Shopping Discussion

Do you ever get cashiers erroneously rounding up and refusing to correct the mistake?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:07 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
4461 posts
301 upvotes
Scarborough
lots of small businesses out there trying to nickle-and-dime customers..........they're usually having some illiterate, poor english/math skills at the counter......I'd avoid using bank cards there.....
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2001
15370 posts
895 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 8:13 pm
lots of small businesses out there trying to nickle-and-dime customers..........they're usually having some illiterate, poor english/math skills at the counter......I'd avoid using bank cards there.....
They don't need math when the cash register does the math. And I've had cashiers at small businesses do the same nonsense with perfectly good english. Last time she had a british accent. They just want to nickel and dime us.

I try to avoid independently owned businesses like the plague because of this.

From an independently owned comic book store (the british lady) to a franchised Canadian Tire you'll always run the risk of being jerked around.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 12, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 8:13 pm
lots of small businesses out there trying to nickle-and-dime customers..........they're usually having some illiterate, poor english/math skills at the counter......I'd avoid using bank cards there.....
Do you know if it's possible they could "skim me" (I've heard about this scam where they rig a machine to steal your debit/credit card info) if I use Interac Flash or Visa Paywave? Or is skimming only possible if you use the PIN chip or swipe?

I don't want to use my credit card or especially debit card if these guys are fraudsters who skim your cards (harder to do a bank reversal than credit card chargeback). Not that I'm accusing this franchise or the company itself of doing this. But you never know. Popular Pizza is a GTA based chain with 16 locations and online ordering. They seem like a respectable company. But they seem to have that indie feel despite being a chain. They franchise out their locations probably. Whereas Pizza Pizza/Domino's/Pizza Hut/even Pizza Nova are very corporate.

I prefer to use cash over using my Visa Debit primarily because I'm afraid of getting skimmed (I get cash at my bank ATM or I sell some bitcoins for cash locally if I can). But I have a credit card too and it's easy to dispute fraud on a credit card (unless your credit card company sucks) so I might just use that there.
Newbie
Mar 11, 2017
34 posts
10 upvotes
omg, i've never seen a few that are peeved about a damn nickel or less lol. first you claim to have credit cards and a personal amount of wealth... so why does a few cents matter really ? is it going to bankrupt you ? but on the other hand i can see why you have such personal wealth. i certainly wouldn't want to be the cashier/service provider that has to deal with you after having a long day of dealing with the nickle and dimers, you would be walking funny leaving or need smelling salt to pick your ass up off the floor. sure, they may be taking a little extra rounding up BUT in that full year of getting around $215 it's from everyone that has come into that establishment NOT JUST YOU ! and have you possibly thought that it might go back into the company instead of their pockets to help keep that business going ? maybe it's that little bit that helps them balance their books and keep them open. you don't have to shop there, but you also don't have to get butt hurt over a nickle.
Newbie
Mar 11, 2017
34 posts
10 upvotes
also, the reason why certain shops like say dollarama only accept certain CC or even debit is the user fees they pay on each transaction.... it can range from 25 cents to 50 cents to a whopping $1.25. so they either go with the lowest one and it limits what cards (debit/CC) or simply do cash only. it has nothing to do with a margin, it has to do with profits.... why would they pay up to $1.25 that eats into their profit when they can simply say cash only and have more to work with.

some of you are hilarious with your "beliefs" on what you THINK goes on. there is no conspiracy against the customer... it's all about profit and how to maximize it without paying out too much to the middleman. and the days of skimmers is few and far between.... if you bank with a GOOD institution they are pretty good about catching a skimmer and lock your card instantly and notify you within the hour it was done. and yes, i know a lot of you bitch and moan when it happens as you were just about to "pull the trigger" on a deal of the century and you couldn't because your bank just locked your card. but you never think about how they just stopped someone from draining your account and all the hassle you have to go through to prove it wasn't you and back it up over days and possibly weeks.

