Toronto, ON

Do you price match groceries?

At Basic, Freshco, NoFrills, Metro etc.
102 replies
May 21, 2015
429 posts
158 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Yes.. I use the Flip app.. figure out what I want and hit one store for everything . The savings are better in my pocket than the Waltons or Westons. I have friends though who refuse to do it.. don't want to look cheap or they're embarassed.. Plus if it's a really really good sale there's the chance the store will have run out.. by price matching at their competitors your pretty much guaranteed it will be in stock.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6193 posts
800 upvotes
Well, is often the store policy to match I don't know why people feel bad for doing it. It is not like you are stealing from the store or try beat the system somehow. I know i gotten looks from people when I do at the cashier but I tried to not when they are busy and I think the store prefer my business staying there instead of to a competitor.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10416 posts
1354 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Food Basics doesn't price match.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
854 upvotes
Nope, i do most of my shopping @ Costco (much fresher/better protein/fruit/veggie/bakery) and SDM (pts for diary/snacks/chips) so no chance to PM at either location. Since that takes out most items, if something that goes on sale that i need, i just goto that location
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18597 posts
2100 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Easy to pm at wally world. Just show them the flyer in the app and they approve it. Saves a ton of money and time.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3223 posts
958 upvotes
I don't pm that much but if there is one thing from one flyer and one thing from another that is on sale, I won't make separate trips; I will go to WM and price match them both.
Oct 15, 2015
720 posts
429 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Does Maxi pm on groceries? do most of my groceries shopping at Maxi
Jul 11, 2011
663 posts
372 upvotes
Ontario
...since PriceChopper is across town, I'll often PM a few key items from their flyer when I do my weekly trip to NoFrills. I find that Price Chopper often has the best sales on produce
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2439 posts
983 upvotes
Calgaryish
Beneful1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 1:54 am
Yes.. I use the Flip app.. figure out what I want and hit one store for everything . The savings are better in my pocket than the Waltons or Westons. I have friends though who refuse to do it.. don't want to look cheap or they're embarassed.. Plus if it's a really really good sale there's the chance the store will have run out.. by price matching at their competitors your pretty much guaranteed it will be in stock.
When you're on your deathbed, are you honestly going to say, "Kids, I wished I had spent more of my life price matching groceries!"

Everyone has only a limited amount of time, concentration and willpower. It's worth being aware and realizing that certain items are usually less expensive at specific stores, but to invest even more time and effort into grocery shopping than you already do is a fool's game.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2015
2823 posts
24813 upvotes
Superstore, FreshCo and WM are the only price match stores in my area.

Definitely PM, and I use Reebee.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2076 posts
303 upvotes
Montreal
Alekxqin wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 1:24 pm
Does Maxi pm on groceries? do most of my groceries shopping at Maxi
Yes, at least the one at Angrignon does, though it is pretty restrictive (big local competitors only). They have a big panel at the entrance saying which competitors they will PM.

from www.maxi.ca :
“Imbattable. Point final!” / “Unbeatable. Period.” means if a major supermarket competitor, identified by the Maxi or Maxi&Cie store (where purchase occurs), located in the province of Québec and within this store’s geographical trade area, offers a lower price on any item that we carry in our store, simply show us an original copy of the printed or digital advertisement and we will sell you that item at the same price, limit of 4 units per item, regardless of varieties. We will match the competitor’s price only during the effective date of the competitor’s advertisement. We match identical items defined as same brand, item type (in the case of produce, meat, fish and bakery), format, and with pricing based on the same unit of measure as ours (sold per weight or per unit). This policy excludes private label items (with the exception of eggs, butter and potatoes), clearance items, after-sale rebate offers, “buy X and get Y”, “buy X and save on Y”, and “buy X and save the equivalent of taxes and/or deposit” as well as points, discounts or any reward obtained through loyalty programs. We reserve the right to refuse to apply the “Unbeatable. Period.” program if the competitor’s item price that a customer wants us to match results from a pricing error on the competitor’s part.
No rainchecks will be issued as part of the “Unbeatable. Period.” program. We reserve the right to identify the competitor(s) per each of our Maxi stores. The list of competitor(s) will be displayed in each Maxi store entrance. The “Unbeatable. Period.” program will not be applied if information in advertisement is incomplete (e.g., if the size or date are not indicated), or if the print or digital advertisement does not come directly from the competitor (e.g., from a website that is not the competitor’s). The Unbeatable. Period.” program does not apply to products sold by pharmacies that are affiliated to the CENTRESanté banner, “À Plein gaz” gas stations, dry cleaners, Canada Post counters or any other business operated by a third party within our stores.
In no instance will our “Unbeatable. Period.” program be applied if it violates applicable rules and regulations. “Major supermarket competitors” and “geographical trade areas” are determined solely by us and are based on a number of factors which can change from time to time. The “Unbeatable. Period.” program may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice. See store director for details.
Last edited by marc_t on Jan 10th, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo customer since 2006
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1348 posts
361 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
i find price matching meat is tough. you have to find the meat dept folks to reprice/relabel/reweigh the package. They're also very picky about the product and the description (ie. Angus vs. not Angus, AAA vs. AA, grain fed vs. not, etc, etc)
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13733 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto
Yes price match groceries and other items every week
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2076 posts
303 upvotes
Montreal
I found groceries that offer price-match, esp MAXI, do this a LOT :

HIDE competitors' specials

For example, let's say a hot item like deboned chicken breasts are on special for 5 $ / kg at Metro.

If you go to Maxi during that week, 99% guaranteed there will be no exact match for this product. (price-match will be denied if you try on a non-exact product)

Effectively, I found that employees are instructed to hide all the merchandise for competitors' specials.
Koodo customer since 2006
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel