Personal Finance

Do you get depressed when you see all the deductions on your paystub?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 10:34 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3082 posts
1104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BiegeToyota wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 2:48 am
No, it's not.

Smoking pot is a filthy habit and bad for your and especially my health. It also has a disgusting smell when smoked in a condo that's hard to get rid off.
Pot is a wonder drug. Bad for you, lol ok? You sound like you could use a joint.
Dec 13, 2016
647 posts
477 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 9:44 am
Pot is a wonder drug. Bad for you, lol ok? You sound like you could use a joint.

I will rather keep my true filthy personality than to be tamed by "wonder drugs".
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1172 posts
181 upvotes
Montreal
skykisser wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 12:46 pm
EI is only one that bugs me. Paying for others to not work. Wish there was an option to opt out of that one.
Yeah, and when you pay Home Insurance you are paying for others people burned down houses and when you pay for Car Insurance you are paying for other people's accidents or stolen cars...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4448 posts
729 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I don't think anyone is happy to give up part of their wages. Lol

I will upload a photo you will like when I get home...
Mar 31, 2009
947 posts
341 upvotes
Yes. It's my money going into the government coffers, and the government is absolutely horrible at managing that money.

If the money was used efficiently, effectively, and in ways that most benefitted me, then I'd be fine with it. But I know that for every dollar I give up, most of it is wasted, it's like throwing money away because of how bad government is.
Mar 31, 2009
947 posts
341 upvotes
iamthebest wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 3:32 pm
Yeah, and when you pay Home Insurance you are paying for others people burned down houses and when you pay for Car Insurance you are paying for other people's accidents or stolen cars...
That's why insurance is a bad deal. Granted, I have home insurance and car insurance, but I go with really high deductibles. The idea is that if something catastrophic happens, my life won't be destroyed by suddenly not having a home or being sued for everything I have or whatever. But get your insurance costs down as low as possible because most of the time otherwise you're throwing money at the people who are accident prone and the salaries of the people working at your insurance company.

Likewise, I'd like to see EI removed.. and then everyone funds their own EI. Like, if your pay check had an extra $50 on it because you didn't pay EI, you put that money in the bank account, save it for if you need to draw from 'EI'

But instead, the government takes it, manages it poorly, and the best people are the ones who pay the price for everyone else. I'd prefer if everyone paid their own way. And I say that, knowing that I might have to 'pay my own way' too sometime. And I'm fine with that.

Same deal for CPP. Get rid of CPP and give me the extra cash on my pay check (make sure I get the employer portion too). Put that 'CPP' money into my own account called 'CPP' and when I retire, draw from my 'CPP' account every month, because I'd rather do that, manage it myself, than let the government mismanage it. I know I'd be better off. And I do understand the risks involved.. I'm fine with that.

By nature of how things work, if these such deductions were removed, the average person would be better off. Because the average person actually benefits less than they contribute. Because the average and above average subsidizes the below average. Plus you factor in the government waste and inefficiency along the way. So if you removed 'deductions' and topped up everyone's pay, the average person would be in a much better position. Those who would not be better off would be those who today are drains on the system. They wouldn't have a system to drain from, so they'd have to shape up. To me, that's logical, makes sense, and would produce a better world where most of us would be better off.

Granted, tax money has to be deducted because things we all benefit from have to happen, like roads, etc. So deductions have to happen to some degree. But it should be minimized and the efficiency needs to be improved. And I don't trust our government to ever really do that, especially not the current government.

I'm sure many of you know some people who always seem to be collecting EI, or always seem to be going to the Dr for random silly reasons, etc. Remember that the deductions from your pay are funding that. You ok with that? Reduce those deductions, make the pool to draw from smaller, and make those people find a way to pay their own way better. Would random person who goes to the Dr. for stupid reasons every month go so often if they were paying for it themselves? Heck no. (I personally eat healthy, live healthy, and basically never am sick, never go to the Dr. for anything. My money funds some random idiot the opportunity to eat poorly, live poorly, get sick all the time, and complain to a Dr. Bad investment..)

Most of us would be better off if deductions were reduced, our pay was increased, and we became the stewards of our own cash, instead of the government horribly mis-managing it.

And no one should say 'what about retired people' or whatever. Because you need to think past that. In the world with reduced tax, the 'retired people' would have had more money saved because they would have had more cash on their pay checks. So then it's a non issue, except for the people who are a net drain on the system their whole lives. Those people are the only ones who would be worse off. They would need to improve, shape up, and fund their own lives better, instead of relying on everyone else and the lives that *our* (high) deductions fund for *them*.
Dec 5, 2014
23 posts
11 upvotes
unknownone wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 6:18 pm
And no one should say 'what about retired people' or whatever. Because you need to think past that. In the world with reduced tax, the 'retired people' would have had more money saved because they would have had more cash on their pay checks. So then it's a non issue, except for the people who are a net drain on the system their whole lives. Those people are the only ones who would be worse off. They would need to improve, shape up, and fund their own lives better, instead of relying on everyone else and the lives that *our* (high) deductions fund for *them*.
It sounds like your ideal country will have homeless/poverty issues.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38874 posts
1239 upvotes
Richmond Hill
unknownone wrote:
That's why insurance is a bad deal. Granted, I have home insurance and car insurance, but I go with really high deductibles. The idea is that if something catastrophic happens, my life won't be destroyed by suddenly not having a home or being sued for everything I have or whatever. But get your insurance costs down as low as possible because most of the time otherwise you're throwing money at the people who are accident prone and the salaries of the people working at your insurance company.

