Shopping Discussion

Do you price match groceries?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 2:02 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14167 posts
2520 upvotes
Toronto
Spending an extra 5 minutes to price match and saving $5-$10 is worth it.
Newbie
Sep 17, 2013
58 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm assuming everyone uses Flipp to price match right?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7009 posts
986 upvotes
willstastyle wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:49 am
I'm assuming everyone uses Flipp to price match right?
yup
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
willstastyle wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:49 am
I'm assuming everyone uses Flipp to price right?
I find reebee is easier to screenshot to quickly show item, price, store, and sale dates.
Newbie
Sep 17, 2013
58 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
beachlover wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 12:10 pm
I find reebee is easier to screenshot to quickly show item, price, store, and sale dates.
Is there a reason why you're screenshot-ing when you can just pull up your app at the store and jump to items via the shopping list?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
willstastyle wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 1:19 pm
Is there a reason why you're screenshot-ing when you can just pull up your app at the store and jump to items via the shopping list?
Yes, I want to show the item quickly, so that my price matching takes less than 10 seconds per item, with the right cashiers. Way better than even using flyers. Not using any cell data either.
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
195 posts
146 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:39 pm
Wow, a bunch of self rightous wankers around here.

Generally speaking, when you're price matching more than 1 item it takes way longer than 30 seconds.

Go ahead and do it, but just be aware that you are inconveniencing other people for your own convenience. At least be aware that is what you are doing.
Same thing can be said about trying to negotiate better cable bills, home phone, internet, cell phone rates and a million other things which I am sure 100% of people do. Ever wonder why the hold time is 20 minutes before you even speak to someone at rogers/bell/fido etc. ? It's because people are in the que "price matching" trying to get cheaper rates thereby causing longer hold times for everyone else


"Go ahead and do it, but just be aware that you are inconveniencing other people for your own convenience. At least be aware that is what you are doing."

I price match groceries every time I go, if your annoyed because it took an extra 2 minutes, to bad for you. Go to a different line.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
16680 posts
1064 upvotes
Niagara Falls
fryguy1987 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 5:07 pm
Same thing can be said about trying to negotiate better cable bills, home phone, internet, cell phone rates and a million other things which I am sure 100% of people do. Ever wonder why the hold time is 20 minutes before you even speak to someone at rogers/bell/fido etc. ? It's because people are in the que "price matching" trying to get cheaper rates thereby causing longer hold times for everyone else


"Go ahead and do it, but just be aware that you are inconveniencing other people for your own convenience. At least be aware that is what you are doing."

I price match groceries every time I go, if your annoyed because it took an extra 2 minutes, to bad for you. Go to a different line.
Yay for you! You're so damn special, you get to save money!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I think everyone on this forum has issues following a damn conversation. I've already stated that I price match. My entire damn response was in reply to this
BD006 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 1:30 pm
All the time, barely takes any extra time using Flipp.

For the people arguing time, it actually saves us time and money by going to one place that PM's (RCSS, No Frills) and being able to grab everything we need on sale.

Agree about meat, it's a hassle and can be hit and miss. Last week we tried to PM chicken leg quarters at RCSS, and were told the flyer didn't say "air chilled".
To which I replied, it saves you money but cost everyone else time. That's what it does. When you force the cashier to take more time to attend to your needs it costs the people behind you time. There is no way around that. If you're OK being that guy, that's fine. But this attitude that F the person behind me, I need to save money is douchey. Especially for the type of people that want to argue over meats like the meat at Walmart is anywhere near the quality of cut at butcher or a higher end grocery store.
I price match groceries every time I go, if your annoyed because it took an extra 2 minutes, to bad for you. Go to a different line.
We'd freaken love to, but sadly there isn't s specific line for people who want to price match and those that don't.
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
195 posts
146 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 5:45 pm
Yay for you! You're so damn special, you get to save money!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I think everyone on this forum has issues following a damn conversation. I've already stated that I price match. My entire damn response was in reply to this



To which I replied, it saves you money but cost everyone else time. That's what it does. When you force the cashier to take more time to attend to your needs it costs the people behind you time. There is no way around that. If you're OK being that guy, that's fine. But this attitude that F the person behind me, I need to save money is douchey. Especially for the type of people that want to argue over meats like the meat at Walmart is anywhere near the quality of cut at butcher or a higher end grocery store.



We'd freaken love to, but sadly there isn't s specific line for people who want to price match and those that don't.
Your entire response makes no sense. You claim that "this attitude that F the person behind me, I need to save money is douchey". But yet you claim you price match yourself so are you saying your being a douche?

My point was in response to this line from you ""Go ahead and do it, but just be aware that you are inconveniencing other people for your own convenience. At least be aware that is what you are doing."

My point was that this happens everywhere and everyone does it in some form. Wether it be groceries or internet rates or hell even gym memberships. You probably wouldn't think it's douchey to call Rogers/Bell/X to try and get a better deal on your cable/internet/home phone/cell phone/Insert X here yet you are doing the same thing that the person who is price matching is doing. You are tying up a representative to save money which results in 20 minute hold times for everyone else trying to get thu which is no different than the guy holding up the line 1 minute for groceries.

