• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2018 8:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2808 posts
419 upvotes

Do you ever get bored/want to be outside office job

Do you guys ever get bored/wish you were doing else in your office job, especially when you doing the same thing over and over again. How do you guys deal with this?

I
68 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1388 posts
388 upvotes
Work from home. Excercise. Try to be grateful and hold onto healthy relationships.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2910 posts
684 upvotes
Edmonton
EEE2 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 3:42 pm
Do you guys ever get bored/wish you were doing else in your office job, especially when you doing the same thing over and over again. How do you guys deal with this?

I
Had this issue, quit, went into the trades, make 3x the money with way more time off, healthier, and haven't looked back
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jan 13, 2017
101 posts
31 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:

I
Sometimes I wish I was doing something else. But, salary keep rising. Don't really want to give up and start all over from the bottom of the chain and make peanuts.

I just use the money and buy things for myself or go on a nice vacation.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11865 upvotes
Ottawa
Depends on your role and industry.
While I have a "desk job, I'm out of he office at least twice a week visiting the customer and out and about in the labs and production floor giving tours.
During her summer, there's plenty of golf tournaments :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11865 upvotes
Ottawa
Shark828 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 7:08 pm
Sometimes I wish I was doing something else. But, salary keep rising. Don't really want to give up and start all over from the bottom of the chain and make peanuts.

I just use the money and buy things for myself or go on a nice vacation.
I hear and read this frequently.
Why would you start at the "bottom".
In my industry as a Senior PM, we have head hunters looking all the time to bring us in directly into a Senior role.
Jan 13, 2017
101 posts
31 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 9:11 pm
I hear and read this frequently.
Why would you start at the "bottom".
In my industry as a Senior PM, we have head hunters looking all the time to bring us in directly into a Senior role.
I will need to go back to school if I want to switch from office job to trades or something unrelated. No experience and start from scratch.

One possibility is to make a lateral move but most roles don't fit me well. Angry Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11865 upvotes
Ottawa
Shark828 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 9:59 pm
I will need to go back to school if I want to switch from office job to trades or something unrelated. No experience and start from scratch.

One possibility is to make a lateral move but most roles don't fit me well. Angry Face
Oh, a completely different field.
If you're still fairly young, I would encourage you to join the trades.
One of my suppliers is a precision metal fabricator and they have a hard time filling in roles that pays as high as $30/hour.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16499 posts
2166 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Get a different job?

You may want to to try something very different.
Dec 13, 2016
728 posts
379 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 10:10 pm
One of my suppliers is a precision metal fabricator and they have a hard time filling in roles that pays as high as $30/hour.
34 still fairly young? How would I go about finding out what is in demand in greater Vancouver?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11865 upvotes
Ottawa
jmomccxx wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 12:34 am
34 still fairly young? How would I go about finding out what is in demand in greater Vancouver?
I'm not too familiar with Vancouver's job market. There's definitely demand for trades and if you're good at sales; it's the capital of Canada for exotic/supercars.
Dec 13, 2016
728 posts
379 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 1:14 am
I'm not too familiar with Vancouver's job market. There's definitely demand for trades and if you're good at sales; it's the capital of Canada for exotic/supercars.
I'm not good at sales. I work at Canada Post right now but looking to retrain into something else.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2910 posts
684 upvotes
Edmonton
vkizzle wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 10:10 pm
30 an hour? Pffftttttt not even bother waking up to goto work for that kinda money. I mean it's okay when your starting but once you go up, you leave that behind and go for better
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11865 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 7:56 am
30 an hour? Pffftttttt not even bother waking up to goto work for that kinda money. I mean it's okay when your starting but once you go up, you leave that behind and go for better
I'm not sure why such a cocky remark; considering you don't even know the entire compensation package such as benefits, vacation, bonuses, matching contributions etc...
Toot your own horn all you want, as I'm sure the next guy is saying the same thing about having to wake up and do your type of job when they are making more in a nice comfy office.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25695 posts
11865 upvotes
Ottawa
jmomccxx wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 1:15 am
I'm not good at sales. I work at Canada Post right now but looking to retrain into something else.
It's very dependent on your personal lifestyle.
My only word of wisdom is don't get too comfortable, as opportunities will pass by.