottled... heck, there's no need to get a Brita or any of those other higher priced carbon based filters either! Get a simple under the sink filter that cost literally fractions of pennies a litre (a $10 filter will filter 3,785 L of water) and be done with it.
Sep 19, 2013
883 posts
226 upvotes
Winnipeg
ukrainiandude wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 2:08 pm
there are a lot of other day to day very normal activities that can lead to cancer. but doesnt stop us from doing those. its not like chlorine has "significantly" high risk of cancer while these other activities are rare.
Jun 1, 2017
16 posts
13 upvotes
Tap water and I bring a big bottle with my pretty much where ever I go.
Why would I waste money to hurt the environment any further than I already do.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14302 posts
864 upvotes
Markham
Boiled tap water

Bottled water when I need something on the go
ShadowVlican
Dec 26, 2003
768 posts
279 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Both. Trying Brita more lately but usually a bottled water guy
Fido
Koodo
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7151 posts
912 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
amitdi wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 3:13 pm
there are a lot of other day to day very normal activities that can lead to cancer. but doesnt stop us from doing those. its not like chlorine has "significantly" high risk of cancer while these other activities are rare.
Plus the leachates from these disposable plastic bottles are probably much more harmful.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
2119 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Tap water.

Who knows how long that bottled water has been sitting in the case in some warehouse baking (or not) under the sun leeching chemicals from the plastic before it hits the store for you to purchase.