Personal Finance

do you have to report tax when you are non-resident ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2006 6:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1627 posts
54 upvotes

6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
If you are a canadian citizen working overseas, then the answer is yes.

If you are a non-resident working in canada, then that is another story......
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
Your post is confusing ...

are you a non-resident living in Canada (aka, you are not a canadian citizen but living and working in Canada) ... if so, then, yes, you are required to file a Canadian Income tax return (based on your worldwide income)

Are you a Canadian citizen who is a non-resident of Canada (aka living somewhere else) ... then ... if you are really a non-resident for tax purposes (no owned house here (unless on long term lease), no financial accounts here (except maybe one bank account to support the long term lease), no brokerage accounts (but you can keep your RRSPs), no MSP, no drivers license, no immediate family (wife, kids), no health clubs, memberships, etc) ... then no, you don't have to file a Canadian Income Tax return (except in the year that you left canada on which you will clain non-residency).
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
oops I forgot about the 'residential ties' condition..... thanks for the link Rehan
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1627 posts
54 upvotes
CheapScotsman wrote:Your post is confusing ...

are you a non-resident living in Canada (aka, you are not a canadian citizen but living and working in Canada) ... if so, then, yes, you are required to file a Canadian Income tax return (based on your worldwide income)

Are you a Canadian citizen who is a non-resident of Canada (aka living somewhere else) ... then ... if you are really a non-resident for tax purposes (no owned house here (unless on long term lease), no financial accounts here (except maybe one bank account to support the long term lease), no brokerage accounts (but you can keep your RRSPs), no MSP, no drivers license, no immediate family (wife, kids), no health clubs, memberships, etc) ... then no, you don't have to file a Canadian Income Tax return (except in the year that you left canada on which you will clain non-residency).
no.. i'm canadian citizen but i know that i can apply for non resident if going back to hong kong and stay there for years.. do i need to report tax if i don't own anything in canada.
Aug 10, 2005
538 posts
22 upvotes
dealcatcher wrote:no.. i'm canadian citizen but i know that i can apply for non resident if going back to hong kong and stay there for years.. do i need to report tax if i don't own anything in canada.
if you have a clean break (previous poster listed many of factors considered by CRA already), then you don't have to file Canadian taxes

but if you don't have a clean break, then you have to file your worldwide income (including those earned in HK) in Canadian taxes

also, you need to file Canadian taxes if in that year:
1) was employed in Canada
2) carried on business in Canada
3) dispose Canadian property