Personal Finance

Do you get depressed when you see all the deductions on your paystub?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 10:34 pm
[OP]
May 21, 2014
418 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Do you get depressed when you see all the deductions on your paystub?

Taxes, CPP, EI, Insurance, Union etc... You work so hard, everybody gets their cut and you barely end up with anything?
106 replies
Mar 24, 2015
499 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Deductions from the paystub no, but the property tax bill annoys me. Really high in Ottawa. Then the $1,000 monthly daycare fees. That's another big chunk out. But my husband started a new job 2 weeks ago and will bring home $2,000 more each month. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Dec 28, 2006
836 posts
164 upvotes
No?

Roads aren't free. Schools aren't free. Hospitals aren't free. I'm more than happy to pay my share of the public services that everyone makes use of. I'd be happier if we could get the same level of service while paying less if they could reduce wasteful spending, but that's mainly just wishful thinking because there's wastage in every organization, public and private.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
1529 posts
211 upvotes
Yes YES YES YESS
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1096 posts
164 upvotes
No, but I get pissed when I think about how wasteful all 3 levels of government are. If they spent it wisely and efficiently I don't think as many people would gripe about how many taxes we pay.
Alex
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
13175 posts
3019 upvotes
Ottawa
With deductions, I also see matching contributions +5%...so all is not last.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2947 posts
999 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
No, I don't really. I want to continue to live in a society and part of that is contributing towards taxes. CPP doesn't bother me as I hope to collect someday.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9001 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
sherman51 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 3:39 pm
No, but I get pissed when I think about how wasteful all 3 levels of government are. If they spent it wisely and efficiently I don't think as many people would gripe about how many taxes we pay.
Exactly. Fine, keep the deductions the same, but sheesh, there shouldn't be all these roads in such decrepit shape, taking 10 years to repair, or constantly increasing health care cost, Teachers, whomever always going on strike. We know there's tons of waste where you have government workers basically stealing from risk taking private people who could get fired easily. That's the problem.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7099 posts
886 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
at1212b wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 4:17 pm
Exactly. Fine, keep the deductions the same, but sheesh, there shouldn't be all these roads in such decrepit shape, taking 10 years to repair, or constantly increasing health care cost, Teachers, whomever always going on strike. We know there's tons of waste where you have government workers basically stealing from risk taking private people who could get fired easily. That's the problem.
Someone is bitter!! But definitely agree that government could be smaller.

I don't have deductions on my pay, but my regular tax instalments and annual return are brutal. That said, I understand it is the cost of living in this country and don't mind generally. The only time it bugs me is when I see people evading taxes or people who just sit around and collect welfare when they are perfectly capable of working.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
1894 posts
583 upvotes
wserib wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 2:38 pm
Taxes, CPP, EI, Insurance, Union etc... You work so hard, everybody gets their cut and you barely end up with anything?
You misunderstand. It's not "your" money. If there were fewer deductions, you'd have to pay for stuff out of your own pocket more. Or not have it.

Cost of living in a safe, secure, first world country.

You're basically asking "do you want more money?"; when people *have* more money, they just buy bigger houses and newer cars.

Happiness != money.
Mar 21, 2013
352 posts
120 upvotes
EDMONTON
It's much worse when you are self employed, and have to pay your taxes after already having all the money. Keeping 40+% of your money in a short term savings account so you can pay the government can be hard to stomach.
Apr 13, 2010
27 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga
Ixidor wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 3:35 pm
No?

Roads aren't free. Schools aren't free. Hospitals aren't free. I'm more than happy to pay my share of the public services that everyone makes use of. I'd be happier if we could get the same level of service while paying less if they could reduce wasteful spending, but that's mainly just wishful thinking because there's wastage in every organization, public and private.
^ this

Canada is IMO one of the best countries in the world to live in. If you feel depressed, you might want to take a step back, adjust your perspective and try to look beyond a paystub.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1164 posts
177 upvotes
Montreal
No. In fact deductions should be higher.
Mar 28, 2017
4 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, especially the union fee. Our union do jack squad, their lawyer on retainers fee does jack squad, and anytime any one who needs them their reps are "on vacation and will be back in 6 weeks", never answer their email or phone.

Completely corrupted and useless
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4548 posts
349 upvotes
Scarborough
income taxes are the biggest deduction on the paystub........and the ever increasing CPP and EI payments.

We do it until we can. When not possible, pack up and return to country of origin.