Likewise, I'd like to see EI removed.. and then everyone funds their own EI. Like, if your pay check had an extra $50 on it because you didn't pay EI, you put that money in the bank account, save it for if you need to draw from 'EI'

But instead, the government takes it, manages it poorly, and the best people are the ones who pay the price for everyone else. I'd prefer if everyone paid their own way. And I say that, knowing that I might have to 'pay my own way' too sometime. And I'm fine with that.

Same deal for CPP. Get rid of CPP and give me the extra cash on my pay check (make sure I get the employer portion too). Put that 'CPP' money into my own account called 'CPP' and when I retire, draw from my 'CPP' account every month, because I'd rather do that, manage it myself, than let the government mismanage it. I know I'd be better off. And I do understand the risks involved.. I'm fine with that.

By nature of how things work, if these such deductions were removed, the average person would be better off. Because the average person actually benefits less than they contribute. Because the average and above average subsidizes the below average. Plus you factor in the government waste and inefficiency along the way. So if you removed 'deductions' and topped up everyone's pay, the average person would be in a much better position. Those who would not be better off would be those who today are drains on the system. They wouldn't have a system to drain from, so they'd have to shape up. To me, that's logical, makes sense, and would produce a better world where most of us would be better off.

Granted, tax money has to be deducted because things we all benefit from have to happen, like roads, etc. So deductions have to happen to some degree. But it should be minimized and the efficiency needs to be improved. And I don't trust our government to ever really do that, especially not the current government.

I'm sure many of you know some people who always seem to be collecting EI, or always seem to be going to the Dr for random silly reasons, etc. Remember that the deductions from your pay are funding that. You ok with that? Reduce those deductions, make the pool to draw from smaller, and make those people find a way to pay their own way better. Would random person who goes to the Dr. for stupid reasons every month go so often if they were paying for it themselves? Heck no. (I personally eat healthy, live healthy, and basically never am sick, never go to the Dr. for anything. My money funds some random idiot the opportunity to eat poorly, live poorly, get sick all the time, and complain to a Dr. Bad investment..)

Most of us would be better off if deductions were reduced, our pay was increased, and we became the stewards of our own cash, instead of the government horribly mis-managing it.

The average person does not invest, or invest well. That's why EI and CPP exists.

Your described version of CPP already exists - it's called RRSP.
**BRAND NEW** Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter - $130
**75% OFF Retail!**

Silver Coins | Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Mar 9, 2012
622 posts
174 upvotes
KITCHENER
wserib wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 2:38 pm
Taxes, CPP, EI, Insurance, Union etc... You work so hard, everybody gets their cut and you barely end up with anything?
Meh....EI -- good if I get sick... CPP -- good if I live beyond 65, Union -- good for getting me a pay raise each year. No insurance, it's all covered. I have OMERS, so that's a huge cut.

Even with claiming so much (last year was spousal amount, plus disability amount, plus caregiver amount) I still only see 70% of my cheque. Brutal. Is what it is.

I am more pissed off with the cost of cable, electricity and booze in this country. It sucks. And rent, it's just too damn high. (kudos if you get the reference)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2653 posts
593 upvotes
QC
unknownone wrote:

Me me me me me myself and I...
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2428 posts
442 upvotes
Quebec
no depress, i believe its fair that we pay for our service as a society, BUT, man...like others already mentionned, what kill me the most, its how the 3 levels of gov waste our money on some bizarre programme...

if i did the same for my household, i would be already bankrupcy long time ago, but because its government...there is no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 8, 2012
9739 posts
3551 upvotes
BC
HyperTech wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 12:33 pm
no depress, i believe its fair that we pay for our service as a society, BUT, man...like others already mentionned, what kill me the most, its how the 3 levels of gov waste our money on some bizarre programme...

if i did the same for my household, i would be already bankrupcy long time ago, but because its government...there is no problem.
I bet the average household wastes more than the government as a percentage of spending :)

Buying an expensive house that's really beyond their means if interest rates normalize.
Leasing expensive cars instead of buying affordable commuter car.
Buying expensive gadgets.
Eating out way too much instead of making your own meals.
Buying things you don't really need.
Paying way too much money for cable, beer, etc.

I'd say the government just follows the pattern of a lot of Canadian households :)

Some people are 'smart' with their money but I don't think that's the 'average' Canadian.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2428 posts
442 upvotes
Quebec
well, what people do with their own hard earned money, its their business....

what gov do with their citizen hard earned money, its our business.

if you know what i mean.
Feb 28, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
yes we pay exorbitant taxes, especially with all the tax loopholes and foreign tax avoidance etc....so much govt waste doesn't help either

over $1000 every two weeks in taxes?
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10143 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto
I'm ok with the deductions but I feel bad when I see how much money the government wastes.