Shopping Discussion

do you guys think a costco membership is worth it or should i keep going food basics/nofrills

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 8:17 am
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
I get passport/visa pics at least once a year.
You can use your membership card anywhere in the world
I'd buy a casket there after watching the Marketplace story
Costco pays their people better, I want to support that.
They hate manufacturers/distributors that charge more in one country than another, same as me.
They limit the markup on the goods they sell. I know I won't be gouged because they can get away with it.
I like that they are always looking for new products and ideas and I trust them if something should ever go wrong like the New Mexico peanut butter thing
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
788 upvotes
@death_hawk and @lecale regarding your convo...
death_hawk wrote:
May 10th, 2017 11:21 pm

1- Also the black peppercorns in the grinder. I'm sure we can beat $20/kg.

death_hawk wrote: ↑

2- What does dairy cost? Specificially 4% (or 3.5% or whatever homo is nowadays) and 33% cream.
Those are the only 2 things I buy in terms of dairy.
Oh and butter.
I only really look at RCSS and those items (maybe not milk) are $2-3 more than Costco.
Hell cream is damn near double.
Reply from lecale
Regular milk is $4.27 for skim-2% and $5.99 for homo (vs. $4.27 and $5.17 everywhere else). If you get a food offer and 20X milk offer though you can make 40X points on it ($4.27 = 1,600 pts worth $2.72 to me. I tend to redeem at lower tiers so my actual personal value for 1,000 pts is $1.70...you can do much better if you do bigger redemptions).

Cream, they used to offer very competitive prices 2,3,4 years ago or so but now, naw.
1- Peppercorns & Grinders. We are just 2 also. We like this set up. Have not bought them @ Costco, usually buy the ones from McCormick. The nice thing about them (as opposed to the PC ones for example) are the McCormick ones you can get the top off without breakage... So the grinder is essentially refillable (well at least until the plastic grinding gear gives out). Bulk peppercorns are in comparison quite cheap.

2- Agree on the milk issue. Bagged Skim, 1% and 2% seems to be priced at $ 4.25 to $ 4.30 everywhere. By far the best deal is to pick it up on a points offer (be that Optimum - PC Plus - or AirMiles) and freeze / use as needed. In recent months we've taken to buying the majority of our milk at SDM cause of the stackable 20x the points offers we get regularly.

My SDM Optimum strategy has always been rack up the points on BONUS Days (preferably 20x the points ... And with stuff on sale / special offer), then Cash Out on Special Redemption Days, so as to maximize return on every dollar spent. Gets me somewhere between 30% and 50% back on my annual outlay. This is most definitely one of the highest loyalty rewards out there.

ADD -
As for Cream (1/2 & 1/2 - Table... 5% & 10%) often find these on Manager Specials. Sometimes see them as low as $ 1 or $ 2 a litre. In recent months have snagged them at Loblaws, Sobeys, Rexall & SDM. Nice thing is these creams have a long shelf life... So buying 2 or 3 at once works out nicely.

Heavy Creams (18% or 35%) don't go on sale very often... Unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:01 am
Nice thing is these creams have a long shelf life... So buying 8 or 10 at once works out nicely.
Fixed that for me. Cream, the Lard of my fatness. We use 10 litres per month. Costco is $2 consistently. The other places I shop it is $3 or more. When it is $2 at no frills and food basics I buy it there as well. It pays for my membership.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:01 am

1- Peppercorns & Grinders. We are just 2 also. We like this set up. Have not bought them @ Costco, usually buy the ones from McCormick. The nice thing about them (as opposed to the PC ones for example) are the McCormick ones you can get the top off without breakage... So the grinder is essentially refillable (well at least until the plastic grinding gear gives out). Bulk peppercorns are in comparison quite cheap.
I bought a http://www.unicornmills.com/Magnum-Plus/ so I don't have to worry about a grinder.
If anything I'd rather NOT have a grinder since it's an expense that could go towards more peppercorns.
I get it if you don't already have a grinder though.
Still... I love my Unicorn. The thing just DUMPS pepper. Most other grinders I have I've been tempted to attach to a drill just to get some pepper out.