i can go down the posts here and about 75% of them are about someone who's brown eye hurts because they were cheated a few cents, didn't get their 10% off coupon, didn't get their free appetizer or were charged a small fee they were not aware of because they didn't read the full description.... all minor stuff that really makes no difference. i wish they would bring back speakers corner as this would make for a great weekend watch. it would be flooded with nonsense like this, but worth a good laugh.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
8191 posts
1351 upvotes
London
davealana72 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 9:51 am
i can go down the posts here and about 75% of them are about someone who's brown eye hurts because they were cheated a few cents, didn't get their 10% off coupon, didn't get their free appetizer or were charged a small fee they were not aware of because they didn't read the full description.... all minor stuff that really makes no difference. i wish they would bring back speakers corner as this would make for a great weekend watch. it would be flooded with nonsense like this, but worth a good laugh.
I often find the people that laugh at others cry the loudest when they personally get wronged.
Jr. Member
Feb 5, 2013
167 posts
32 upvotes
Redsanta wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 9:15 pm
Store owner Dong Sheng Wang

Highlight of the story
I'm so glad I wasn't the one to point that out. Thank you.
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 12, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
davealana72 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 9:34 am
omg, i've never seen a few that are peeved about a damn nickel or less lol. first you claim to have credit cards and a personal amount of wealth... so why does a few cents matter really ? is it going to bankrupt you ? but on the other hand i can see why you have such personal wealth. i certainly wouldn't want to be the cashier/service provider that has to deal with you after having a long day of dealing with the nickle and dimers, you would be walking funny leaving or need smelling salt to pick your ass up off the floor. sure, they may be taking a little extra rounding up BUT in that full year of getting around $215 it's from everyone that has come into that establishment NOT JUST YOU ! and have you possibly thought that it might go back into the company instead of their pockets to help keep that business going ? maybe it's that little bit that helps them balance their books and keep them open. you don't have to shop there, but you also don't have to get butt hurt over a nickle.
It's about the principle. The official guideline from the federal government is that you round down to 5 from .x7. If they want the extra nickel so bad, charge $1.50 + tax per additional topping then. Not $1.49 + tax. What's next? They're going to round up to the next dime and then tell people "it's only 10 cents, don't be so cheap?"

I'm going to use my credit card and rack up cashback rewards there just to **** with this establishment now. I was doing them a favor by paying cash. Assuming that the minimum wage cashier isn't going to skim my credit card. Then I have to call into my bank to report fraud and go without a credit card for a week (which happened to me once before. Except in that case my cc info was stolen online)
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 12, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
davealana72 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 9:51 am
also, the reason why certain shops like say dollarama only accept certain CC or even debit is the user fees they pay on each transaction.... it can range from 25 cents to 50 cents to a whopping $1.25. so they either go with the lowest one and it limits what cards (debit/CC) or simply do cash only. it has nothing to do with a margin, it has to do with profits.... why would they pay up to $1.25 that eats into their profit when they can simply say cash only and have more to work with.

some of you are hilarious with your "beliefs" on what you THINK goes on. there is no conspiracy against the customer... it's all about profit and how to maximize it without paying out too much to the middleman. and the days of skimmers is few and far between.... if you bank with a GOOD institution they are pretty good about catching a skimmer and lock your card instantly and notify you within the hour it was done. and yes, i know a lot of you bitch and moan when it happens as you were just about to "pull the trigger" on a deal of the century and you couldn't because your bank just locked your card. but you never think about how they just stopped someone from draining your account and all the hassle you have to go through to prove it wasn't you and back it up over days and possibly weeks.