Your thought process makes no sense. I could decided to walk out of Best buy and walk across the street to Walmart to buy item X because it's $10 cheaper there and using your logic I would be holding up the people in line at Walmart which would be "douchey" because I could have just bought the item across the street at best buy instead of tying up a spot in line in front of you at the Walmart cashier
Sr. Member
Jan 29, 2017
539 posts
511 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 5:45 pm
To which I replied, it saves you money but cost everyone else time. That's what it does. When you force the cashier to take more time to attend to your needs it costs the people behind you time. There is no way around that. If you're OK being that guy, that's fine. But this attitude that F the person behind me, I need to save money is douchey. Especially for the type of people that want to argue over meats like the meat at Walmart is anywhere near the quality of cut at butcher or a higher end grocery store.
Saves other people time as well. Imagine there are 3 stores with various deals. If I want all the deals I have to go to all 3 stores - meaning stand in line 3 times, interact with cashiers 3 times to pay, bag my grocery 3 times. Or I can make a single trip and do it all at once. Win for me, others and store. Sure there is a bit of overhead flipping the flyer app but it can be fast when you have everything saved and ready. You also always have the option to shop at stores that don't price match or you self checkout when available as there is no PM there. Enjoy paying more.

People who truly have no consideration for others are the one who have to neatly pack everything before paying, not being ready to pay when asked (can't believe how many people act surprised when they are asked how they want to pay), chit chatting with cashiers, cashiers helping clients to pack bags after payment instead of processing the next in line...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 25, 2004
3651 posts
276 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Evil Baby wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 5:45 pm
To which I replied, it saves you money but cost everyone else time. That's what it does. When you force the cashier to take more time to attend to your needs it costs the people behind you time. There is no way around that. If you're OK being that guy, that's fine. But this attitude that F the person behind me, I need to save money is douchey. Especially for the type of people that want to argue over meats like the meat at Walmart is anywhere near the quality of cut at butcher or a higher end grocery store.
Oh good grief... clearly, you must be Mother Theresa reborn :rolleyes:

1) No one is "forcing" the cashier, as you put it... the stores ALLOW it. Not sure why it's so hard to get that through your thick skull. It's grocery store competition that created this issue for you, NOT the customers.
2) I'm OK being that guy (obviously)
3) Still going with tough luck. As I said in another reply, you can speak with your wallet and shop where PM'ing isn't allowed or write to the companies and express your displeasure having to wait hours upon hours for people ahead of you. You can go during non-peak hours to avoid crowds/long line-ups. See... the ironic thing is, apparently the PMers are supposed to cater to you by foregoing what's openly allowed by the company. Now who's only concerned about themselves? :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
16680 posts
1064 upvotes
Niagara Falls
fryguy1987 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 6:39 pm
Your entire response makes no sense. You claim that "this attitude that F the person behind me, I need to save money is douchey". But yet you claim you price match yourself so are you saying your being a douche?

My point was in response to this line from you ""Go ahead and do it, but just be aware that you are inconveniencing other people for your own convenience. At least be aware that is what you are doing."
Good grief. That is not my point. My point was that if you price match you will be causing people behind you to wait longer. This isn't an opinion, this is a fact. If the cashier is doing something beside scanning said item (ie, price override) its going to slow the process down. What is douchey is all the responses that said Too bad so sad.
My point was that this happens everywhere and everyone does it in some form. Wether it be groceries or internet rates or hell even gym memberships. You probably wouldn't think it's douchey to call Rogers/Bell/X to try and get a better deal on your cable/internet/home phone/cell phone/Insert X here yet you are doing the same thing that the person who is price matching is doing. You are tying up a representative to save money which results in 20 minute hold times for everyone else trying to get thu which is no different than the guy holding up the line 1 minute for groceries.
Yes, and these people are even worse. Just like people who decide to stop in the middle of a door way to check their receipt or put their coat on, or find their keys. Don't be inconsiderate.
Your thought process makes no sense. I could decided to walk out of Best buy and walk across the street to Walmart to buy item X because it's $10 cheaper there and using your logic I would be holding up the people in line at Walmart which would be "douchey" because I could have just bought the item across the street at best buy instead of tying up a spot in line in front of you at the Walmart cashier
Yes, but you don't add to the time you're holding people up. Either you hold up BB customers for x amount of time or Walmart customers, but not BB X + y(price matching) amount of time.


And AGAIN, I'm not against price matching, just be considerate about it.

