• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2011 11:07 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Do you like IKEA?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
3772 posts
1067 upvotes
Definitely like Ikea. Quality product at cheap price.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
mrsandman wrote:
May 16th, 2011 4:20 pm
Icky=Eurotrash....cheap junk that you'll dump in a flash when you finally realize you're "all growed up" :razz:

But that's the point. Peoples' tastes change, but that $3,000 solid wood craftsman made dresser will never change. My parents have very nice, expensive, hand crafted furniture - that I would never want to have, let alone inherit. With Ikea, if you want something different, you can either modify it (not like you can ruin it by painting, cutting etc), or just toss it/donate it and get something else, at the most you're out a couple hundred bucks - and much less if you count how long you used it for. I don't want to spend a fortune on a beautiful antique piece that I may no longer want in 5 years, or if we move, or if we change something else and it no longer fits.
Feb 5, 2007
824 posts
90 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
May 16th, 2011 8:18 pm
But that's the point. Peoples' tastes change, but that $3,000 solid wood craftsman made dresser will never change. My parents have very nice, expensive, hand crafted furniture - that I would never want to have, let alone inherit. With Ikea, if you want something different, you can either modify it (not like you can ruin it by painting, cutting etc), or just toss it/donate it and get something else, at the most you're out a couple hundred bucks - and much less if you count how long you used it for. I don't want to spend a fortune on a beautiful antique piece that I may no longer want in 5 years, or if we move, or if we change something else and it no longer fits.

I'll spare you a rant about the "throwaway society" we've become, but personally, being able to appreciate the quality of a fine piece of crafted furniture will always trump Icky junk........'öld world craftsmanship'.... 'built to last' come to mind...I suspect this is a generational thing....
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11383 posts
1617 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't go there often but I really like IKEA. Everything about the store is just so darn efficient, from the parking lot to the signage, the non-obtrusive staff, and plentiful helpful accessories (rulers, pencils). As already mentioned, the layout is brilliant, being a simple linear path that takes you through the entire store. I generally like clean, modern lines and IKEA is exactly that and it's affordable to boot. Add some cheap, tasty food in their cafeteria and you've got a shopping destination! :)
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
mrsandman wrote:
May 16th, 2011 9:03 pm
I'll spare you a rant about the "throwaway society" we've become, but personally, being able to appreciate the quality of a fine piece of crafted furniture will always trump Icky junk........'öld world craftsmanship'.... 'built to last' come to mind...I suspect this is a generational thing....

Hey, don't get me wrong - I have no problem with people liking their nice furniture, and in a few years if/when I have the disposable income, I'd probably want some of my own. But right now, when I don't even know if I'll be living here next year, when my home is basically a place to sleep, it seems like a waste. All I'm saying is that in some instances, Ikea makes good sense. Would I want to retire with it? Probably not. Or to put it another way, not being "throwaway" quality wouldn't add any value to Ikea furniture because it is never intended to be permanent.

In contrast with others though, I hate actually going to the store - it's way too busy, everyone seems to need to bring their entire tribe along to block up the single pathway to the exit and look at everything. And then you get people trying to buy a sofa and somehow not realizing that they actually need to get this thing home. I'd much rather take the "experience" out of it and pick up my box and go home to attempt to put it together with only the help of wordless drawings of unclothed swedish people.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30077 posts
1344 upvotes
Fernando Po
Ottomaddox wrote:
May 13th, 2011 4:43 pm
I heard the same thing about London!

They need one in this area. All but one store in in the GTA, why do they need that many there?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19035 posts
1493 upvotes
mrsandman wrote:
May 16th, 2011 9:03 pm

There is a gaping chasm about the size of the grand canyon between "throwaway quality" and Ikea stuff. It is PRICED like throwaway quality, but it is certainly not. Like I previously posted, I have a coffee table and two end tables from there, as well as multiple DVD racks. Heck actually our entire bathroom suite is also from there. All of this stuff is 5 years old or longer, and looks and works FINE, and for the most part is as new as when we bought it.

On the other hand, we have a very nice dark-stained solid wood dining table we got when we moved in, that I now have to re-finish sometime at the cost of hundreds of dollars, because that is what happens to real wood stuff over time.

Aside from this, huge heavy wood furniture is certainly not today's style and taste for most people. It is too big and wastes too much space in an age of downsizing. Man made materials give the same amount of strength for a fraction of the thickness and weight.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7038 posts
90 upvotes
Nepean
I'm okay with IKEA. Their products are good enough for the price they offer. I find with their furniture if assembled correctly and used correctly, it tends to last. However, once you've taken it apart for moving or anything, it loses of the sturdiness. It's not the design but more of the materials issue at this point. You get what you pay, like always. Considering, most furniture now-a-days are made of all these cheap but recyclable materials, IKEA is indeed a bargain if you can overlook some of the design. But if you want anything solid wood or anything sturdy (high quality) you are looking at a much high price point.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30077 posts
1344 upvotes
Fernando Po
Ikea used better quality construction in the past. They'll often put out a well constricted product then cheapen it when its built its reputation. For instance, I owned one of the earlier Pong chairs, it used thicker wood, and large sturdy hardware. If you compare it to what the Pong has become, its now a cheaper knockoff. Even the ones I bought ten years ago where better made. If you want good mid-century modern stuff Ikea is no longer the place to get it.

Oh, btw, the guy who started Ikea would make a good RFDs member, I hear his a real piker.
Mar 17, 2011
6 posts
I agree with most of what was already said, however, I don't like the layout of the IKEA stores that much because you can't really stray too far away from the "track". Also, it can be deceptive. Sometimes you even have to buy fasteners/little widgets separately. I HAVE discovered that IKEA furniture requires some fiddling with. I usually get out the 'ol drill or tool kit and add a couple of screws/nails here and there just to make sure it's sturdy.

What I like about IKEA is that you can get a high end look on the cheap and if you are smart about it you can McGuiver it to be stronger/better looking and combine things in more interesting ways then what is displayed at the store. My apartment is mostly IKEA, BUT I would NEVER buy a sofa or a bed from IKEA< these are items which must be purchased from a more trust worthy store that delivers. The biggest pain in the butt is having to figure out how the hell you are gonna bring home your billy bookcase strapped to the hood of your car.
Mar 3, 2008
602 posts
261 upvotes
I used to love Ikea around 10 years ago. Now, there are only certain things I like.
Think much, speak little, write less.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2117 posts
1046 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hagbard wrote:
May 17th, 2011 6:43 am
They need one in this area. All but one store in in the GTA, why do they need that many there?

There are 3 in the GTA but they are still far enough from each other to be packed all the time. I wish they would make one around Aurora to accomodate the york region crowd. Last time i read the sign which was recently, york region's population was somewhere around 1.1 million plus Toronto's population of around 2.7 million.

That's 3 stores for a population of around 4 million and i don't know many people that haven't been to ikea.

I agree that they need stores in your area, I also think they need to build more stores all across Canada. Maybe they should consider a smaller yet still large store for less populated areas.
:D