In recent months we've taken to buying the majority of our milk at SDM cause of the stackable 20x the points offers we get regularly.
How regularly?
Also would you mind taking note to see how much homo is?
I never use skim, 1% or 2%
ADD -
As for Cream (1/2 & 1/2 - Table... 5% & 10%) often find these on Manager Specials. Sometimes see them as low as $ 1 or $ 2 a litre. In recent months have snagged them at Loblaws, Sobeys, Rexall & SDM. Nice thing is these creams have a long shelf life... So buying 2 or 3 at once works out nicely.

Heavy Creams (18% or 35%) don't go on sale very often... Unfortunately.
I was going to say I was going to switch like right now.
Then I kept reading...
Unfortunately the only thing I consume is 33%.
Half and half is only $2 and change regular price so all others aren't nearly as a deal.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
@lecale Finally finished the first round of Avocados and Cantaloupes
Still have to finish the Costco sized ones.
Managed to forget to time myself though. Not that it'd be accurate since I'd be taking time to write numbers down.
I might repeat the test next time (or add data) by putting all the measured items into separate containers instead of weighing and writing immediately.
Cheap wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:45 am
Fixed that for me. Cream, the Lard of my fatness. We use 10 litres per month. Costco is $2 consistently. The other places I shop it is $3 or more. When it is $2 at no frills and food basics I buy it there as well. It pays for my membership.
That's me for heavy cream because I make ice cream.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
lecale wrote:
May 10th, 2017 6:16 pm
250g Great Value pepper for $5
@lecale

I was thinking about you today at Costco.
Walked by the spice aisle and noticed:

399g (WTF?) black peppercorns for $10.
178g grinder is $7.69 though.

Also searching for pepper at Walmart makes me think you meant ground black pepper which I didn't get a price for.

I didn't forget about the Avocados and Cantaloupes.
Cantaloupes are ripening still (Costcos are damn near always under ripe) and the Avocados I shoved in the fridge and actually did kind of forget.
But I was waiting on condensed milk so I'm using that as an excuse. I picked some up today so I'll weigh them out.

Also bought a single Cantaloupe at Superstore today to time to see how long a little one takes.
They're no longer on sale and I paid $3 for one.
I hope this nets valuable data because it's less than half the size of Costco for not half the price.
May 28, 2012
9436 posts
1780 upvotes
Saskatoon
Cheap wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:45 am
I don't know whether Wholesale Club extends to out East, but cream and whipping cream are the same price as Costco, give or take a cent or two...and you don't have to buy in multiples to get that price (like at RCSS). Milk is one thing I don't buy at Costco because they sell Beatrice brand which we do not like.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 12:20 am
Milk is one thing I don't buy at Costco because they sell Beatrice brand which we do not like.
This is a regional thing.
In BC it's Island farms.
AB I think is Beatrice though.

Also I don't remember how much cream is at Wholesale Club here, but I could swear that it was more.
Where were you this morning so I could have checked. I was just there today.

I did notice that the 4L Foremost yogurts are $10 vs $11 at RCSS.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
May 14th, 2017 12:11 am
399g (WTF?) black peppercorns for $10.
178g grinder is $7.69 though.

Also searching for pepper at Walmart makes me think you meant ground black pepper which I didn't get a price for.
I was talking ground but I use both - Great Value peppercorns 290g are $5.97 so WM is a bit better. Once a month I order a box of basics, this kind of thing.
death_hawk wrote:
But I was waiting on condensed milk so I'm using that as an excuse. I picked some up today so I'll weigh them out.
What are you making?
death_hawk wrote:
Also bought a single Cantaloupe at Superstore today to time to see how long a little one takes.
They're no longer on sale and I paid $3 for one.
I hope this nets valuable data because it's less than half the size of Costco for not half the price.
Food Basics has COLOSSAL cantaloupe on this week for $1.88...think I'll have to get one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
lecale wrote:
May 14th, 2017 1:03 am
What are you making?
I just mix the 2 to be honest.

