• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2011 11:07 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Do you like IKEA?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4610 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
Ikea's great. It's cheap, relatively stylish (at least a simple kind of style), and it doesn't last too long, but long enough. Meaning you'll never have the problem of feeling guilty about tossing a 10 year old piece of furniture because you want something new and different.
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
24 upvotes
I used to love Ikea and had all my furniture from them. I used to covet so many things from that store.

Now? I have a more antique taste so my main pieces are usually from antique shops. I'm always hard pressed to find something I actually want to buy at Ikea when I pop in for a look.

I did, however, buy my desk from Ikea not too long ago and the simplicity of it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I have the Vika Amon corner table with a short Vika table attached the the side. Tons of work space (for my nerdy obsessions) and simple without a hutch, drawers, etc. The whole rig was maybe 140 bucks.

I also pick up potted plants and picture frames there because they are way cheaper than anywhere else.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
201 upvotes
mod_it wrote:
May 13th, 2011 3:55 pm
The setup was a B@%^# and we had to deliver it ourselves so I can see why people hate this store. Also, why can't they put a price on the entire display instead of having everything separate. A small plastic flower and small vase does NOT have to be priced separately.

I'm kinda interested to know what you think about IKEA.

That is the idea behind ikea, you pick it up yourself and assemble it yourself. Thats why it costs so little. :lol:

The plastic flower and the vase need to be priced separately if you want to buy them separately :lol:

Anyway, I love me some cheap particle board furniture and cheap meatballs.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4327 posts
590 upvotes
My whole bedroom consists of IKEA furniture.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19149 posts
4236 upvotes
Thornhill
I've been working at IKEA for the past 2 and a half years part time during school, and now even when I have a full time job. Decent pay, benefits, and a decent discount (15% before taxes). I still wouldn't fully renovate my house with IKEA furniture, some furniture maybe, but not alot of them. They're literally beaverpuke thats waiting to disintegrate. Of course, prices reflect what they are, so I'm sure people don't mind. But I'm definitely keeping my eye out for some items that are solid wood, and keeping my eye out for IKEA gift cards in BST (mostly from people who buy kitchens/furniture where they get 15% in gift cards back as rebate), then combo it with my discount. I've furnished a mancave (errr.....den) with a couch, poang chairs, coffee tables, carpets, floating TV stand, DVD/CD shelves, LED lighting, and curtains for under $500 after the discount on both the gift cards and employee.

Also, in this economy, watch for the prices, I've been told that prices for food and furniture will go down(hotdogs will be less than 50 cents, unsure what it will be but seriously, how low can it go?). Yeah seriously, as if its not busy enough anyways. You come in, walk around a busy maze, to line up to get food from the cafeteria, then to line up again to pay for that food, in which you walk some more in that maze, then you line up to pay for your items. Of course, for big items you have to line up to pick it up from full serve, then if you need it delivered, you line up for it too! After thats all done, and you feel like a $1 frozen yoghurt or 50 cent hotdog, you line up for that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
IKEA is recycling every bit of the wood for bookshelves and stuff. Bad quality, etc. I have a bookshelve ripping in half right now
Aug 23, 2010
988 posts
88 upvotes
ikea is literally pretty crap

i like em
Contests Won: None :mad:
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2080 posts
338 upvotes
I think IKEA is everything a retailer should be. From their knowledgeable staff to their tools to help you make your purchase (rulers, pencils, plans, computer stations, accessible carts, clear instructions on where to find the item), shopping at IKEA is always my most pain-free experience.

I also love how they don't rely on 3rd-party suppliers for their products. If any issue arises with their products, IKEA will take care of it for you and stand behind it. Almost everything is in stock most of the times.

Plus, no kids/gangsters/low-incomers clogging up the isles and creating BS. A great atmosphere overall.

Basically, I view IKEA as the opposite of Walmart.
Nov 9, 2010
73 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
enhanced wrote:
May 15th, 2011 11:43 pm
I think IKEA is everything a retailer should be. From their knowledgeable staff to their tools to help you make your purchase (rulers, pencils, plans, computer stations, accessible carts, clear instructions on where to find the item), shopping at IKEA is always my most pain-free experience.

I also love how they don't rely on 3rd-party suppliers for their products. If any issue arises with their products, IKEA will take care of it for you and stand behind it. Almost everything is in stock most of the times.

Plus, no kids/gangsters/low-incomers clogging up the isles and creating BS. A great atmosphere overall.

Basically, I view IKEA as the opposite of Walmart.

Are you serious? Wow.....
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15769 posts
1682 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Half of my home furniture are from Ikea.

Love the ice cream.
Prize Won:
(2015-2016) Nothing big/Small...
(2014) Huawei Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
http://my.cutetaffy.com
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3268 posts
403 upvotes
Kingston
From a business perspective, their layout is brilliant. Unless you want to be a rebel and go against the arrows, you have to walk through the store in order to get out. This creates impulsive buying and thus is part of why IKEA is successful.

However, I voted "no" and the reason is that a lot of their stuff I find to be of poor quality. Their furniture like tables, dressers, night stands are horrid. We bought a dresser from them a few yrs back and the thing is an absolute piece of junk that we literally tossed it in the garbage in pieces. The dresser literally broke itself down into pieces.

As for the other stuff, I simply don't see the appeal. Like their beds, lighting, drapes, etc all looks like crap. Heck even the full kitchen makeovers that you spend $2 or $3k+ on doesn't even look that great. The kitchenware stuff is actually kind of decent for the most part.

Maybe it is just me but when I think IKEA, I think cheap junk. Don't get me wrong, there is some decent stuff in there, but is it enough to have me drive 2 hrs to Ottawa to get it, probably not.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19025 posts
1480 upvotes
As long as you understand what you are buying, IKEA is great. For what you are actually paying, the quality is incredible. Coffee table for $29 that I have been using for 7+ years? Check! Of course it is cheap garbage, but I knew that going in. It doesn't make it non-functional.

Also, they have a lot of very high quality non-furniture items for amazing prices. Check out their lighting and kitchen sections for what I mean.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
Icky=Eurotrash....cheap junk that you'll dump in a flash when you finally realize you're "all growed up" :razz: