Automotive

Which Do You Prefer: Coupe, Sedan or Hatch.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2013 6:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Which Do You Prefer: Coupe, Sedan or Hatch.

I am a big fan of hatchbacks because they're great for cargo and still look good in 2 or 4 door configurations but that's me. Never been a fan of the sedans; always thought they were kind of for the family man with kids in the back seat type of cars.

Not sure when the HBs gain prominence but it seems like at some point manufacturers just ditched the wagons and shortened it to give it more sex appeal.
61 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Hatch, but only if they're standard body with hatch.
I hate the ones that chop off the rear end and toss on a hatch. E.g. aveo/sonic.
The point of the hatchback is cargo, why would you want less?!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
Hatch fan here, even though the back is always dirty.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Coupe. Classy. Excitement. Stylish. Sporty.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5862 posts
268 upvotes
RS6 Wagon.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely hatch. love my EP3.

If I ever get a coupe, I'd rather the lift back version vs the one with a traditional trunk. (Like the c6 corvette for example)

I might even prefer a wagon over a sedan but that's dependent on the model.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1521 posts
149 upvotes
Guelph
Hatch. I hate to say it because I think that coupes look best, but at the end of the day the trunk space and four doors are too good to pass up.
Nom nom nom.
Banned
Jan 3, 2013
222 posts
23 upvotes
i'm 23 and prefer sedans, lol. i prefer them because they're usually longer than their coupe counterparts, and i like long cars.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2012
5092 posts
5534 upvotes
Toronto
coupe or sedan, but if i wanted a hatch/wagon (which is basically an elongated version of the sedan counterpart), i would just go all out and buy an suv
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I am a big fan of hatchbacks because they're great for cargo and still look good in 2 or 4 door configurations but that's me. Never been a fan of the sedans; always thought they were kind of for the family man with kids in the back seat type of cars.

Not sure when the HBs gain prominence but it seems like at some point manufacturers just ditched the wagons and shortened it to give it more sex appeal.
Yep the wagons were ditched a while ago, for the most part. They were pretty much stigmatised as "family cars" like minivans are today. So back in the 80s the minivan was to the wagon as the CUV is to the minivan today. Only vans are at least still popular enough that they still exist. But that's changing as it seems Hyundai isn't going to have another van (?), GM seems to have given up the ghost on minivans, etc.

It's funny to think that back a few decades ago a minivan was "cooler" than a wagon, just like today a CUV/SUV is cooler (though not really more practical) than a minivan.

There are still a few wagons here and there of course but they ain't huge sellers in Can/US. HBs don't really have any prominence either, they have very low market share in the US; and, while the market share is better here, the overall sales numbers aren't enough for many car makers to sell their hatches here. In Europe OTOH, most cars are hatchbacks or wagons it seems!

Anyway, for the viewing pleasure of hatch lovers...the most badass hatchback :D
Jan 11, 2013
13 posts
coupes are so nice but I could never bring myself to get one... I feel they are so impractical :(
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11295 posts
6298 upvotes
Ontario
Used to be a fan of coupes. But now Hatches/Wagons. Like how they look and the utility they bring....hard to beat.

Not into SUVs or Minivans.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
sports wagon such as RS6 & E63 AMG are really nice.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
Hatch all the way.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
Station Wagon or five door hatch.

The problem is that most of these are now cross-overs with a higher stance or higher end cars like the S6 Avant.

In a perfect world I'd be able to get an Accord Wagon with a stick. Too bad I don't live in Europe.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3209 posts
1742 upvotes
Markham
I'm a fan of the more aggressive looking cars, which is always the 2-door coupes :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)