• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 2:02 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2161 posts
614 upvotes
peli33 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 6:43 pm
Saves other people time as well. Imagine there are 3 stores with various deals. If I want all the deals I have to go to all 3 stores - meaning stand in line 3 times, interact with cashiers 3 times to pay, bag my grocery 3 times. Or I can make a single trip and do it all at once. Win for me, others and store. Sure there is a bit of overhead flipping the flyer app but it can be fast when you have everything saved and ready. You also always have the option to shop at stores that don't price match or you self checkout when available as there is no PM there. Enjoy paying more.

People who truly have no consideration for others are the one who have to neatly pack everything before paying, not being ready to pay when asked (can't believe how many people act surprised when they are asked how they want to pay), chit chatting with cashiers, cashiers helping clients to pack bags after payment instead of processing the next in line...
Well said, and thought out. I couldn't agree more. Not to mention the extra gas used driving around to three stores, therefore polluting the environment for all.

Key is having all the screenshots saved and ready, like has been said.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2230 posts
789 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2017 2:59 pm
Spending an extra 5 minutes to price match and saving $5-$10 is worth it.
For someone who buys coffee at McDonalds and Tim Hortons, I can't really fathom you as being someone who wants to save money.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13767 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
pootza wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:07 am
For someone who buys coffee at McDonalds and Tim Hortons, I can't really fathom you as being someone who wants to save money.
So far this year I only bought Tim Hortons twice and McDonald's 0 times. So not sure where you are getting your facts from?
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13767 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
pootza wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:07 am
Also what does price matching have to do with buying coffee? You can say I get free coffee with the price match savings.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2230 posts
789 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:13 am
Also what does price matching have to do with buying coffee? You can say I get free coffee with the price match savings.
But you can also say that you have to price match groceries so you can buy your waste of money Timmies.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2230 posts
789 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:12 am
So far this year I only bought Tim Hortons twice and McDonald's 0 times. So not sure where you are getting your facts from?
I got my facts from your posts.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13767 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
pootza wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:21 am
I got my facts from your posts.
Which post? The one were I say McDonald's Coffee is better than Tims. I haven't spend a single penny on McDonald's coffee this year, all free from their promotion. I also bought Tims twice this year one for $1.60 and one for $1 with their Dark Roast coupon. Anyways let's get back on topic here.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13767 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart is the easiest to price match with
Dec 5, 2015
824 posts
227 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I do it sometimes at Walmart..But not for like meats/produce ...I do it for processed foods and etc

Like when no frills had their $2 Chapman bars...I just pmd at Walmart
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7911 posts
3723 upvotes
I never used to do it before, but do it all the time now that I have RCSS around the corner from me. They're always ok price matching and I don't have to go running around for different deals.

Every Thursday night, I spend 15 minutes pinning stuff I need on Flipp and I'm good to go for the week.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3599 posts
459 upvotes
Richmond
marc_t wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 9:27 pm
I found groceries that offer price-match, esp MAXI, do this a LOT :

HIDE competitors' specials

For example, let's say a hot item like deboned chicken breasts are on special for 5 $ / kg at Metro.

If you go to Maxi during that week, 99% guaranteed there will be no exact match for this product. (price-match will be denied if you try on a non-exact product)

Effectively, I found that employees are instructed to hide all the merchandise for competitors' specials.
or small business owners who clean the store out of available stock pming multiples of the same item, resulting in an empty shelf early. Got bad enough that my local rcss refuses to do so anymore and will only do it for a few of the same items.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5184 posts
1374 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:41 am
Walmart is the easiest to price match with
I found that to be completely the opposite at my local Walmart. So I guess YMMV.
In my case, just one more reason to hate WM even more and avoid them, even if it means paying a few extra pennies elsewhere.
Oct 7, 2016
761 posts
393 upvotes
retrothing wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 1:45 pm

When you're on your deathbed, are you honestly going to say, "Kids, I wished I had spent more of my life price matching groceries!"

Everyone has only a limited amount of time, concentration and willpower. It's worth being aware and realizing that certain items are usually less expensive at specific stores, but to invest even more time and effort into grocery shopping than you already do is a fool's game.
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 8:20 pm
Maybe if I was poor I would waste my time price matching groceries
But you guys are willing to "waste time" complaining about people price matching. Makes no sense. RFD is supposed to be a positive community for those looking to share deals and save money.

If you don't like waiting in line for people price matching, adjust your shopping by going to stores that do not offer price matching or not shopping during peak grocery shopping days/times.

Weekly my "poor" self saves at least $20 per week with price matching items, buying only sale items, utilizing points programs as well as credit cards with cashback rebates. On my "deathbed", if I can say I saved $1000+/year on groceries I think that may be worth the few minutes it takes for the cashier to input overrides.

For those that do price match, going into stores organized with apps like Flipp, organizing price match items by store before checking out and using a cashier that knows what they are doing helps speed things up.
Koodo: $25 unlimited talk & text
Zoomer: $36 400 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings/weekends/text & 2gb LTE
Ebates: Lifetime Cash Back - $625.34
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13767 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
WHO wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 10:33 am
I found that to be completely the opposite at my local Walmart. So I guess YMMV.
In my case, just one more reason to hate WM even more and avoid them, even if it means paying a few extra pennies elsewhere.
Do they give you the excuse, we only price match local competitors?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2454 posts
1000 upvotes
Calgaryish
rolomonster wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 3:33 pm
But you guys are willing to "waste time" complaining about people price matching. Makes no sense. RFD is supposed to be a positive community for those looking to share deals and save money.

If you don't like waiting in line for people price matching, adjust your shopping by going to stores that do not offer price matching or not shopping during peak grocery shopping days/times.
The trouble with online forums is that people tend to read too emotion into simple statements that aren't always meant as Big Ideas.

I was skimming through this thread months ago and left a comment because my thought was basically "With all the challenges and stresses that most people have in their busy weeks, is price matching a good use of time?" And it turned out to be the most downvoted thing I've ever posted on RFD, simply because it went against the flow of the thread.

But it's important to stand out from the crowd and ask, "Is X behaviour really worth it?" The answer is complex. Some will manage to save significantly, others might find themselves spending more because they're purchasing "good deals" that they might not have had the impulse to buy without a focus on flyers, sale prices and conscious thought about price matching.

I'm glad price matching works for you. Carry on and by all means share your strategies with the RFD community. :D