Cell Phones

Do you need a new SIM card to unlock GSM phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 2:18 am
[OP]
Nov 3, 2007
20 posts
Toronto

Do you need a new SIM card to unlock GSM phone?

Hello, complete noob to unlocking phones here and just need some clarity on the process.

I have a Samsung S3 locked to Rogers and I would like to get it unlocked.
Do I need to get a SIM card from another compatible carrier to unlock the phone?

Do people normally get the SIM card from the carrier they want to join and then unlock the phone if they are not buying a new phone?

I went to http://www.cellunlocker.net/ and they state the following:

"WARNING: Your device must prompt for a network unlock pin after restarting with a foreign sim card. If your device does not prompt, then you do not need our services and you will not be refunded if still ordered. If your Metro PCS model has the ‘Device Unlock’application installed, please CLICK HERE!"

Thanks,
JP
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7960 posts
764 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
what you can do is get another sim card form a friend. Or even a non active sim card from another carrier and put it in your phone. It will pop up asking for the unlock code. You enter it and the phone will be unlocked. No need to actually go buy one just borrow one.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Jan 20, 2010
201 posts
14 upvotes
You don't need a new SIM to unlock, just Dial #7465625*638*# in your phone and you can enter your unlock code there.
Sep 2, 2012
191 posts
18 upvotes
gamebird wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2015 11:13 am
You don't need a new SIM to unlock, just Dial #7465625*638*# in your phone and you can enter your unlock code there.
Is this number sequence phone/manufcturer specific or works for all phones?
Nov 9, 2014
354 posts
52 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
tessar wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2015 11:37 am
Is this number sequence phone/manufcturer specific or works for all phones?
This dial pad sequence is for Samsung phones and wont work with any other phone except Samsung.
Local Phone Unlocker.
#1 Phone Unlocking Provider on the Internet
Virgin Mobile $40 4GB Unl. Province Wide, Unlimited Text/Pic Msg, $5 VVM
Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Sep 2, 2012
191 posts
18 upvotes
PhonesGuy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2015 5:45 pm
This dial pad sequence is for Samsung phones and wont work with any other phone except Samsung.
Thanks for the info.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1251 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
Hello, I bought a prepaid Koodo LG K4, and would like to unlock this. How do I access the unlock screen without using another carrier's SIM card? The code in one of the posts above doesn't work on this LG phone. Please let me know if anyone knows how to do this. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2432 posts
445 upvotes
Quebec
there is no code for LG K4 phone, you have to use another carrier sim card.
Nov 29, 2013
70 posts
31 upvotes
As HyperTech said, the code doesn't work for the LG K4.

There is no way to force the unlock prompt to come up without a sim from another carrier on the LG K4.

Do you have a friend that is on a different carrier? Or changed carriers before?
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56