Shopping Discussion

do you guys think a costco membership is worth it or should i keep going food basics/nofrills

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 2:59 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes

do you guys think a costco membership is worth it or should i keep going food basics/nofrills

is it worth it what do u guys think? are there really that much savings to transfer over?

bjl
170 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
701 upvotes
zerotwo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 1:13 am
is it worth it what do u guys think? are there really that much savings to transfer over?

bjl
Depends on how much you purchase at Costco. There is no right answer. Generally if your family is 3 or more members then it can be worth it. If it's just you, or you and you wife then it's harder to justify a membership at Costco. There is the other issue if increased items you can buy only at Costco if that's worth it to you.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1767 posts
696 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
zerotwo wrote:
You do what you think you need to do. There are numerous threads in this very forum asking 'is Costco membership worth it?' so you should read those for help if you need it.

I will say that membership is refundable at any time if you don't like it - so get a membership, buy why you'd usually buy then make your decision after a couple of months.

I've been a member for well over 10 years and don't see myself cancelling my membership anytime soon.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 1:33 am
zerotwo wrote:
You do what you think you need to do. There are numerous threads in this very forum asking 'is Costco membership worth it?' so you should read those for help if you need it.

I will say that membership is refundable at any time if you don't like it - so get a membership, buy why you'd usually buy then make your decision after a couple of months.

I've been a member for well over 10 years and don't see myself cancelling my membership anytime soon.
even for 1 person its worth it?
do u guys do all ur grocery shopping at costco?

bjl
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6374 posts
169 upvotes
No point in getting a costco membership if you are just buying a few items. I buy for other people as well so my membership is totally worth it.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1198 posts
305 upvotes
London
zerotwo wrote:
are there really that much savings to transfer over?
"transfer over"?
Why do you think it is one or the other?

I shop at all 3.
Jul 9, 2016
148 posts
42 upvotes
Barrie
Yes if you want to buy in bulk and shop for 3+ people. Also if you use a lot of gas they usually are the cheapest.
Dec 7, 2015
28 posts
109 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
You can also get someone with a Costco membership to buy you a Costco gift card. You can buy stuff without a membership.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76715 posts
1578 upvotes
Only person can make that decision is you. An open question with so many variables that we know nothing about

How do you even put your pants on in the morning? Or do you post on here what leg to put on first
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10467 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
Costco has more than just food.
I'd have a good look around the store first before investing in a membership.
After a good look around you might want one.
It's only good for one year, so if, after the first year you figure it's not worth the money, then don't renew.
Jun 21, 2016
228 posts
50 upvotes
Really only you and your budget can decide. For myself and my wife and no kids, we didn't find it very useful, so we didn't renew, it was good for some things, but overall there wasn't enough to justify paying the annual fee, and driving out of our way (closest store at the time was an hour away) and then on top of it paying for parking, but for family I can see where it would be useful. but we just as a 2 person family don't need huge amounts, and because our weekly food budget is fairly low, we can get more variety and options going to a regular store.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1347 posts
160 upvotes
Markham
Chaad1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 3:07 pm
Yes if you want to buy in bulk and shop for 3+ people. Also if you use a lot of gas they usually are the cheapest.
It's funny a few people said this. It has only been the 2 of us all these years, and I always felt the same thing.
I wonder what Costco could do to attract memberships from us smaller households.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8238 posts
1456 upvotes
London
zerotwo wrote:

bjl
If you gotta ask, then Costco ain't for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2142 posts
846 upvotes
Calgary
zerotwo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 1:49 am
ALLCAPS wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 1:33 am
zerotwo wrote:

even for 1 person its worth it?
do u guys do all ur grocery shopping at costco?

bjl
even though I'm a bachelor with just me in my household, I'd have to say YES its worth having a costco membership. infact, I would say get the excutive membership. yes its not easy buying in bulk for 1 person but overall, my membership is almost free with the 2% cashback. lastyear, I got $9x back so my excutive membership costs me 1x or so.

but even more importantly, most items sold in costco are of good quality & due to costco's awesome return policy (which usually supercedes mfgr's warranties) , I try to buy everything I need there. the only down side I can say are alot of items are in bulk format & lineups for checkouts can be somewhat tedious. other than that, I love shopping at costco.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel