Shopping Discussion

do you guys think a costco membership is worth it or should i keep going food basics/nofrills

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 8:17 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
Damn... that's pretty good.

Also I haven't forgotten about my avocados. I probably have and they're fuzzy by now but it still should be valid, if inedible.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
Credit: tynanwong off his webiste.

$2.77/blade.

Also this is the first time I remember seeing these on sale for quite a long time.
May 2, 2017
31 posts
1 upvote
Not worth for me at leastNeutral Face.
"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." ~ Bruce Lee
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2180 posts
67 upvotes
Like others have said, depending on your family size, Costco membership is only worth it if you have family size of 4 or more. If it's just wife + you, and you get gas from Costco on every fill up, otherwise it's not worth it.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3174 posts
633 upvotes
Mississauga
rsasp wrote:
May 16th, 2017 1:39 pm
Like others have said, depending on your family size, Costco membership is only worth it if you have family size of 4 or more. If it's just wife + you, and you get gas from Costco on every fill up, otherwise it's not worth it.
That's a silly analysis. Membership is $50. Just as an example if I buy a pack of baby spinach once a week I will probably save at least $50 over the course of a year. Everything else is gravy. There are many ways a membership makes sense even if you're solo or just 2 people.

Another example and this is actually true. I bought 2 boxes of kombucha 6 bottles for $14 when signing up. That would cost you $24 for 6 bottles elsewhere. 2 boxes mean a savings of $20 total. That is in one purchase I already made up a huge chunk of the membership cost.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4660 upvotes
JustMe2016 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 4:15 pm
3.55 kg for the one I got today from Food Basics. Stop there on my way back to buy a jar of Miracle Whip and remembered about the cantaloupe being mentioned in here.
WTF? I don't think I've ever seen cantaloupes that big in grocery stores.
I wonder if the West is getting the big end of the shaft again.
Jan 29, 2017
360 posts
141 upvotes
JustMe2016 wrote:
3.55 kg for the one I got today from Food Basics. Stop there on my way back to buy a jar of Miracle Whip and remembered about the cantaloupe being mentioned in here.
Nice catch, no frills will have .99 cantaloupes starting this week. Not sure about the size but worst case pricematch elsewhere.
Jan 12, 2005
377 posts
23 upvotes
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the propane fill ups are cheap in comparison.

Dad just filled the BBQ propane tank at Costco for $10. Price at nearest Canadian Tire is $22.

Fast food gift cards are also sold at a discount. You can get Pizza Nova or Pizza Pizza gift cards for 20% off. $50 gift card for $40 out of pocket. Buy enough and you could get enough savings to cover the membership fees on these alone
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3174 posts
633 upvotes
Mississauga
ariel wrote:
May 17th, 2017 7:12 am
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the propane fill ups are cheap in comparison.

Dad just filled the BBQ propane tank at Costco for $10. Price at nearest Canadian Tire is $22.

Fast food gift cards are also sold at a discount. You can get Pizza Nova or Pizza Pizza gift cards for 20% off. $50 gift card for $40 out of pocket. Buy enough and you could get enough savings to cover the membership fees on these alone
Are the propane fill ups by the gas station at Costco? My Costco does not have a gas station so I feel it won't offer propane tank fill ups :(.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Dec 1, 2012
992 posts
451 upvotes
Beaverton
JustMe2016 wrote:
3.55 Wow!!!!!!
I thought my 2.48 was big. :(

My new mission in life......find huge cantaloupes!
Women at the grocery stores are going to think I'm a pervert! Lol.
Images
  • 20170515_141030.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
ar2020 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:48 am
Are the propane fill ups by the gas station at Costco? My Costco does not have a gas station so I feel it won't offer propane tank fill ups :(.

I think the propane is served by the car service people, have a look.
Nov 23, 2008
288 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
ar2020 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:48 am
They aren't necessarily only at the ones with gas stations. I know from experience the one close to my parent's place refills propane, and there's no gas station there.

The store locator on the Costco website should list out available services for each store.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2006
1167 posts
57 upvotes
K-W
Zewo wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:40 pm
They aren't necessarily only at the ones with gas stations. I know from experience the one close to my parent's place refills propane, and there's no gas station there.

The store locator on the Costco website should list out available services for each store.
For example, Kitchener has no gas station but it does have propane. Just hit the buzzer at the propane station, someone will come out and give you a ticket, pay when you're done shopping, pick up propane on the way out. Easy peasy!
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14320 posts
1025 upvotes
Don't forget Costco carries those family size cereal box. I call it the obese special edition. Lol