Entrepreneurship & Small Business

do you guys think this restaurant sign to put in window looks good?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2017 6:09 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
This is somewhat my job as I own a company related to advertisign/web design so here are a few tips:

1. The font is not easily understood, unless you try to read it. The rule is, your brain should be able to read a sign, without actually reading it and it should take less than 1 seconds. It takes more with this sign!
2. Brush strokes are a bit too much. I'd minimize it or come with with something different.
3. The color is not very distinguishable, make it easier to read. Maybe darker outline at the very least
3. Make the font bigger as well, including the pricing info. At this point it's looks more like an ad for a painter/artist than a restaurant as half of the sign is lost to useless strokes which should only be there to compliment the sign and not steal the attention.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
dazz wrote: This is somewhat my job as I own a company related to advertisign/web design so here are a few tips:

1. The font is not easily understood, unless you try to read it. The rule is, your brain should be able to read a sign, without actually reading it and it should take less than 1 seconds. It takes more with this sign!
2. Brush strokes are a bit too much. I'd minimize it or come with with something different.
3. The color is not very distinguishable, make it easier to read. Maybe darker outline at the very least
3. Make the font bigger as well, including the pricing info. At this point it's looks more like an ad for a painter/artist than a restaurant as half of the sign is lost to useless strokes which should only be there to compliment the sign and not steal the attention.
thankyuo for you professional insight. obviously im not an expert and just someone with a few tools on the computer to whip something up.

the biggest thing u mention are ht e bruhstrokes. do u h ave any recomendations as an alternative to fill in the space on the sides? i thought the brush strokes would at first work since they seem "kind of " asian chinese thing. but i guess not haha

i pushed the strokes back and made the font bigger:
Images
  • Makeup by (2).jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: GEneric. It isn't awesome, but it isn't bad either.
I say its pleasant and professional. I mean... As long as the food/service is good, word of mouth will get around... and they'll bring their friends and family to eat there. :)
badOne wrote:
So Friday's special is some form of Chinese Buffet, and it reverts back to French on Saturday? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
snow00774 wrote: It looks good - I would maybe make the pricing font a little bigger :)
meepsheep wrote: I think the brush strokes are too random. What does it mean?

One | separating the LUNCH and DINNER is enough. Two kinda looks funny to me.

"FRIDAY'S SPECIAL" I would make it a bit smaller and more spaced out! Or use a skinnier font.

Perhaps a different colour scheme. Coral makes me think it'll be seafood/salmon instead.
meepsheep wrote: Oh alright. I mean, as a graphic designer, I only add stuff that's relevant to the theme. The brush strokes makes it look like an art event.
Casper wrote: Looks decent to me.
IMHO, the sign only matters if the food isn't good :) Otherwise, nobody cares about the sign.
Jerico wrote: How big will it be?

Friday and the price should be larger.
i made the font bigger. the actual size of the sign is like 2 feet by 4 feet.

and i pushed the brush strokes back so they dont stick out as much.

not sure what else to replace the brush strokes with lol, i was limited by the free banner maker online lol . but i can put manually images.
Images
  • Makeup by (2).jpg
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1534 posts
886 upvotes
Does the restaurant have a branding already? If so, follow the colors and fonts they used.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: i made the font bigger. the actual size of the sign is like 2 feet by 4 feet.

and i pushed the brush strokes back so they dont stick out as much.

not sure what else to replace the brush strokes with lol, i was limited by the free banner maker online lol . but i can put manually images.
Is it too stereotypical if you replace the brush strokes with some of those red paper lanterns?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: thankyuo for you professional insight. obviously im not an expert and just someone with a few tools on the computer to whip something up.

