Students

Do you need a laptop at University?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2005 1:18 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Do we need one?

• Total votes: 96. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

33%
No

46%
Wanted One

21%

Poll ended at Sep 12th, 2005 10:18 pm

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1362 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
I got a laptop just recently and will be heading into first yr... My reasons?

notes
in class entertainment
working @ library and just away from other comps
study tool
leeching university wireless connections (no bandwidth cap)
personal tool for everything I want :P
Sep 3, 2004
390 posts
8 upvotes
xaueious wrote:I got a laptop just recently and will be heading into first yr... My reasons?

notes
in class entertainment
study tool

LOL no bandwidth cap? You wish. My friend got ding-ed for excessive usage from downloading winxp sp2.

Mind you he was downloading 5 copies at once to test the speed of the wifi network :) .

I don't think a laptop is necessary. There are enough computers in my campus anyways that I can always find one when I need one. Taking notes with a keyboard is hard; it's pretty funny watching someone trying to draw graphs in MS OneNote using a touchpad! You won't have space for a mouse in a lecture hall.
Jul 29, 2005
132 posts
A lot of people I know that did not buy a laptop are really regretting it now. I have a laptop, and I don't bring it to class to take notes on. I don't even ever bring it to campus, for the most part. The main reason I like having a laptop is so when I go home for the weekend and want to bring my computer so I can work on assignments, I just throw it in a bag and go. I know I could use a flash drive and copy my documents to it, but it's a pain to try to think of every file you might need. Plus, if you're doing programming assignments, you might not have the right software on another computer.

So if you're going to be going home from school every couple weeks, that may be a reason on its own to get a laptop. Also, if you're in co-op (and hence may be moving around frequently), it won't take long to appreciate not having to lug a tower and crt around.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
xaueious wrote:I got a laptop just recently and will be heading into first yr... My reasons?

notes
in class entertainment
study tool
-using for notes depends on the type of class it is. I don't think that you can get through ANY university program without encountering things on the blackboard or screen that you can't use your laptop for. I'd like to see how well you can type out mathematical formulas with all those greek letters & special notations. It can be done, but not at the speed of writing. Theres lots of diagrams to take notes of too.
-in-class entertainment means not paying attn in class and screwing yourself
-study tool is valid if you don't have a computer in res/home
-its not leeching if you paid for your tuition and there are caps since you use your student info to log into the network.