• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2012 7:13 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2008
559 posts
26 upvotes

Do You Like the Genesis Coupe?

Planning on getting a 2012 Gen Coupe in a few months. I have a few questions for you RFDers…

1. How do you see the Gen Coupe (price wise, style wise, ect.)?
2. If you own one, what model is it and how do you find it overall in terms of ownership and the kind of response you get from people?
3. Is Nordschleife Grey the best colour? :razz:
4. Do you like or dislike the Genesis Coupe and why (brand snob, looks, ect.)?

Pics courtesy Generation

*this thread is not aimed at ballers, only ballers on a budget*
64 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23294 posts
1439 upvotes
Markham
Sat in one today at the dealership. The front seats is very spacious but not really in the back.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
OP: I say, don't worry about what others say about its style, look etc. If you like it, go for it, be yourself and don't let others influence your taste.

If you want advice, ask about its performance, fuel mileage, maintenance problems/prices, insurance costs, problems, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6698 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
It's a mildly sporty car at a non-sporty price. Of course there will be people that like/dislike it.

I personally like it - I compare it to the far east version of the camaro / challenger / mustang. Obviously if you like a decked out BMW then this wouldn't be the car for you, but if you want something in the 30k range loaded then it's a great bet. I've been impressed with Hyundai lately and loving my gf's veloster, which has been perfect so far.

It isn't fantastic on gas, which would be the only real downside for me.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2008
559 posts
26 upvotes
yao416 wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:11 am
Sat in one today at the dealership. The front seats is very spacious but not really in the back.
Being 6' 5", no one is going in the back seat except my gym bag. That reminds me...is the Gen Coupe a good car for tall people?
rfdrfd wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:19 am
OP: I say, don't worry about what others say about its style, look etc. If you like it, go for it, be yourself and don't let others influence your taste.

If you want advice, ask about its performance, fuel mileage, maintenance problems/prices, insurance costs, problems, etc.
Agreed. I'm not looking to have this thread become good hot car for a college student part 2.

I've calculated the costs and looked at it's shortcomings so I'm pretty satisfied with it as a top choice.
matdwyer wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:20 am
It's a mildly sporty car at a non-sporty price. Of course there will be people that like/dislike it.

I personally like it - I compare it to the far east version of the camaro / challenger / mustang. Obviously if you like a decked out BMW then this wouldn't be the car for you, but if you want something in the 30k range loaded then it's a great bet. I've been impressed with Hyundai lately and loving my gf's veloster, which has been perfect so far.

It isn't fantastic on gas, which would be the only real downside for me.
Yeah, I heard that gas mileage is not that great but you can't have it all right?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23294 posts
1439 upvotes
Markham
Did you test drive one yet?
Apr 28, 2008
334 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
btw the picture of the rear that you posted is of a GenCoupe with the 2013 taillights. I think 2010-2012 GenCoupe has the best looking front ends, and if you spend the extra $$ to get the 2013 taillights it'll look the best of both worlds.

The only thing you're missing there is the new engines. The 2013 2.0T has a new tune, and a twin-scroll turbo, and the new 3.8 has GDI.
[OP]
Apr 12, 2008
559 posts
26 upvotes
yao416 wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:34 am
Did you test drive one yet?
To be honest, didn't get the opportunity to test drive it yet (been quite busy). Can't wait though ;)
simonfzhao wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:37 am
btw the picture of the rear that you posted is of a GenCoupe with the 2013 taillights. I think 2010-2012 GenCoupe has the best looking front ends, and if you spend the extra $$ to get the 2013 taillights it'll look the best of both worlds.

The only thing you're missing there is the new engines. The 2013 2.0T has a new tune, and a twin-scroll turbo, and the new 3.8 has GDI.
Good minds think alike :cheesygri

That's the plan (3.8 base to be precise) :D
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6698 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
mod_it wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:33 am
Being 6' 5", no one is going in the back seat except my gym bag. That reminds me...is the Gen Coupe a good car for tall people?

I'm 6'5" & 300 and drive the veloster often & for long distances. The gen coupe is bigger (slightly) from sitting in it. There really is no "great" medium sized cars for tall people, if you want that go for a buick lesabre :lol:

I don't really fit in the back as the roof window slants down - basically have to lean my head sideways or slouch.
Apr 28, 2008
334 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
mod_it wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:43 am
Good minds think alike :cheesygri

That's the plan (3.8 base to be precise) :D

You will not regret it! :razz:
Why not just get the GT? You get legit brembos, great looking 19"s and Navi, you can finance for 60 months no interest or 72 months at 0.9%.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
1826 posts
3575 upvotes
Get the 2012 before they butcher the exterior for 2013+.

For 2012, 3.8 is the way to go cuz the 2.0T is underpowered unless you plan to mod it.

Nordscheleife grey / metallic grey is a good compromise between black (hard to keep clean but classy) & silver (easy to keep clean but not as baller). It is a sexy car when done up.

I personally wouldn't pay 40k for a Hyundai, but that's brand wh*ring. If you like it and can afford it, I don't see why not.
Jun 9, 2011
903 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
mod_it wrote:
May 1st, 2012 1:08 am
Planning on getting a 2012 Gen Coupe in a few months. I have a few questions for you RFDers…

1. How do you see the Gen Coupe (price wise, style wise, ect.)?
- best bang for the buck! get the 3.8L V6, 2.0T is underpower
2. If you own one, what model is it and how do you find it overall in terms of ownership and the kind of response you get from people?
- i have the 3.8 V6, love it, but you get what you pay for, my 2010 has the cheaper interior materials, and navi may not respond peroperly sometimes, say 20% of the time
3. Is Nordschleife Grey the best colour? :razz:
- i like my White, yellow is very rare
4. Do you like or dislike the Genesis Coupe and why (brand snob, looks, ect.)?
- i love it alot, it may not perform as expected, but it's a great head turner!
Please see my quote in red

Jul 9, 2004
577 posts
31 upvotes
Scarborough
I've had my '11 3.8 base for almost a year now and I still love it, no issues to speak of either. A lot of people are gonna hate on the car simply because it's a "Hyundai", but if you look past that, you'll see the car is a great value (especially with Hyundai's incentives). It's better equipped and IMO, better looking inside and out than any of the comparable V6 pony cars. My only complaints is that fuel consumption is so-so (11.8 L/100 km avg) and the rear window is pretty useless when trying to reverse.

There's also a good deal of aftermarket support for it, and with a few tweaks, the car really stands out.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15189 posts
760 upvotes
Woodbridge
Yes, I love the Genesis Coupe and overall the changes Hyundai has made.

m0cha wrote:
May 1st, 2012 8:53 am
I've had my '11 3.8 base for almost a year now and I still love it, no issues to speak of either. A lot of people are gonna hate on the car simply because it's a "Hyundai", but if you look past that, you'll see the car is a great value (especially with Hyundai's incentives). It's better equipped and IMO, better looking inside and out than any of the comparable V6 pony cars. My only complaints is that fuel consumption is so-so (11.8 L/100 km avg) and the rear window is pretty useless when trying to reverse.

There's also a good deal of aftermarket support for it, and with a few tweaks, the car really stands out.

I know the feeling, weeks after I got my 3.5SE Altima Coupe with "Poor Man's G."

Love the 19's! Clean look, matching the Rims.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
× < >