the biggest thing u mention are ht e bruhstrokes. do u h ave any recomendations as an alternative to fill in the space on the sides? i thought the brush strokes would at first work since they seem "kind of " asian chinese thing. but i guess not haha

i pushed the strokes back and made the font bigger:
Much better, I'd still increase the font size of the "chinese buffet even more, leave the rest as is. The bigger it is, the better for the business.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
dazz wrote: Much better, I'd still increase the font size of the "chinese buffet even more, leave the rest as is. The bigger it is, the better for the business.
If it's going in the window of the business, that makes no sense. The day and the price are most important.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1872 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: If it's going in the window of the business, that makes no sense. The day and the price are most important.
I agree. Proportions are everything.
Gin Martini wrote: Does the restaurant have a branding already? If so, follow the colors and fonts they used.
OP is using a free banner maker so they don't have control over finding the perfect font or graphics, I guess.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Much better, I'd still increase the font size of the "chinese buffet even more, leave the rest as is. The bigger it is, the better for the business.
Jerico wrote: If it's going in the window of the business, that makes no sense. The day and the price are most important.
It will cover half the window lol
Images
  • IMG_3543.JPG
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
meepsheep wrote: I agree. Proportions are everything.

OP is using a free banner maker so they don't have control over finding the perfect font or graphics, I guess.
we have . name, but no actual branding. maybe a specific font but its just a family business you know?

the sign is going in this window in my previous post. will cover, prob about half. its 2 feet by 4 feet
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1534 posts
886 upvotes
meepsheep wrote: I agree. Proportions are everything.

Yeah, I guess not. I forget sometime not everyone has Adobe CC or CS.
OP, your aspect ratio doesn't work. You have a 16:9 right now, you need a 2:1 (48 x 24 inches, or 4 x 2 feet). You'll need to crop a bit in height. I guess the app you use doesn't give you any options for bleed and DPI?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote: Yeah, I guess not. I forget sometime not everyone has Adobe CC or CS.
OP, your aspect ratio doesn't work. You have a 16:9 right now, you need a 2:1 (48 x 24 inches, or 4 x 2 feet). You'll need to crop a bit in height. I guess the app you use doesn't give you any options for bleed and DPI?
we dont really have a logo, just a name. small family business u know?

yes the online banner maker doesnt have much to play with other then pre loaded fonts and such. i left enough room for it to be cropped while still keeping some of the brush strokes on the side. i dont even know what u mean by bleed or DPI? :p

do you have any recomendations on something other then brush strokes or different font or background etc? i just hope the sign isnt a turn off .

i guess i could send the picture to a friend who has experience with photoshop for any further tweaks
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1534 posts
886 upvotes
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: we dont really have a logo, just a name. small family business u know?

yes the online banner maker doesnt have much to play with other then pre loaded fonts and such. i left enough room for it to be cropped while still keeping some of the brush strokes on the side. i dont even know what u mean by bleed or DPI? :p

do you have any recomendations on something other then brush strokes or different font or background etc? i just hope the sign isnt a turn off .

i guess i could send the picture to a friend who has experience with photoshop for any further tweaks
Don't worry about the design, you're making a promotional banner and as long as the message is clear (the special) and that you don't have a design that offend people (you know how some people are offended by the smallest thing), which yours doesn't, it's all good! No single design will appeal to everyone.

Bleed is for a design that reach the edges. Because a printer can't do edge to edge print, designers will make the file slightly bigger, like a quarter of inch, for this size of banner, on each side so when a printer will print it, say on a 50 x 30 inch paper, everything will be printed. They then cut the paper to a 48x24 inch so the edges will have prints.
DPI is dot per inch. You know how a 55 inch 4K tv looks twice as crisp compared to a 55 inch full HD tv? it's because it has twice the DPI. The more dots on a surface means crisper image.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
Looks very BLAND to me.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
I am guessing papaya is part of the menu? Theme is tropical? all guests must dress in tropical attire?

Edit: I just realize this was from 2 months ago. How did the Friday buffet go? Was your sign that you worked so hard on a success?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like an unnecessary amount of space wasted on the sides - I would make the text bigger as that is what's important here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)