BD006 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:36 pm
Oh good grief... clearly, you must be Mother Theresa reborn :rolleyes:
Once again, I'm not actually against price matching.
1) No one is "forcing" the cashier, as you put it... the stores ALLOW it. Not sure why it's so hard to get that through your thick skull. It's grocery store competition that created this issue for you, NOT the customers.
When did I ever say stores don't allow this service?
They aren't doing it because you didn't ask them to do it, they are doing it because you did ask them to do it.
2) I'm OK being that guy (obviously)
Ok...
3) Still going with tough luck. As I said in another reply, you can speak with your wallet and shop where PM'ing isn't allowed or write to the companies and express your displeasure having to wait hours upon hours for people ahead of you. You can go during non-peak hours to avoid crowds/long line-ups. See... the ironic thing is, apparently the PMers are supposed to cater to you by foregoing what's openly allowed by the company. Now who's only concerned about themselves? :rolleyes:
Who's to say I don't already do this?
Jr. Member
Jan 3, 2017
195 posts
146 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 1:02 am

Who's to say I don't already do this?
You did, since you already stated you price match. It would be pretty stupid of you to write to a company complaining about price matching when you do it. It would also be pretty ironic of you to shop at a different store to avoid price matchers when you are one of them. People who price match is not that big a deal. They hold up the line for all of an extra 30 seconds to a minute. If you price matched like you claim you do, you would already know this. I'm at Walmart 2-3x a week and the # of times I am behind someone who price matches is maybe 1 out of 6.

The number of times I am behind someone who fights a cashier on price matching holding up the line longer than that is 1 outa 20. Noting to get worked up about.

And this is the most LOL of all the statements you made:

You state that "these people are even worse" (referring to people who try and get a better rate on their cable/internet/phone prices when their contract is up) By referring to them as "these people" you essentially exclude yourself from that category and are you seriously going going to try and claim that you have never phoned up any company anywhere to try and get a better rate than what you currently have?

That is no different than price matching, the end result is the same it holds up the line/que for other people, it's just price matching in a different form. You are ok with price matching but "those people" are even worse?

You contradict yourself more with every response.

Either you are against price matching or your not, in which case you either do it or you don't in all forms, weather it be at the grocery store line, or in the phone que at bell/rogers/x

You don't do it and then bitch when other people do it or refer to price matchers as "these people," essentially excluding yourself and then claim that you price match while alluding to the fact that you either write to companies complaining about price matching or that you go to stores that don't price match or you go at off peak hours to avoid them while claiming you price match yourself.

Talk about flip flopping all over the place.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
16680 posts
1064 upvotes
Niagara Falls
fryguy1987 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 9:19 am
You did, since you already stated you price match. It would be pretty stupid of you to write to a company complaining about price matching when you do it. It would also be pretty ironic of you to shop at a different store to avoid price matchers when you are one of them. People who price match is not that big a deal. They hold up the line for all of an extra 30 seconds to a minute. If you price matched like you claim you do, you would already know this. I'm at Walmart 2-3x a week and the # of times I am behind someone who price matches is maybe 1 out of 6.

The number of times I am behind someone who fights a cashier on price matching holding up the line longer than that is 1 outa 20. Noting to get worked up about.

And this is the most LOL of all the statements you made:

You state that "these people are even worse" (referring to people who try and get a better rate on their cable/internet/phone prices when their contract is up) By referring to them as "these people" you essentially exclude yourself from that category and are you seriously going going to try and claim that you have never phoned up any company anywhere to try and get a better rate than what you currently have?
Sorry, that was meant for another reply, this one.
People who truly have no consideration for others are the one who have to neatly pack everything before paying, not being ready to pay when asked (can't believe how many people act surprised when they are asked how they want to pay), chit chatting with cashiers, cashiers helping clients to pack bags after payment instead of processing the next in line...
That is no different than price matching, the end result is the same it holds up the line/que for other people, it's just price matching in a different form. You are ok with price matching but "those people" are even worse?

You contradict yourself more with every response.

Either you are against price matching or your not, in which case you either do it or you don't in all forms, weather it be at the grocery store line, or in the phone que at bell/rogers/x

You don't do it and then bitch when other people do it or refer to price matchers as "these people," essentially excluding yourself and then claim that you price match while alluding to the fact that you either write to companies complaining about price matching or that you go to stores that don't price match or you go at off peak hours to avoid them while claiming you price match yourself.

Talk about flip flopping all over the place.
Thanks for picking out 1 of the things BD006 mentioned that I was quoting and saying I contradict myself.

Once again, I'm not against price matching. I'm simply stating that if a person is to price match to save on time and money for themselves they are going to be costing other people time. Just be considerate when you're doing it, don't try and price match items that clearly should not be price matched (deli meats from different stores), don't try to price match half your shopping list and make sure you have everything ready and easily readable for the cashier.

I'd be the majority of the people with attitude that is too bad, so sad, I'm saving money are the same ones who are not considerate. They're going to argue with the cashier over the toilet paper eventhough clearly one store has a case with 24 rolls and the other store has 28 rolls, or they'll leave their cart in the middle of the isle while they go pick something up because that's quicker for them, or they wont pull their cart out of the checkout like while they bag their groceries because it's too awkward for them to maneuver around their own cart. Too bad, so sad, I'm saving myself time, and time is money.

Top