Computers & Electronics

Do you keep your old music cds?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 11:18 am
Tags:

Poll: Do you keep your old music cds?

• Total votes: 39. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

87%
No

13%
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1511 posts
199 upvotes

Do you keep your old music cds?

I haven't listened to mine in years. What does your music library look like?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25466 posts
2767 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have over 1800 Audio CDs

Don't listen to any of them. Some are still sealed in the shrink wrap.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1511 posts
199 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:51 pm
I have over 1800 Audio CDs

Don't listen to any of them. Some are still sealed in the shrink wrap.
Why? What are you planning to do with them?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25466 posts
2767 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:52 pm
Why? What are you planning to do with them?
No plans, they aren't worth anything and most of the music I listen to are already ripped to MP3
Oct 14, 2009
467 posts
125 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
I like buying the CD and keeping it.

Although, I rarely actually listen to the CD after ripping it.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4931 posts
4870 upvotes
Toronto
About a year ago I tossed them all, put them on the curb and they were picked through by the hoards, about 1/2 of them taken, apparently the other half my taste in music sucks (sucked.) Not worth the space/hassle to store them anymore. All ripped to Google Play but either way I subscribe monthly so had access to 99% of it already.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10340 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yep. I prefer listening to CDs on my stereo. I'm an albums guy, and hate it when people do random songs, like a jukebox. I've been buying CDs like crazy, now that so many are available for a buck. I actually won an auction of 40+ CDs for $2.00. Most are stuff I don't want, but there were a few that I would have paid $2.00 for by itself, so got my money's worth. Rest I got rid of :) .

So sell all your CDs, so I can buy them for cheap :D .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7366 posts
492 upvotes
Yes but converted them all to digital. I still have them in the basement though.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2649 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
A lot of old media aren't really worth keeping due to mastering and production quality. If you still have a player sitting around I guess it's better than nothing, but if I had the time I'd just go through all the CDs, rip the decent-sounding files to my hard drive, scan the album covers, then dump everything.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10340 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
loserga wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:09 am
A lot of old media aren't really worth keeping due to mastering and production quality.
Yeah, I've replaced a lot of MP3s with securely ripped FLAC or CDs.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
recently I just went through my stash of 300 CDs and ripped them all to ALAC (we use iTunes). If I need FLAC down the road, it's easy to convert them without loss.

And I took all the CD's out of their boxes and stacked them together onto spindles. Sometimes I find that the ripper has trouble reading the CD and the file isn't extracted properly, so that's my backup in case the rip was bad. But no I don't ever intend to use them

I actually found some of my oldest CD's couldn't be read properly from the CD drive, so some of them might have gone bad or rotted. CD's are definitely not a forever format.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7462 posts
776 upvotes
Victoria
yes, but at this point I've converted most of them to FLAC, so I rarely use the disc. I also kept my ps3 around for the odd time I feel like playing a disc because they never got around to making a cd app on the ps4 (even though the optical drive can read cd's).
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10340 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:14 am
Sometimes I find that the ripper has trouble reading the CD and the file isn't extracted properly, so that's my backup in case the rip was bad.
And that's why everyone should be using a secure ripper. For Mac, I recommend XLD.
http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Secure ripper means that if it says ripped with no errors, you can be ~99% sure that it is bit perfect. Combine that with AccurateRip and you can be as close to 100% sure as possible.

warpdrive wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:14 am
I actually found some of my oldest CD's couldn't be read properly from the CD drive, so some of them might have gone bad or rotted.
Read the matrix of disc and see if it was made by Disque Americ. From around 1988 to around 1993, I've found that some of their discs suffer from rot. Capitol Records often used Disque Americ for their CDs.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3261 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
I have a collection of about 700 CDs. About 9 years ago I ripped them all to FLAC but I have still kept them for sentimental reasons. Now thinking of purging and keeping only the ones I'm really attached to and / or where there are significant and helpful booklets.

Google Play and other streaming services are great but there is a lot they don't cover.