Shopping Discussion

Do you ever get cashiers erroneously rounding up and refusing to correct the mistake?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:07 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
26 posts
7 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:50 pm
Use a credit card and pay everything with it. You get charged the exact amount to the penny. No credit card? Use debit.
Credit card and debit card transactions actually cost the merchant money to process. Usually 1.5% for credit cards I believe and I think a flat fee for Interac debit. Shaving off an extra nickel off someone for paying with cash when they are not supposed to (transaction ending in .x1 .x2 .x6 .x7) is ludicrous when cash transactions actually do the company a favor. This is just going to force everyone to use their credit or debit card and then their expenses are going to go up and so will the prices to compensate.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
22730 posts
1921 upvotes
Aurora
NEETtrader wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 6:27 pm
Credit card and debit card transactions actually cost the merchant money to process. Usually 1.5% for credit cards I believe and I think a flat fee for Interac debit. Shaving off an extra nickel off someone for paying with cash when they are not supposed to (transaction ending in .x1 .x2 .x6 .x7) is ludicrous when cash transactions actually do the company a favor. This is just going to force everyone to use their credit or debit card and then their expenses are going to go up and so will the prices to compensate.
I just assume every merchant does a mark up from cost and then add an extra 3% to cover costs for credit card transactions.

I think the people paying cash is paying an extra 3%
Dec 16, 2015
455 posts
140 upvotes
Store owner Dong Sheng Wang

Highlight of the story
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
26 posts
7 upvotes
[/quote]
Gee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 7:56 pm
I just assume every merchant does a mark up from cost and then add an extra 3% to cover costs for credit card transactions.

I think the people paying cash is paying an extra 3%
Yeah it's like a war on cash. Only a few small shops (like my barber or the karaoke place I go to in downtown North York) are cash only. Dollarama doesn't take credit card but takes Interac debit because they operate at such slim margins. Loblaws budget brand No Frills doesn't take Visa but they take Mastercard (or only PC Mastercard?) along with Interac.

Big Brother wants us all to move towards credit and debit cards (if you have poor credit/low income) so that they can track our every transaction. That's why they make it illegal for shops to charge credit/debit card users extra. Instead they make everyone pay extra. And it was probably the government's idea to encourage banks to introduce cashback rewards on credit cards. So that everyone will be compliant with state surveillance.
Jan 3, 2017
80 posts
49 upvotes
NEETtrader wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:17 pm

Why stop at rounding up to the nearest nickel? Why not dimes? Quarters? Loonies?
The fact that pennies are the only coin to be taken out of circulation is a pretty good reason
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1859 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa
Mistakes happen. XD The only thing that gets me is when they round up and then proceed to set that rounded number on their manual debit/credit machine.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1104 posts
413 upvotes
Birdton, NB
NEETtrader wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 9:40 pm
Big Brother wants us all to move towards credit and debit cards (if you have poor credit/low income) so that they can track our every transaction. That's why they make it illegal for shops to charge credit/debit card users extra. Instead they make everyone pay extra. And it was probably the government's idea to encourage banks to introduce cashback rewards on credit cards. So that everyone will be compliant with state surveillance.
This thread has jumped the shark.
May 28, 2012
9202 posts
1672 upvotes
Saskatoon
This story reminds me of the time years ago when I worked as a cashier and some old woman asked for her American penny back because it was worth a bit more than a Canadian one.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2392 posts
503 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
NEETtrader wrote:
[/quote]

That's illogical. Why should politicians care how we pay at the till? It is the banks that want us to use credit. It is the banks that forbid the merchants from offering a discount to cash payers.

Others have commented on the 1.5 to 3.0% fee to the merchant. Their cost for receiving and processing via plastic is less than for handling cash --- though they don't save 1.5% no doubt.
Nov 28, 2011
91 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
NEETtrader wrote:
Yeah it's like a war on cash. Only a few small shops (like my barber or the karaoke place I go to in downtown North York) are cash only. Dollarama doesn't take credit card but takes Interac debit because they operate at such slim margins. Loblaws budget brand No Frills doesn't take Visa but they take Mastercard (or only PC Mastercard?) along with Interac.

[/quote]

My local dollarama takes visa.
The other dollar store takes visa but charges an extra 25 cents for small transactions. I'm not sure if that is illegal or not....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9569 posts
2762 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Marzipan wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:15 pm
Others have commented on the 1.5 to 3.0% fee to the merchant. Their cost for receiving and processing via plastic is less than for handling cash --- though they don't save 1.5% no doubt.
Most of that merchant fee is used by card issuers to pay for "free" "rewards" like 1% to 4% cash rebates, travel points, purchase protection, insurance, etc. We pay for those "free" "rewards" by way of higher prices on all transactions. The rational reaction for people who understand this is to use credit cards, and generally those without annual fees, rather than paying with cash or debit card. That way at least you get some of the benefit of those higher prices. Those who pay with cash/debit get nothing.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2392 posts
503 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
NEETtrader wrote:
[/quote]

I think I know why the barber likes cash ... and it's not principally to avoid the plastic fee.

How do you know Dollarama operates at a slim margin?
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
26 posts
7 upvotes
Marzipan wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:31 pm
I think I know why the barber likes cash ... and it's not principally to avoid the plastic fee.

How do you know Dollarama operates at a slim margin?
[/quote]Dollarama has stated before publicly that if they don't accept credit cards, their prices would have to go up.

Dollarama is a billion dollar+ chain. They are not a small shop barber/bubble tea/karaoke joint. They're not avoiding credit cards to dodge taxes if that is what you are hinting at... They don't accept credit cards for a reason.

There's this small indie book/video store in Toronto I used to go to that only accepts credit card for transactions above $5. Doesn't sound like the reasoning is tax dodging to me. Small businesses are feeling the pinch.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
26 posts
7 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:19 am
This story reminds me of the time years ago when I worked as a cashier and some old woman asked for her American penny back because it was worth a bit more than a Canadian one.
It's in the official guidelines in Canada that 7 rounds down to 5. I know it's just 5 cents. But it's the principle. If you shave off 5 cents from 40+% of your cash transactions and you have a bunch of transactions, that cumulatively adds up.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel