Shopping Discussion

Do you ever get cashiers erroneously rounding up and refusing to correct the mistake?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 11:07 am
Nov 28, 2011
91 posts
115 upvotes
Vancouver
it's not about the 5 cents. it's about getting short changed in general.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1163 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
midas666 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:45 am
it's not about the 5 cents. it's about getting short changed in general.
Exactly. It's like the company saying it's okay to get an extra 2 cents from people because people don't care. It's the people who don't care that let companies like this get away with things. Let them do it to a million people in a year and they have an extra 20,000.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Jul 27, 2016
135 posts
111 upvotes
What burns my ass is using a coupon that says "free" item but the store still charges you the tax as if it was a $5 off coupon and the item was exactly $5.

Free means free. Or is this just another "guideline" not a rule or law?
And when a corner grocery charges GST on the same food items Safeway does not. A one litre ice cream is not a snack or convenience item.
I could never find out who you report these people to at gov.ca but it's obvious that small business retailers are looking to grab every nickel they can from their customers.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
82 posts
20 upvotes
RojoRojoWine wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:33 am
It's not too bad, I mean is 20cents really worth it to get really stressed for and to be proven right?

I would've not even cared.

Keeping calm makes you live longer.
It may be just 5 cents now. But if I keep getting ripped off of 5 cents unjustly (rounding up when you should round up), it adds up.

Btw I was to pay $10.16 for my Pizza Nova medium pepperoni (pickup only) and the cashier said $10.15 and took my $10.15 (I had exact change then). And I didn't complain. Even though Pizza Nova is more expensive than Popular Pizza (a 1 topping medium is $8 tax-in there). It's about the principle.

To hell with that "positive thinking" mantra BS. That stuff is used to silence people who have a legitimate grievance. Every time someone is wronged and complains about it, they're told "stop being a victim" now. It's bullshit. This trend needs to stop. Our society has been becoming more and more neo-liberal and anti-social in general since the Reagan/Thatcher/Mulrooney 80s. (even though we are more "connected" than ever before in history, we are more isolated and alienated than ever before because those connections are very weak and meaningless. There's no sense of community anymore. People just want to use others to further their own needs. Before, the pizzeria owners, shop owners, etc. used to maintain social relationships with their customers. Now everything is transactional)
muscleflex wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:25 am
tim horton's yesterday bought a donut that came to 1.03...gave her 1.10 and got no change....I guess we are rounding UP to the next dime now....LOL....I had this thread in my mind when it happened and obviously if I was worried about the other 5 cents I could have asked for it, but didn't. The principle did bother me a bit after when I thought about it - crazy to think how much extra they are pocketing doing stuff like that!
Rounding up 7 cents, WOW. That's insane. You're only ever supposed to round up/down 2 cents max. I got screwed out of 3 cents. 7 cents is just absurd. Are we rounding up to the next dime now? Should we do take a nickel, leave a nickel like someone mentioned earlier in this thread? lol
Last edited by NEETtrader on Mar 17th, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jan 9, 2011
671 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
PierreS299131 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:08 pm
And when a corner grocery charges GST on the same food items Safeway does not. A one litre ice cream is not a snack or convenience item.
I could never find out who you report these people to at gov.ca but it's obvious that small business retailers are looking to grab every nickel they can from their customers.
Bicycle shops in BC are really bad about this. Bike accessories (trailers, locks, clothing) are charged PST. Bike parts (brakes, cables, tires, anything required for essential operation) are PST exempt. I've lost count of how many times bike shops have tried to charge me the 7% PST on parts that are PST exempt. I think most customers aren't even aware of the difference and unknowingly overpay.
Sep 11, 2014
146 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Whenever i give change everyone always just dumps it in the donation box.
Jan 3, 2017
148 posts
111 upvotes
muscleflex wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:25 am
tim horton's yesterday bought a donut that came to 1.03...gave her 1.10 and got no change....I guess we are rounding UP to the next dime now....LOL....I had this thread in my mind when it happened and obviously if I was worried about the other 5 cents I could have asked for it, but didn't. The principle did bother me a bit after when I thought about it - crazy to think how much extra they are pocketing doing stuff like that!
Do you really think that this was done purposely and that the owners/managers of that Tim Horton's are having meetings and instructing their staff do steal as much as possible by accidentally rounding up when they shouldn't and occasionally rounding up a little to much?

Newsflash, the kids these days and I include young 20 somethings in that category are lost if they don't get a display on how much change to give back. It's a reoccurring theme I see daily from some otherwise bright kids. They freeze like a deer in a set of headlights if the till doesn't display the change to give back

People make mistakes, nothing to see or talk about really. You and the OP should get together for coffee and talk about this great conspiracy.

"You're not paranoid if they are really out to get you" comes to mind
Jan 3, 2017
148 posts
111 upvotes
NEETtrader wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 9:40 pm
Big Brother wants us all to move towards credit and debit cards (if you have poor credit/low income) so that they can track our every transaction. That's why they make it illegal for shops to charge credit/debit card users extra. Instead they make everyone pay extra. And it was probably the government's idea to encourage banks to introduce cashback rewards on credit cards. So that everyone will be compliant with state surveillance.
[/quote]

The government doesn't make this illegal. In fact it's not illegal at all. It's a breach of contract between you and the credit card company, that's it. The credit card companies makes this a part of their contract simply because without it business would be have an incentive to offer a better discount on cash only transactions instead of having their margins slimmed even further by processing fees and terminal rentals. Credit card companies bottom line would hurt if paying by cash was a cheaper option so they put in their contracts you can't do it
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
82 posts
20 upvotes
fryguy1987 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:37 pm
Do you really think that this was done purposely and that the owners/managers of that Tim Horton's are having meetings and instructing their staff do steal as much as possible by accidentally rounding up when they shouldn't and occasionally rounding up a little to much?

Newsflash, the kids these days and I include young 20 somethings in that category are lost if they don't get a display on how much change to give back. It's a reoccurring theme I see daily from some otherwise bright kids. They freeze like a deer in a set of headlights if the till doesn't display the change to give back

People make mistakes, nothing to see or talk about really. You and the OP should get together for coffee and talk about this great conspiracy.

"You're not paranoid if they are really out to get you" comes to mind
In the OP I did suggest that the minimum wage cashier was probably too much of an idiot to know how to do math properly (unless it really is store policy to round up or the cash register is rigged that way) even after I gave him a mini-math lesson (7 rounds down to 5).

One time I gave a $20 bill to a kid at Domino's for a $9.90 purchase, he got out a calculator (LOL) and he gave me back only $10. I said "where's the dime? The change for $9.90 is $10.10". He had to ask his manager to confirm this (LOL).

Kids these days have no idea how to do math anymore. I don't think you have to take math anymore after Grade 11 or 10. Something like that. And even with Grade 10 or 11 level math, these kids suck. Mathematical ability is one of the most important fundamentals you will get out of high school. Second to only English (French if you live in Quebec and certain Francophone parts of Canada)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5217 posts
1403 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:14 pm
There is no official rule.
That is actually correct.
There are suggestions, but no rule.
If you don't like a particular business' rule, stop going there. It's very unfortunate though, because the government created the mess by abolishing the penny, without establishing a clear rule.

Also, about the 99¢ items, it's just marketing. As someone said, if someone buys 3, they will pay 2.95, scoring 2¢ and being that much closer to early retirement.
Also, I would just take a wild guess and say 97% of people use debit or credit, and pay 99¢.