• Nov 12th, 2018 4:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2867 posts
572 upvotes

Do you shart more as you grow older?

My "friend" has never been a gassy person but he has been finding that he's quite gaseous in the past couple of years to the point that it's become uncomfortable to hold it in and messy if he lets it out. Has anyone experienced this? He's too embarrassed to get it checked up at the doctor.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20014 posts
2171 upvotes
Montreal
Doesn't this belong in health and unwellness?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2867 posts
572 upvotes
Sorry I didn't even see a forum for that. Can someone please move this.
Oct 26, 2017
48 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
Is this happening at work or home? Cause if it's at home, just sit on a toilet to shart. If it happens at work, then he should get some paper towels from the bathroom, and just wear it in his underwear like a feminine hygiene product. It will absorb the shart, but keep in mind it won't muffle the sound or smell. FACT.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Try an elimination diet as FODMAPs can be the cause: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

Could be lactose intolerance. For example, if they drink lattes, this will cause gas. There is a time delay, so a lot of people don't make that connection.

I have never heard of gas as a sign of colon cancer. But, blood in the stool is (dark stools, indicating bleeding from further up the gastrointestinal tract).

I have never heard of age having an effect. How old is the friend? Are they taking medications?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9755 posts
1421 upvotes
I am not sure if mr_raider was joking or not but he is correct, this is not the place to seek for medical advice. Based on your description, your friend should see a doctor, there are some questions needed to be answered. Age, sex, diet are all factors of bowel leakage. is your friend a diabetes?
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 11:31 am
Sorry I didn't even see a forum for that. Can someone please move this.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19774 posts
8362 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
see a doctor

upvoted for use of the term "friend"
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6242 posts
2370 upvotes
Kootenays
Clicked just to see what "shart" was. Wasn't disappointed.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 4:20 pm
see a doctor

upvoted for use of the term "friend"
Do we have to visit the doctor for every little thing?
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2670 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 2:38 pm
sharting is definitely not a little thing
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4663 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
its normal as we get old, like elderly old (80s? - tho everyone is different). How old are we talking about?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20070 posts
1736 upvotes
Toronto
the act of sharting is tied to the weakening of the sphincter......they need to do more exercises and clenches to strengthen......

They aren't "inserting" things into their butt are they? That could cause sphincter muscles weakening and stretching....

Diet also plays a part - process of elimination to see what could be causing watery loose stool or remnants - start with lactose (i.e. drink coffee black) and diary and monitor their daily diet....

It could also be tied to IBS as well......

get it checked out....
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 2:38 pm
In BC, people can call 811 to ask these types of health questions: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/services-an ... bout-8-1-1

"8-1-1 is a free-of-charge provincial health information and advice phone line available in British Columbia. The 8-1-1 phone line is operated by HealthLink BC, which is part of the Ministry of Health. By calling 8-1-1, you can speak to a health service navigator, who can help you find health information and services; or connect you directly with a registered nurse, a registered dietitian, a qualified exercise professional, or a pharmacist. Any one of these healthcare professionals will help you get the information you need to manage your health concerns, or those of your family..."