i can go down the posts here and about 75% of them are about someone who's brown eye hurts because they were cheated a few cents, didn't get their 10% off coupon, didn't get their free appetizer or were charged a small fee they were not aware of because they didn't read the full description.... all minor stuff that really makes no difference. i wish they would bring back speakers corner as this would make for a great weekend watch. it would be flooded with nonsense like this, but worth a good laugh.
Profits and margins are the same shit. That is exactly what I'm referring to. Dollarama wants to keep costs low so that they can charge cheap prices. Not taking credit card is a good way to do that because of the high credit card fees. As for Interac, Interac charges retailers a flat fee I believe and Dollarama has a lot of small transactions so I'm guessing that Interac gave Dollarama a sweetheart deal on small transactions.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20870 posts
2002 upvotes
NEETtrader wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 9:40 pm
Big Brother wants us all to move towards credit and debit cards (if you have poor credit/low income) so that they can track our every transaction. That's why they make it illegal for shops to charge credit/debit card users extra. Instead they make everyone pay extra. And it was probably the government's idea to encourage banks to introduce cashback rewards on credit cards. So that everyone will be compliant with state surveillance.
It seems a lot of ppl thumbs downed your thread. I didn't, But I did thumbs down this^ tin-foil-hatting foolery right there, lol.

As for the 5 cents, this is actually better than Gus Gorman's idea in Superman III, lol


Instead of fractions of pennies, five whole cents a time! :O That gets you the billions like 10x faster, at least!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
8191 posts
1351 upvotes
London
nmclean wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 12:55 pm
Case in point: canada-post-kills-international-inbound ... #p27573041
You should get some sort of reward for even attempting to read that convoluted anti-postal manifesto.
For some reason I am reminded of John Doe's apartment in the movie Seven, with the thousands of notebooks filled with the writings, and rantings, of a madman.
Newbie
Jun 10, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
tim horton's yesterday bought a donut that came to 1.03...gave her 1.10 and got no change....I guess we are rounding UP to the next dime now....LOL....I had this thread in my mind when it happened and obviously if I was worried about the other 5 cents I could have asked for it, but didn't. The principle did bother me a bit after when I thought about it - crazy to think how much extra they are pocketing doing stuff like that!
Newbie
Mar 14, 2017
34 posts
6 upvotes
NEETtrader wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 5:22 am
I just bought a Medium Butter Chicken pizza from Popular Pizza Sunday evening ($10 no tax 3 topping medium pickup special. But that pizza counts as 5 toppings so I paid $2.98 + HST extra)

It came out to $11.83 + HST = $13.37. I didn't have enough loonies/toonies to make exact change so I handed the cashier a $20 and he gives me $6.60 back (charging me $13.40). And he gave me the $6 all in loonies because they didn't have any 5s or toonies. lol. I told him "what about the nickel? 7 rounds down to 5" And he said "no it rounds up to $13.40" and he shows me the receipt. I didn't check to see if the cash register rounds up to $13.40. I just know that by law 7 rounds down to 5 and I'm right. Then I instinctively say "yeah, whatever" (I hate being a dick to service workers, especially if they're paid minimum wage but this is bullshit) and he asked me if there was something wrong and I just said no and dropped it. I didn't want to make a scene and school this minimum wage employee on how to do math. In Canada, 1, 2, 6 and 7 rounds down. 3, 4, 8 and 9 rounds up. That is the official rule.

Are small franchises/establishments purposely rounding up to skim customers or what?

If they are always going to round up and nickel and dime me (literally) like this, I'm just going to stop paying them cash and then they're gonna have to pay Visa a whopping 1.5% or whatever the **** they pay. I sold bitcoins for cash locally on a casual basis in recent months so I like to pay with cash whenever possible.

Ah well, on the bright side, their butter chicken pizza is a lot cheaper than Pizza Hut's. And it's pretty good. I've been happy with their pizza thus far. I'm sick of Pizza Pizza and Domino's. Pizza Hut is way too overpriced. And Popular Pizza is pretty competitively priced and has some nice specialty pizzas.
It's not too bad, I mean is 20cents really worth it to get really stressed for and to be proven right?

I would've not even cared.

Keeping calm makes you live longer.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top