Shopping Discussion

Do you ever get cashiers erroneously rounding up and refusing to correct the mistake?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:07 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes

Do you ever get cashiers erroneously rounding up and refusing to correct the mistake?

I just bought a Medium Butter Chicken pizza from Popular Pizza Sunday evening ($10 no tax 3 topping medium pickup special. But that pizza counts as 5 toppings so I paid $2.98 + HST extra)

It came out to $11.83 + HST = $13.37. I didn't have enough loonies/toonies to make exact change so I handed the cashier a $20 and he gives me $6.60 back (charging me $13.40). And he gave me the $6 all in loonies because they didn't have any 5s or toonies. lol. I told him "what about the nickel? 7 rounds down to 5" And he said "no it rounds up to $13.40" and he shows me the receipt. I didn't check to see if the cash register rounds up to $13.40. I just know that by law 7 rounds down to 5 and I'm right. Then I instinctively say "yeah, whatever" (I hate being a dick to service workers, especially if they're paid minimum wage but this is bullshit) and he asked me if there was something wrong and I just said no and dropped it. I didn't want to make a scene and school this minimum wage employee on how to do math. In Canada, 1, 2, 6 and 7 rounds down. 3, 4, 8 and 9 rounds up. That is the official rule.

Are small franchises/establishments purposely rounding up to skim customers or what?

If they are always going to round up and nickel and dime me (literally) like this, I'm just going to stop paying them cash and then they're gonna have to pay Visa a whopping 1.5% or whatever the **** they pay. I sold bitcoins for cash locally on a casual basis in recent months so I like to pay with cash whenever possible.

Ah well, on the bright side, their butter chicken pizza is a lot cheaper than Pizza Hut's. And it's pretty good. I've been happy with their pizza thus far. I'm sick of Pizza Pizza and Domino's. Pizza Hut is way too overpriced. And Popular Pizza is pretty competitively priced and has some nice specialty pizzas.
56 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8191 posts
1351 upvotes
London
Pretty soon there's going to be a little cup beside the cash register labelled 'take a nickel leave a nickel'.

I guess they could also just label it "Savin' me" or "If everyone cared".

Nickelback, get it?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9389 posts
2655 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
NEETtrader wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 5:22 am
Are small franchises/establishments purposely rounding up to skim customers or what?
Yeah, right. There are only 4 situations out of every 10 cash transactions where they could pull this off, i.e. 1¢, 2¢, 6¢ and 7¢. So on every cash 100 transactions they'd scam a whopping 60¢ from their customers. Assuming 100 cash transactions per day (a really busy place) that would amount to $219 per year. I hope the owner of the pizza place isn't planning to retire on this windfall.
Last edited by bylo on Mar 13th, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6292 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Has happened to me before.
Never made a big deal as it's not much.
Off course cumulatively it adds up.
Happened at an Asian store I believe.
I usually just want to cash my stuff and leave.
I personally am not going to argue with someone who makes minimum wage,speaks little English and possibly did not make up the policy themselves, over a few cents.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
2837 posts
1070 upvotes
There is no official rule.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15379 posts
896 upvotes
Happen to me twice (same bartender) at a local pub.

In the end it saved me money since if he's going to grind me for an extra nickel it just meant that he lost his 20% tip (loonie on a $5 beer).

I thought he would have figured this out the first time. Guess not. His loss.

When the other bartender serves me she does the rounding properly and gets the 20% tip.
Nov 28, 2011
91 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
NG wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:17 pm
Happen to me twice (same bartender) at a local pub.

In the end it saved me money since if he's going to grind me for an extra nickel it just meant that he lost his 20% tip (loonie on a $5 beer).
watch out he doesn't spit in your beer.....
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15379 posts
896 upvotes
midas666 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:29 pm
watch out he doesn't spit in your beer.....
Oh I sit at the bar and watch him pour it. No worries there.
Oct 13, 2014
736 posts
270 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
My pet peeve with "rounding" are all the stores that sell items with the price ending in 99 cents. Non taxable items (groceries) should just price it as it will be paid, the full dollar amount, ie a loaf of bread for $0.99, just label it $1.00 as that will be the end price.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
NG wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:50 pm
Unfortunately it's not a rule (or law). As the first link says it's a guideline. I don't believe there's anything legally forbidding businesses rounding up all cases.
So basically stores can round up all the time legally and nickel and dime the customer? If in 40% of transactions they erroneously round up, that's $2.00 per 100 cash transactions lost.

Why stop at rounding up to the nearest nickel? Why not dimes? Quarters? Loonies? Why not disregard the sticker price completely? lol

I was going to go to the shop with $13.35 in exact change if I had $3 in loonies/toonies and then they would have been like "you need to pay us 5 cents more" (lol). How embarrassing would have that been? I have a Visa Debit and a credit card. But there are many poor Canadians who are unbanked.

I'm just going to use my Visa Rewards credit card there just to **** with the franchise owner. Instead of losing 2c ($13.37 -> $13.35) like they are supposed to, now they're gonna have to pay Visa 1.5% on my pizza. I was doing them a favor by paying cash being a small franchise. Personally I think it's bullshit that in Canadian law it's illegal to charge credit card buyers more or to give discounts for paying with cash. Because the costs of processing credit card transactions are passed on to everybody - including people who pay with cash or debit.
Jan 9, 2011
352 posts
126 upvotes
Vancouver
rcmpvet wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 3:52 pm
My pet peeve with "rounding" are all the stores that sell items with the price ending in 99 cents. Non taxable items (groceries) should just price it as it will be paid, the full dollar amount, ie a loaf of bread for $0.99, just label it $1.00 as that will be the end price.
Buy three $1.00 items and you pay $3.00. Buy three 99¢ items and you pay $2.95. Why would you wish for the former?

Home Depot rounds everything to the customer's favor—down when buying an item, up when returning. Buy a $2.99 item with cash and you pay $2.95. Return it and you get $3.00. You can earn an easy nickel by buying anything at Home Depot with cash and immediately returning it.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel