Personal Finance

Do you get depressed when you see all the deductions on your paystub?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 10:34 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
1343 posts
342 upvotes
I do not get discouraged.

On the bright side, my pay this week will be my last payments for EI and CPP...already at the max!
Newbie
Dec 5, 2014
23 posts
11 upvotes
FinancialFreedom wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 2:59 pm
Seriously?



Again, this is fairly common sense material.
I watched this video and do you really think this has any facts in it? You can't just say an anti-socialist propaganda piece is 'common sense material'. A couple of the negatives he listed for 'big government' is it reduces peoples goodness and character. What a joke. 'Goodness' in this case is just measured by how much people give to charity, did you ever think donations to charity are less needed when a government doesn't let their people fall into poverty in the first place? And America's small government provides more opportunity for a greater amount of people? I don't see how thats true considering many European big government countries provide free post-secondary education and health care but maybe we have a different definition on 'opportunity'.

On the other side of things, do you believe private companies have our best interests at heart? Canada used to be a world leader in internet infrastructure but have since become a joke because of monopolies forcing stagnation in the name of profits. Maybe a very small government could work, but that government will first need to protect its citizens interests against corporations only looking to exploit everything around them. Corruption isn't limited to government
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 8, 2012
7952 posts
2788 upvotes
BC
FinancialFreedom wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 12:26 pm

Excellent point.

That's why I'm so big about small government: less government leads to less corruption, more efficiency, more liberty, more money for those who earn leading to more choices and greater prosperity. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

And while I'm at it, both Conservative AND Liberal government can fall into corruption.
ace604 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 6:00 pm

[citation needed] for your "facts".
FinancialFreedom wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 2:59 pm
Seriously?

Again, this is fairly common sense material.
Seriously? That video is your "fact" evidence?

Alright, so what you meant to say was less government leads to less corruption *IN GOVERNMENT*, and you *think* that's a "fact".
Even if it were true that reducing government would reduce GOVERNMENT corruption, it doesn't mean it would reduce public corruption, or the overall level of corruption in the country. What you stamp out in one place can pop up elsewhere in greater numbers.

"More liberty" = "less rules", and "less rules" flows from "less government"? okay. LOL.

Let's get rid of all the rules, since "less" is more. And that's a "fact", then it must be a fact that reducing government to zero is optimal? No, it's not? But you said less was more and it was a fact?
Oh, wait, less is more ... up to a point? Who decides that point? Is that point a point of fact too? I sense some more opinions here.

You could have a smaller government with way less liberty by just changing ONE rule. You could get rid of 20,000 rules and add just one crappy rule and that would "reduce your liberty" more.

"Greater prosperity" .... for who? For some, for all? If some people get into a WORSE situation, is that "greater" prosperity?

I'm disputing what you are saying, and so are others.

Guess what ...

fact
/fakt/
noun
a thing that is indisputably the case.


Guess those aren't "facts" then ... just opinions. I thought maybe the video would have a list of countries who have enacted changes and shown corresponding measurable increases to super-quantifiable "fact-based" measurable datapoints like "liberty" and "prosperity".


Could have saved us all the trouble and just not used the word "fact". #alternativefacts

To be perfectly clear ... you are entitled to your own opinion and to express it. But if you start calling opinions "facts", well then ... sorry ... you aren't entitled to do that (unless you are Donald Trump and it's a day that ends in "y").

POLL: How many credit cards do you CARRY?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 13, 2009
687 posts
63 upvotes
Depressed? No.

Annoyed? Yes....only at CPP and EI though.
The Fed tax, Union, Health benefits I can accept.
Cell plans - anything more than $10/gb is a ripoff.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6727 posts
869 upvotes
Blubbs wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 5:04 pm
It's much worse when you are self employed, and have to pay your taxes after already having all the money. Keeping 40+% of your money in a short term savings account so you can pay the government can be hard to stomach.
So true, had to pull 2500 (which isn't much in the grand scheme of things) to pay for taxes :(
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4135 posts
650 upvotes
wserib wrote:
Apr 6th, 2017 2:38 pm
Taxes, CPP, EI, Insurance, Union etc... You work so hard, everybody gets their cut and you barely end up with anything?
Only from pay stub? It goes much further.

-When a corporation makes money, it is taxed.
-When you make money, it is taxed
-You have to pay CPP/EI which are effectively like taxes for most people. Not everyone will get to use CPP or EI in their life time.
-When you buy things you have to pay sales tax
-When you live in a property, you have to pay property tax
-Even for basic utilities that are essential services have to be taxed.
-And ultimately if you are a man, chances are good you end up spending a big chunk to make your woman happy. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes This in my mind is my biggest "tax". Seriously, when I eat out, I just want a $10-$15 entree but it will take maybe $50 to make her happy via a fancy french dish, a glass of wine, and pay 20% tip.

But you know what, it's about the same anywhere. You get taxed one way or another.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
2769 posts
900 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BananaHunter wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 2:35 pm
-You have to pay CPP/EI which are effectively like taxes for most people. Not everyone will get to use CPP or EI in their life time.
There are also many who will receive far more in these than they will ever put in. That's how it works. Doesn't bother me in the slightest though.
Sr. Member
Nov 13, 2013
518 posts
165 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 2:35 pm
Only from pay stub? It goes much further.

