16198 posts
847 upvotes
Niagara Falls
lecale wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 1:58 pm
Well that's life, buddy.
BD006 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 2:07 pm
Life sucks... deal with it? I'm sure other people lose 30 seconds of their life in a myriad of other ways, let alone a grocery store line.
Wow, a bunch of self rightous wankers around here.

Generally speaking, when you're price matching more than 1 item it takes way longer than 30 seconds.

Go ahead and do it, but just be aware that you are inconveniencing other people for your own convenience. At least be aware that is what you are doing.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3252 posts
971 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:39 pm

Generally speaking, when you're price matching more than 1 item it takes way longer than 30 seconds.

Go ahead and do it, but just be aware that you are inconveniencing other people for your own convenience. At least be aware that is what you are doing.
If one person owes the other time, then one person also owes the other money.

Don't like a pricematch going on in front of you, dig out your wallet and offer $5-10 for that person to just stick it.

Or shop at the higher-end stores that don't pricematch, which again, saves you time at the price of money.

Convenience is not free. You have to pay for it everywhere. Stop thinking everybody is going to bend over backwards for your time for free.
Jun 5, 2009
92 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
Evil Baby wrote:

+1

In regards to just accepting someone wasting your time, I am sure that these knobs, given a scenario where a car has remained stopped in front of them at a stoplight, which has now turned green, for let's say *just* 15 seconds, these knobs would be on horn, yelling, ranting... We know how patient drivers are in general but these sage ones would wait because hey, it's just a little inconvenience right? Me first...
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16198 posts
847 upvotes
Niagara Falls
lecale wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:47 pm
If one person owes the other time, then one person also owes the other money.

Don't like a pricematch going on in front of you, dig out your wallet and offer $5-10 for that person to just stick it.

Or shop at the higher-end stores that don't pricematch, which again, saves you time at the price of money.

Convenience is not free. You have to pay for it everywhere. Stop thinking everybody is going to bend over backwards for your time for free.
I'm not expecting anyone to bend over backwards for me, I am expecting people to be reasonable and not add an additional 10 minutes to line up times while they argue with the cashier over 20 cents.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3252 posts
971 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:56 pm
I'm not expecting anyone to bend over backwards for me, I am expecting people to be reasonable and not add an additional 10 minutes to line up times while they argue with the cashier over 20 cents.
If you are a SAHM or a retiree, you have loads of time and a fixed amount of money. It is a trade-off between time and money, always. If you have money but no time, unfortunately you are going to have to spend money to save time. If you really need your time, then lay out the cash to avoid these people. That's just how the economy of time and money works. Sorry about all of our luck.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16198 posts
847 upvotes
Niagara Falls
lecale wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 4:00 pm
If you are a SAHM or a retiree, you have loads of time and a fixed amount of money. It is a trade-off between time and money, always. If you have money but no time, unfortunately you are going to have to spend money to save time. If you really need your time, then lay out the cash to avoid these people. That's just how the economy of time and money works. Sorry about all of our luck.
hey man, whatever helps you get through the night
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10536 posts
1383 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I went to the Real Cdn Superstore last week. All three sale items I wanted from the flyer were out of stock!! This issue with stuff being out of stock *all the time* is also a big reason why a lot of people resort to pricematching somewhere else.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
2449 posts
790 upvotes
Maybe if I was poor I would waste my time price matching groceries
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4279 posts
714 upvotes
Kitchener
Was at Zehrs (Loblaws) tonight and was checking out some items on "sale". They often have buy two for $X.XX or one for a little more. Some of the regular price tags were left behind the sale tags like this, so not much of a sale... almost a scam if you only buy one
Images
Jul 23, 2015
285 posts
109 upvotes
Gotta wonder if the ppl saying price matching is a waste of time would say about SCOP complaints. Don't let any of these corporations take any more money than they already do.

If ur time is so valuable hire a personal shopper.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3584 posts
204 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Evil Baby wrote:

OK, I'm aware. Better? I didn't realize you were just looking for some sort of acknowledgment, because it doesn't mean I will stop if that's part of the store's policy.

You're talking about something you don't seem very familiar with. Cashiers at stores that allow PMing have gotten quite efficient at it (hell, some don't even bother looking at my phone to verify). Generally speaking, I'm not price matching my entire purchase, perhaps 5 items, and yes they can get through it in 30 seconds (look at phone, override and key in new price, next).

If it bothers people so much, you're welcome to shop elsewhere (speak with your wallet) or write letters/e-mails to corporate about slower lines. Most grocery stores still do not PM, so you likely have options.
Dec 17, 2006
280 posts
65 upvotes
Calgary
This is redflagdeals, the elitism and judgment in this thread is pretty disappointing.
Nov 11, 2008
796 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Many grocery stores have a customer service desk. I usually go there to price match or I go in at quiet times.

I remember when price matching first came out that it could take a few minutes + manager approval to do. These days, it usually takes about 15 seconds.

There's simple reasons to do price match:
Keeps your store nearby competitive for everyone.
It's cheaper and more environmentally friendly than driving out to a further store.
It helps everyone with out of stock or poor product turnover scenarios.

Many grocery stores are already run by conglomerates. There's no reason for them to try to be competitive unless you give them one.

If your store has long lines, the most obvious answer is not because someone is price matching. It is because it is under staffed, peak times, or not ran well.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2230 posts
789 upvotes
cdogg26 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 1:47 am
This is redflagdeals, the elitism and judgment in this thread is pretty disappointing.
The stores should have separate lines for PM'ers and non-Pm'ers.
The PM'ers can spend the better part of the afternoon waiting in their separate lines.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2230 posts
789 upvotes
ToolHound wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:53 pm
In regards to just accepting someone wasting your time, I am sure that these knobs, given a scenario where a car has remained stopped in front of them at a stoplight, which has now turned green, for let's say *just* 15 seconds, these knobs would be on horn, yelling, ranting... We know how patient drivers are in general but these sage ones would wait because hey, it's just a little inconvenience right? Me first...
I would disagree and say it's the one that's playing with themselves, holding up traffic is the one with the me.me.me. attitude. You're driving ... concentrate on what you're suppose to be doing.