I'd make guac, but I'm too lazy to make tortilla chips mostly because I'm too lazy to go buy some tortillas.

Food Basics has COLOSSAL cantaloupe on this week for $1.88...think I'll have to get one.
Would you mind weighing it?
You don't have to break it down but I'd be interested in seeing what "colossal" means in terms of weight.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14540 posts
1095 upvotes
Toronto
ALLCAPS wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 1:33 am
You do what you think you need to do. There are numerous threads in this very forum asking 'is Costco membership worth it?' so you should read those for help if you need it.

I will say that membership is refundable at any time if you don't like it - so get a membership, buy why you'd usually buy then make your decision after a couple of months.

I've been a member for well over 10 years and don't see myself cancelling my membership anytime soon.
I made one of those.

Ultimately for me Costco is a bit too far and inconvenient for me. I rather just buy what is on sale olat no frills and food basics.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
788 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
May 11th, 2017 2:44 pm
I bought a http://www.unicornmills.com/Magnum-Plus/ so I don't have to worry about a grinder.
If anything I'd rather NOT have a grinder since it's an expense that could go towards more peppercorns.
I get it if you don't already have a grinder though.
Still... I love my Unicorn. The thing just DUMPS pepper. Most other grinders I have I've been tempted to attach to a drill just to get some pepper out.
Ya most Peppermills I've owned have been a disappointment (even the expensive Trudeau one) ... They seem to either jam up or the whole mechanism breaks. We discovered the Pepper in Grinders while on vacay in the US about 5 years ago (before they were here). Really like them, more so since we discovered they can come apart and are refillable. Which means they offer up the bet of both worlds. If the grinder breaks we just empty out the peppercorns, recycle the glass jar, and toss the lid / grinder. Easy Peasy.
How regularly?
Also would you mind taking note to see how much homo is?
I never use skim, 1% or 2%
It seems like all the time. It is usually in my offers for a particular day or week.
Buy Milk get 20x the points
Really great if it is one that timing wise corresponds to a SDM 20x the Points Event ... Then the offers stack
I was going to say I was going to switch like right now.
Then I kept reading...
Unfortunately the only thing I consume is 33%.
Half and half is only $2 and change regular price so all others aren't nearly as a deal.
Sounds like you go thru a lot of dairy. Are you making ice cream as part of a business ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4665 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
May 14th, 2017 8:01 am
Ya most Peppermills I've owned have been a disappointment (even the expensive Trudeau one) ... They seem to either jam up or the whole mechanism breaks. We discovered the Pepper in Grinders while on vacay in the US about 5 years ago (before they were here). Really like them, more so since we discovered they can come apart and are refillable. Which means they offer up the bet of both worlds. If the grinder breaks we just empty out the peppercorns, recycle the glass jar, and toss the lid / grinder. Easy Peasy.
I love my unicorn. I've had it for close to a decade now.
It's certainly not cheap though.

Sounds like you go thru a lot of dairy. Are you making ice cream as part of a business ?
For personal consumption currently. Business eventually... hopefully anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3506 posts
590 upvotes
Alberta
Mars2012 wrote:
May 14th, 2017 12:20 am
I don't know whether Wholesale Club extends to out East, but cream and whipping cream are the same price as Costco, give or take a cent or two...and you don't have to buy in multiples to get that price (like at RCSS). Milk is one thing I don't buy at Costco because they sell Beatrice brand which we do not like.
Goes for us too. The kids hate it and won't drink it, they say it tastes funny.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1056 posts
492 upvotes
Beaverton
death_hawk wrote:
May 14th, 2017 1:13 am

Would you mind weighing it?
You don't have to break it down but I'd be interested in seeing what "colossal" means in terms of weight.
2.48kg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)