Do you price match groceries?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 2:02 pm
Feb 1, 2006
703 posts
81 upvotes
stovetop wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 3:42 pm
i find price matching meat is tough. you have to find the meat dept folks to reprice/relabel/reweigh the package. They're also very picky about the product and the description (ie. Angus vs. not Angus, AAA vs. AA, grain fed vs. not, etc, etc)
Ya, and I've had RCSS hassle me saying "Ours is Club Pack" and YIG's flyer doesn't say "Club Pack"...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18557 posts
2030 upvotes
Poormond Hill
stovetop wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 3:42 pm
i find price matching meat is tough. you have to find the meat dept folks to reprice/relabel/reweigh the package. They're also very picky about the product and the description (ie. Angus vs. not Angus, AAA vs. AA, grain fed vs. not, etc, etc)
I don't blame them for being picky. One should not be allowed to price match a competitor beef with their Angus. Or AA with AAA. Or Wal Mart chicken breast with Prime....etc.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5158 posts
1341 upvotes
I dunno, I used to do it sometimes at Maxi (No Frills), they made it easy at the beginning but now they're making you jump through all sorts of hoops and only match certain chains of their liking (the most expensive ones)... so I usually just go to the grocery that's advertizing what I need including items that aren't on special. I barely go to Maxi anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2578 posts
147 upvotes
Pickering
I do, pretty much at Walmart or sometimes NF, however NF is getting a bit more picky about who they PM these days. Walmart is the easiest to PM at, I've even forgotten the flyer and they'll still PM for me. I need to shop for 5 of us every week, so yeah doing a few PM does help, usually at most 5 items but usually 1 or 2 depending on what's on sale at Walmart at the time. Doesn't take much time, just fold the flyer to the page the item is on sale and leave the items at the back of the line, never hold up anyone.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3007 posts
366 upvotes
GTEH!
Sometimes I pricematch Food Basics Flyers at Walmart or No Frills, becasue FB isn't close to me.
😎
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16041 posts
787 upvotes
Niagara Falls
intx wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 10:17 am
A few mentioned reebee and flipp, you can price match using your phone?
Walmart has never given me issue when I show them the item on my phone.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3544 posts
177 upvotes
Pickering, ON
All the time, barely takes any extra time using Flipp.

For the people arguing time, it actually saves us time and money by going to one place that PM's (RCSS, No Frills) and being able to grab everything we need on sale.

Agree about meat, it's a hassle and can be hit and miss. Last week we tried to PM chicken leg quarters at RCSS, and were told the flyer didn't say "air chilled".
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16041 posts
787 upvotes
Niagara Falls
BD006 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 1:30 pm
All the time, barely takes any extra time using Flipp.

For the people arguing time, it actually saves us time and money by going to one place that PM's (RCSS, No Frills) and being able to grab everything we need on sale.

Agree about meat, it's a hassle and can be hit and miss. Last week we tried to PM chicken leg quarters at RCSS, and were told the flyer didn't say "air chilled".
Well it saves you time, it causes everyone behind you time.
Nov 11, 2016
97 posts
61 upvotes
Although I have heard about it... I have never actually seen it done.

It never even occurred to me to try to do it on meat. I think unless it was Maple Leaf Bacon 450 grams... it would be near impossible.

I am not organized enough to do it and I think I would be very shy to do that to the cashier.

I always thought it was about electronics and sport equipment- bigger $$ items. But I suppose for diapers and formula - these are pricey and it makes sense.

I use Flip to find the best price on something that week... like Advil... if it is close to me I will go there and buy it... never thought of going to Walmart to purchase a Lawton's sale. I don't think I would.

Will have to ponder on this... although I love a deal, and have been guilty of pulling out 5-10 coupons... and use Checkout51...and MIR... this is one step beyond that causes me hesitation.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3056 posts
919 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 1:32 pm
Well that's life, buddy.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3544 posts
177 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 1:32 pm
Life sucks... deal with it? I'm sure other people lose 30 seconds of their life in a myriad of other ways, let alone a grocery store line.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10318 posts
1327 upvotes
City of Vancouver
BD006 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 1:30 pm
...Agree about meat, it's a hassle and can be hit and miss. Last week we tried to PM chicken leg quarters at RCSS, and were told the flyer didn't say "air chilled".
Water-chilled chicken and air-chilled chicken are different products!!!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
22730 posts
1921 upvotes
Aurora
retrothing wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 1:45 pm
Everyone has only a limited amount of time, concentration and willpower. It's worth being aware and realizing that certain items are usually less expensive at specific stores, but to invest even more time and effort into grocery shopping than you already do is a fool's game.
Don't hey you're being down voted for your opinion. Buy I agree with you.

I mainly shop at Costco and I buy what I need when I need it. Sometimes the item I buy goes on sale the week after. I get angry for 10 seconds but I don't rush back to Costco with my receipt for a price adjustment just to get back $2.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel