Automotive

Do you order brakes and rotors online or let garage do it?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2019 9:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5275 posts
935 upvotes

Do you order brakes and rotors online or let garage do it?

I haven't done my brakes in probably ten years (switch vehicles before needed). Do you guys order the parts yourself or just let the garage do it? I have a 2014 Ford Fusion which I'll probably keep for another year or two but they told me the rear brakes are pretty bad. They quoted me about $450 parts and labour. Are there places online for cheaper I can find the parts and get any garage to do the labour?

Also they said my lugnuts are stripped and when putting my summer tires back on they said they don't know how tight they got them because I guess they're stripped? I guess I could probably find those somewhere cheaper as well?
67 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4991 posts
1680 upvotes
Canuckland
rockauto and don’t forget to find the 5% code
Mar 16, 2007
687 posts
62 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Rockauto is cheaper but ships from US. Shipping cost is higher.

You can also check 'parts avatar' and 'wrench monkey' for the pricing. Both ships from Canada. Parts avatar has a pickup warehouse in Brampton.

If you want some thing for cheap then check 'Max Brakes'. I believe their pricing on ebay is better than their website. Max Brake has warehouse in Richmond hill or Markham.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2647 posts
2651 upvotes
Vancouver
Your mechanic sent the car out with stripped lug nuts???
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12240 posts
12095 upvotes
Oakville
I buy my brakes online and change them myself at home.
How many KM on your car? Shop could be lying to about needing a brake change, it's pretty common, so inspect them yourself if you can.
Lugs are damaged by the shop hammering them on with impact guns, though Fords with the chrome capped lugs are extra vulnerable to damage.
Also, LOL at the shop telling you your wheel might fall off because they didn't tighten them properly.
You can buy replacement lugs for your car. I recommend regular ones and not the expensive chrome capped ones Ford sells.
Something like these, but they won't look as nice without the cap.
https://www.amazon.ca/White-Knight-1304 ... 00B2FCCDK/

This is the set I ordered for my dad's Escape that had the same issue. They're solid, but have a separate cap at the end so they won't have issues with stripping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N459459/
Jul 25, 2018
707 posts
1120 upvotes
Milton, ON
If your mechanic is okay with it, purchase parts online and have them do the job (but ask first). Should be about an hour worth of labour at their shop rate.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5275 posts
935 upvotes
derass wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 3:26 pm
Your mechanic sent the car out with stripped lug nuts???
Well they said it was tight but don't know how tight. I don't think the threads stripped but the part the wrench goes on so I guess it got tight but when would then slip?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1801 posts
1124 upvotes
Lugnuts you can purchase at Partsource for a couple of bucks each. Most shops won't install your own parts, or if they do they don't warranty them. Is the quote from a dealership or private garage?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2647 posts
2651 upvotes
Vancouver
Ah. So they're rounded. And not torqued to spec. Got it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5275 posts
935 upvotes
fusion2k2k wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 3:29 pm
Lugnuts you can purchase at Partsource for a couple of bucks each. Most shops won't install your own parts, or if they do they don't warranty them. Is the quote from a dealership or private garage?
It's a tune and brake place here in Winnipeg.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5275 posts
935 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 3:27 pm
I buy my brakes online and change them myself at home.
How many KM on your car? Shop could be lying to about needing a brake change, it's pretty common, so inspect them yourself if you can.
Lugs are damaged by the shop hammering them on with impact guns, though Fords with the chrome capped lugs are extra vulnerable to damage.
Also, LOL at the shop telling you your wheel might fall off because they didn't tighten them properly.
You can buy replacement lugs for your car. I recommend regular ones and not the expensive chrome capped ones Ford sells.
Something like these, but they won't look as nice without the cap.
https://www.amazon.ca/White-Knight-1304 ... 00B2FCCDK/

This is the set I ordered for my dad's Escape that had the same issue. They're solid, but have a separate cap at the end so they won't have issues with stripping.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N459459/
57,000kms. He said fronts were good but rear was metal on metal.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12240 posts
12095 upvotes
Oakville
baz5 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 3:54 pm
57,000kms. He said fronts were good but rear was metal on metal.
You could easily be able to get 80k KM on your brakes, but it depends what your drive is like (city vs hwy) and how you brake.
Do you brake lightly over long distance? That could cause more wear on the rears. Ideally you should be coasting and braking harder near the end of your stop. It'll keep front and rear brakes clean and wearing evenly.
Have you been regularly servicing your brake? If not, they could seize up and drag the pads.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5275 posts
935 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 4:05 pm
You could easily be able to get 80k KM on your brakes, but it depends what your drive is like (city vs hwy) and how you brake.
Do you brake lightly over long distance? That could cause more wear on the rears. Ideally you should be coasting and braking harder near the end of your stop. It'll keep front and rear brakes clean and wearing evenly.
Have you been regularly servicing your brake? If not, they could seize up and drag the pads.
Didn't even know you can service the brake!
I don't drive a ton as I've only put on 35k in three years, I'm more of a hard braker.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12240 posts
12095 upvotes
Oakville
baz5 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 4:09 pm
I don't drive a ton as I've only put on 35k in three years, I'm more of a hard braker.
I'm sure your owner's manual states that you should be regularly servicing the brakes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29513 posts
15359 upvotes
Ottawa
baz5 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 4:09 pm
Pull out the caliper slider pins, wipe off old grease and add new grease.
Want to go further, take off the caliper brackets and use a wire brush to remove all of the surface rust.