Shopping Discussion

do you guys think a costco membership is worth it or should i keep going food basics/nofrills

  • Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 2:59 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2156 posts
760 upvotes
divx wrote:
May 5th, 2017 12:54 pm
costco parking sux, always hard to find a spot
and all those people aren't saving any money so you gotta figure what's going on.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
pootza wrote:
May 7th, 2017 10:30 am
and your point is?
That's what I read. It could be Costco shoppers don't all care about saving to the same degree.
pootza wrote:
May 7th, 2017 10:30 am
and how do they know "a typical Costco shopper earns $30,000 to $40,000 more than average"?
what is average?
is your income a question on the membership form?
how did they get that #?
Well, good question but all stores always do a ton of research on demographics, and points programs like Air Miles track your behaviour across multiple stores and banks. There's a ton of data out there on you and me because of our loyalty and shopping and web surfing activity and the credit cards we qualify for and own or not.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1923 posts
539 upvotes
North York
@death_hawk are the costco ones hass? whenever i've seen them they looked enormous, like no way they could be hass? truly they probably change all the time with the seasons and i just don't go often enough.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
quazy wrote:
May 7th, 2017 11:47 am
@death_hawk are the costco ones hass? whenever i've seen them they looked enormous, like no way they could be hass?
I'm certain they are.
If they aren't, they have the same characteristics in terms of flavor.
I know they're not the light ones because those taste like bullplop.
truly they probably change all the time with the seasons and i just don't go often enough.
Avocados don't have a season.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
May 7th, 2017 3:34 pm
I'm certain they are.
TIL Hass avocados are sold in sizes from 85g - 425g so you're probably right.
Sr. Member
May 17, 2012
653 posts
209 upvotes
grand valley
I miss the pistachios and excellent warranty on electronics at Costco. Thats about it...

I don't miss the crowds, the frustration of parking or door dings.

Wasn't right for us. Groceries (meat and produce) way over priced compared to no frills freshco.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10465 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
May 7th, 2017 3:34 pm
Avocados don't have a season.
California Avocados are from February to September, weather pending.
While Mexico's Avocados are year round, one bad weather issue outside of the Feburary-September California season means that the Avocados (in Mexico) will act as if they do have a season.
That's why some people might mistake (Mexican) avocados for something that has an actual season.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
6782 posts
978 upvotes
As I understood it, can't one just buy the gift card online, get it shipped home, then just go to costco and use it? And whatever wasn't used, they will give you a refund in cash.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 1:42 am
California Avocados are from February to September, weather pending.
I was talking about Hass because who cares about other avocados?
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 9th, 2017 3:17 am
As I understood it, can't one just buy the gift card online, get it shipped home, then just go to costco and use it? And whatever wasn't used, they will give you a refund in cash.
Sure. If you have a membership.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10465 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
May 9th, 2017 6:24 pm
I was talking about Hass because who cares about other avocados?
Hass Avocados have a season.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
May 9th, 2017 6:33 pm
Hass Avocados have a season.
From what I understand they can be stored on the tree until needed which negates the "season"
So it may not grow from whatever to whatever, between those months it's still holding viable fruit to be picked.

Also from what I can tell Mexico doesn't have a season and is 3:1 over California at least to the US.

I'm far too lazy to dig up any more arguments beyond this.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
959 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
May 9th, 2017 7:06 pm
I'm far too lazy to dig up any more arguments beyond this.
But you gotta tell us what the big pits weigh! I am on tenterhooks waiting to hear of ungodly 80g pits or something.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel

Top