Cell Phones

Do you guys use custom ROM's on your phones?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 8:20 am

Poll: Do you use custom ROM's?

• Total votes: 49. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, on my daily driver

24%
Yes, but only on older phones (backup, hand-me-downs, etc.)

12%
Yes, on my daily driver once updates run out on stock (I upgrade my phone rarely)

4%
No, but I have in the past

35%
No, no interest

12%
No, but I'd like to try

4%
What's a custom ROM?

8%
[OP]
May 8, 2009
1781 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W

Do you guys use custom ROM's on your phones?

There's been some discussion of custom ROM's scattered on some threads here. Would be cool to see what the RFD community thinks on a poll. Feel free to share your input in the thread.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
26 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11478 posts
1113 upvotes
Kanata
Yep, I have a Xiaomi and always run custom rom. Running Nitrogen Oreo as daily driver.
I suppose a question about whether running a modified stock rom is technically considered custom as well. On my Note 4, I did run the stock T-mobile ROM but it had been modified slightly. I think that would qualify as custom but some may differ.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3943 posts
529 upvotes
Aurora
No. I've played around with it in the past and did it for others. In the end, I found the convenience of stock ROM outweighs the maintenance and fiddling required of a custom ROM. My current phone, S7 Edge is on stock and it's fine.

Background: I'm a techie. Besides Odin, I subscribe to Chimera Tools. Still, on my own phone, I don't fool around.
Jan 13, 2014
605 posts
159 upvotes
Calgary
Using xXx No Limits on my OnePlus 5. It's mostly stock, but with a few enhancements.
Oct 14, 2015
596 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Noy worth it nowadays. You have the latest version number and security patch but lose the camera quality, screen calibration, audio quality, stock features and optimization.
Galaxy S7 with Koodo $46 3GB plan
Zoomer $40.5 2GB plan
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1525 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
Since I stopped purchasing Google phones, and my Oppo Find 7a in the dust, I have not flashed a custom ROM.

Maybe I grew out of it, I don't have the time to seek and play with different ROMs.

Unless it's a Google device, I refuse to play with custom ROMs.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13102 posts
2959 upvotes
Toronto
I try to go custom rom right out of the box where possible.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
1781 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Amourek wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:45 pm
Stock until the warranty expires and it stops getting updates.
@Amourek how long will a phone last you? Say you switch to custom ROM a year or two in, how many more months or years will you get on that phone on custom ROM?
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:53 pm
No. I've played around with it in the past and did it for others. In the end, I found the convenience of stock ROM outweighs the maintenance and fiddling required of a custom ROM. My current phone, S7 Edge is on stock and it's fine.

Background: I'm a techie. Besides Odin, I subscribe to Chimera Tools. Still, on my own phone, I don't fool around.
Not sure whether S7 Edge will get Android Oreo...even if it does, I suppose you don't need root?
will888 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:33 am
I try to go custom rom right out of the box where possible.
When you shop for a phone, are you specifically hunting out devices that will work with custom ROM or would you settle for a phone with a locked bootloader that cannot be unlocked if the deal is good? Do you find the Chinese brands to offer better custom ROM compatibility than Canadian carrier phones?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3107 posts
493 upvotes
GTA
Only in certain circumstances.

- if a phone has stopped receiving updates
- if I don't like the manufacturers Android skin

After using Nexus and Pixel phones, I've stopped rooting and caring about custom roms. Plus, your phone is more secure with a locked bootloader.

For family members with older phones like Moto Gs or Nexus 5s, I've gone and installed lineageOS for them and they're like new phones again
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10075 posts
407 upvotes
Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:11 am
@Amourek how long will a phone last you? Say you switch to custom ROM a year or two in, how many more months or years will you get on that phone on custom ROM?
Without custom ROMs, I'd still be stuck on Lollipop 5.0.3 on my LG G3. Instead, I've gotten an extra 2 years of updates. Overall I'm still fairly happy with it. This is the longest I've used a phone without upgrading (about 30 months).
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4930 posts
2195 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Used to run custom roms on every phone I've ever had - but that was for added features, performance etc. Nowadays, I find that most phones are good enough out of box
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Nov 3, 2007
787 posts
33 upvotes
Cambridge
i did it with a Samsung couple years ago never since
I looked into it last few week for my old Nex phone
To me no point: development gets handed off,betas, odd phone reboot issues, this or that bug,bootloader insecure, how do you know whats being done security etc as done by private individuals, and can be time consuming loading changing
Depends on the person up to the individual I guess and really to some extent the phone brand itself
Cambridge,Ontario
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7461 posts
2411 upvotes
ON
Mfr's are better at using less bloatware and frustrating UI elements that would make me want to change ROMs (at least my LG is ok) - plus I use the google launcher, which keeps it clean and gives some of the stock android experience.

In the past, I would root and flash my nexus phones once they stopped receiving official ROMs. But nowadays, there's less leaps between versions.
Where it was night and day to go from 2.4 to 4.0 and 4 to 5, to 6, etc there's less big reasons to need to jump these days as many features are being pushed as apps and play services and the core OS isn't that much different from previous versions.

So unless there is a huge OS update in year 3, I likely won't be doing custom ROMs this time around. A lot has changed since 2010 :)
Oct 26, 2016
50 posts
15 upvotes
Yes for older devices or if it does not have any support/update
No for new devices