-When a corporation makes money, it is taxed.
-When you make money, it is taxed
-You have to pay CPP/EI which are effectively like taxes for most people. Not everyone will get to use CPP or EI in their life time.
-When you buy things you have to pay sales tax
-When you live in a property, you have to pay property tax
-Even for basic utilities that are essential services have to be taxed.
-And ultimately if you are a man, chances are good you end up spending a big chunk to make your woman happy. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes This in my mind is my biggest "tax". Seriously, when I eat out, I just want a $10-$15 entree but it will take maybe $50 to make her happy via a fancy french dish, a glass of wine, and pay 20% tip.

But you know what, it's about the same anywhere. You get taxed one way or another.
All these taxes are avoidable especially your last "tax" Let me guess you are single? (hard to see why) Get married (to someone that works) and you won't have to pay for any more dinners.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2013
581 posts
128 upvotes
Winnipeg
Reading this thread, I remember a joke I had heard in my childhood.

A small girl coming from a rich family is asked to write an essay on poverty. She writes -
there was a poor family. the dad was poor, mom was poor, children were poor. they only had 4 servants, and all of them were poor. they drove an old used SUV. the family could only afford to go to a restaurant once a week. the family was so poor that they had to struggle to live a lavish lifestyle.
Sr. Member
Jan 5, 2015
571 posts
127 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
What did I just watch?
I feel like he's trying to equate big government to communism without actually saying it.
Is he related to Alex Jones?
Sr. Member
Jan 27, 2015
813 posts
270 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
ace604 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 3:06 am
Seriously? That video is your "fact" evidence?

Alright, so what you meant to say was less government leads to less corruption *IN GOVERNMENT*, and you *think* that's a "fact".
Even if it were true that reducing government would reduce GOVERNMENT corruption, it doesn't mean it would reduce public corruption, or the overall level of corruption in the country. What you stamp out in one place can pop up elsewhere in greater numbers.

"More liberty" = "less rules", and "less rules" flows from "less government"? okay. LOL.

Let's get rid of all the rules, since "less" is more. And that's a "fact", then it must be a fact that reducing government to zero is optimal? No, it's not? But you said less was more and it was a fact?
Oh, wait, less is more ... up to a point? Who decides that point? Is that point a point of fact too? I sense some more opinions here.

You could have a smaller government with way less liberty by just changing ONE rule. You could get rid of 20,000 rules and add just one crappy rule and that would "reduce your liberty" more.

"Greater prosperity" .... for who? For some, for all? If some people get into a WORSE situation, is that "greater" prosperity?

I'm disputing what you are saying, and so are others.

Guess what ...

fact
/fakt/
noun
a thing that is indisputably the case.


Guess those aren't "facts" then ... just opinions. I thought maybe the video would have a list of countries who have enacted changes and shown corresponding measurable increases to super-quantifiable "fact-based" measurable datapoints like "liberty" and "prosperity".


Could have saved us all the trouble and just not used the word "fact". #alternativefacts

To be perfectly clear ... you are entitled to your own opinion and to express it. But if you start calling opinions "facts", well then ... sorry ... you aren't entitled to do that (unless you are Donald Trump and it's a day that ends in "y").

I guess you and I have vastly differing experiences which have changed how we perceive things.

To me it's fairly common sense: big governments can ONLY function when they tax more money. This means that the average citizen has less money, which means less choices.

Big government = more regulation. This means that the average citizen has less choices.

These are facts. You don't have to believe them. :)

To get to your point, when did I say that we don't need government? Ofcourse we need laws. I'd rather the government protect its citizens, control the borders, provide health care, schooling, parks, etc. But when the government starts dealing with how you should lead your life, that's where i draw the line.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2013
581 posts
128 upvotes
Winnipeg
FinancialFreedom wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:01 pm
To get to your point, when did I say that we don't need government? Ofcourse we need laws. I'd rather the government protect its citizens, control the borders, provide health care, schooling, parks, etc. But when the government starts dealing with how you should lead your life, that's where i draw the line.
with CPP/EI, that is not what the Canadian govt is doing, nowhere close. IMO, Canadian people have all the freedom on how they can lead their lives.
Sr. Member
Jan 27, 2015
813 posts
270 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
amitdi wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:30 pm
with CPP/EI, that is not what the Canadian govt is doing, nowhere close. IMO, Canadian people have all the freedom on how they can lead their lives.
CPP/EI make up a small part of an average citizen's overall tax burden. You're forgetting income taxes, property taxes, GST/HST, etc.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 19, 2013
581 posts
128 upvotes
Winnipeg
Income taxes, property taxes, GST/HST go towards the things you mentioned - protect its citizens, control the borders, provide health care, schooling, parks, etc.
Sr. Member
Jan 5, 2015
571 posts
127 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
amitdi wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:39 pm
Income taxes, property taxes, GST/HST go towards the things you mentioned - protect its citizens, control the borders, provide health care, schooling, parks, etc.
It's easy to take these services for granted.
Who wants security, health and education? Everyone.
Who wants to pay for these services? Not many.

These services are also heavily regulated, can you imagine them being made "small government"?
You want to hire mercenaries to protect your property? What can go wrong?
You have a nursing degree from an obscure online school with no experience? You're hired.
You want to work at a school even though you're a known child sex offender? No problem.
You want to setup a drilling rig next to the city's water reservoir? Who needs water anyways.

Be grateful for what you got - we have it great here in Canada.
Last edited by Taikonaut on Apr 17th, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top