Shopping Discussion

Do you price match groceries?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 2:02 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8474 posts
1403 upvotes
save on is super easy, i show the item on my phone with flipp, done deal, 10 seconds.

i dont do it for 30 cents or anything, but say i get sent to get stuff to make a cheescake, that can range from 20-40$ in materials. price matching is good for that scenario.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5258 posts
1461 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 3:51 pm
Do they give you the excuse, we only price match local competitors?
Nope, they give me the excuse : we don't PM eggs, because they're not the same brand (when I'm trying to PM "store brand" AKA Great Value vs No Name or other store name) or butter or other products that basically all stores have their own "store brand" for.

Maxi, AKA No Frills, has no problem PMing store brands, but then again lately they've started to take issue with PMing SDM flyer which ironically also belongs to Loblaw...
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14189 posts
2543 upvotes
Toronto
WHO wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 1:47 pm
Nope, they give me the excuse : we don't PM eggs, because they're not the same brand (when I'm trying to PM "store brand" AKA Great Value vs No Name or other store name) or butter or other products that basically all stores have their own "store brand" for.

Maxi, AKA No Frills, has no problem PMing store brands, but then again lately they've started to take issue with PMing SDM flyer which ironically also belongs to Loblaw...
The different brands matching has always been an issue. If the brand is the same, they will match no problem.
Aug 4, 2006
306 posts
89 upvotes
GTA - Gwill
RCSS, No Frills, Price Choppers ... my local ones are now limiting the PM to just 4. Might as well stop PM and go to the other stores.
Nov 18, 2013
173 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 5:00 am
or small business owners who clean the store out of available stock pming multiples of the same item, resulting in an empty shelf early. Got bad enough that my local rcss refuses to do so anymore and will only do it for a few of the same items.
Is this why every time I go to RCSS to price match a great deal, the first day the flyers come out, the shelves are conveniently empty? I always assumed RCSS was removing the stock from shelves til the competitor's sale ended. It has happened so many times, I stopped bothering with RCSS.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3700 posts
491 upvotes
Richmond
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 3:14 pm
Is this why every time I go to RCSS to price match a great deal, the first day the flyers come out, the shelves are conveniently empty? I always assumed RCSS was removing the stock from shelves til the competitor's sale ended. It has happened so many times, I stopped bothering with RCSS.
Could be the case with yours as well. The small business owners usually show up early in the morning. At least the the majority of them do anyways. ANd by early I mean very early. literally right when the store opens.
Jan 29, 2017
552 posts
513 upvotes
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 3:14 pm
Mine has also a 4 of same item limit (except for weight based items) and I noticed missing stock. However this is not only limited to items on sale or good things to PM, it is bad overall for popular products. When I ask for additional stock they typically will provide by the time I'm done shopping. I seldom run into other PMers so I wonder to what extent PM is having an impact on their bottom line. With food prices beating inflation and easiness of PMing, I'm surprised more people not taking advantage of this.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6851 posts
1003 upvotes
The trouble is really, you may be preaching to the wrong crowd since this is RF Deal. ;)

Honestly, the second thing is your whole premise is PM'ing is a waste of time and researching for the best prices is even more so. However, what you don't seem to understand is that may only be true in the old days.

Now, I can search all the flyers in my area by the click of a button and the name of the item on my phone in one app.. For example, every week I buy Milk, eggs and bread. On my phone, I even have those items saved in the search and when I pressed "M", milk pop up and I know exactly which store has the best prices and I just show that to the cashier to ask for a PM. Repeat twice and I have the 3 main items I need for the best price of the week, all done at one store for another extra mintue or two compared to not matching at all or could be upto hours in saving from driving and line up at 3 different stores.

I can understand that even that may be too much work for some people and that is fine, too. Only thing is, why are you wasting time on RFD then ??? JK. ;)
retrothing wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:55 pm
The trouble with online forums is that people tend to read too emotion into simple statements that aren't always meant as Big Ideas.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jul 27, 2016
172 posts
116 upvotes
Does anyone here know for certain if WalMart will price match Giant Tiger?

WalMart has Burns Flakes of Ham for $2.27 a can while the new Tiger flyer has it for $0.88
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19159 posts
2745 upvotes
Poormond Hill
PierreS299131 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 6:59 pm
Does anyone here know for certain if WalMart will price match Giant Tiger?

WalMart has Burns Flakes of Ham for $2.27 a can while the new Tiger flyer has it for $0.88
Yes, they will. I have done it before.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6858 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
I have never price matched,
I feel bad keeping the line back just to do a price check or SCOP something.
I also prefer to give the business to the store that actually has the item on sale.
I hit two stores on average per week so I figure what stuff I want the most, or which store has more of the items I want at a good price.
When I go to any store I still do end up buying some stuff that was not on sale so that may sometimes determine the store I visit as well.
I do not condemn those who price match though, and my hope is that they do it at the less busy times like weekdays before the after work crowd etc.
It makes a lot of sense to price match and get all items at one location.Convenient and saves on gas and time.
I had a friend that would go to every major store on a Saturday to pick up the few items from each store that he wanted from the flyer.
I'm sure it was an adventure for his kids driving around with him.
I'm sure all the gas he used it may have still been worth it as he usually bought multiples too.
If not buying multiples though the benefits may not outweigh the costs enough to make it worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6851 posts
1003 upvotes
^If more people are price matching at just one store, there will be less people lining up at those other stores in the first place and improving the overall speed.

I actually don't mind people in front of me trying to price match a few items out of many since I do the same too. However, it p me off a bit if there is a guy in front of me, just buying all the on sale items at that store and he is likely going to go to another store and do the same again, waste his own and other peoples time.

Something to think about.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: