Off Topic

Do you still live with your parents? How old are you?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 1:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7023 posts
219 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 3:56 pm
contrary to popular RFD belief, life is not all about money...
No one says it is but in life you have to make smart financial decisions if you have aspirations.

When they say you get "freedom". Um no. That is a joke. There is no freedom in working 2 crappy jobs just to make ends meet. I have been there.

A person will have more freedom if they stayed home, save up, fix whatever it is you need to fix in your life THEN make the right moves.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Feb 13, 2015
232 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This thread could have many answers and reasonings, so here's mine. I live with my parents and I'm 25. I would love to move out and live alone but I'm not financially capable, I would even love to move out with a SO but I don't have one atm and the ones I had in the past weren't serious. But I don't mind living with my parents and they don't seem to care. I'm willing to move out if I have to or if I find a SO, that's pretty much it.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10855 posts
1473 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Whatever. I hope that RFD surgeon gets early onset Parkinson's.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2687 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 5:14 pm
No one says it is but in life you have to make smart financial decisions if you have aspirations.

When they say you get "freedom". Um no. That is a joke. There is no freedom in working 2 crappy jobs just to make ends meet. I have been there.

A person will have more freedom if they stayed home, save up, fix whatever it is you need to fix in your life THEN make the right moves.
If time free of work is your definition of freedom than I would say the freest people in our society are those on welfare.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2089 posts
101 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 10:06 pm
Whatever. I hope that RFD surgeon gets early onset Parkinson's.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1623 posts
115 upvotes
I'm 27 and my parents will shelter me until I'm married lol. Until then, saving money, having free groceries and my own privacy is still a good way to live independently. I wash the dishes most of the time, do my own laundry and pay some of the bills. I get it that most people live their lives on their own to invite guests over, that I can still do but very limited. I'm still a man of course and will try my best to help out my parents and have them to live comfortably after when I'm gone at some point. Being single helps too so I don't have to worry about expectations of not living on my own yet
Last edited by bucklemyshoe on Jul 4th, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7530 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
I left home when I was 28 years old because I found another job in a different city. I rent a place by myself and the rent cost me half of my net income already.

Advice for those who is still living at home, save the most as you can. Once you moved out, you are responsible for al your household expense (rent, utilities, phone/internet bill, etc...), the amount you can save drop down a lot.
I regret I didn't save much when I was living at parents.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7530 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
Bebo123 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 3:34 pm
Yes still at home with parents.
52 yrs old here and never been married.
Free rent and home cooked meals
Do you work?
Or Parents still giving you pocket money?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
794 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
lay offs are common nowadays. it is impossible to get steady jobs.
how does one expect to buy a home in Toronto?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13907 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 3:44 pm
I moved out when I was young and it was really hard. It took me a couple of years before I was able to save up.

If I can do it again, I would stay and not lose time/money paying rent to a landlord. I could have bought a home quicker and the price was much much lower.

Anyone who says that people should move out as soon as they reach 18 doesnt know what they are talking about. Its a TERRIBLE financial move.
You know what else is a TERRIBLE financial move? Growing up and actually living like an adult instead of letting mommy and daddy control everything about your life. If you really wanted to save up you'd spend your entire life in your childhood bedroom and bring your wife and kids in there with you.
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 5:14 pm

Moving out is a way of fixing what's wrong in your life. My parents actively prevented me from moving out when I wanted to by taking all the money I'd earned from my high school jobs (to 'save for me') and ransoming it back to me with conditions that I go to a university that kept me living with them. I spent years wasting my life commuting 4 hours a day to go to a school I didn't want to go to while living with people I couldn't stand. All my money went to escapism, my plans for my life were shot, and I consider those wasted years the low point of my life. Moving out was the best thing I've ever done. My life effectively unpaused once I'd actually done it, only with me greatly behind all my peers who'd actually left when they were supposed to and had the chance to move forward.

There is absolutely no freedom living in some isolated suburb eking out a living from dead-end jobs in the area while spending all your time and money commuting and going out because you have no place to call your own. If you're really lucky in that scenario you'll get a car and can waste your entire paycheque on the obscene insurance costs in this province instead of being able to save by having people over and cooking like an adult.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Sep 19, 2013
845 posts
209 upvotes
Winnipeg
picard12 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 1:57 pm
lay offs are common nowadays. it is impossible to get steady jobs.
how does one expect to buy a home in Toronto?
so whats your point, continue to live with your parents because you could fired and cant afford to buy a house.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7023 posts
219 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 3:36 pm
You know what else is a TERRIBLE financial move? Growing up and actually living like an adult instead of letting mommy and daddy control everything about your life. If you really wanted to save up you'd spend your entire life in your childhood bedroom and bring your wife and kids in there with you.

Moving out is a way of fixing what's wrong in your life. My parents actively prevented me from moving out when I wanted to by taking all the money I'd earned from my high school jobs (to 'save for me') and ransoming it back to me with conditions that I go to a university that kept me living with them. I spent years wasting my life commuting 4 hours a day to go to a school I didn't want to go to while living with people I couldn't stand. All my money went to escapism, my plans for my life were shot, and I consider those wasted years the low point of my life. Moving out was the best thing I've ever done. My life effectively unpaused once I'd actually done it, only with me greatly behind all my peers who'd actually left when they were supposed to and had the chance to move forward.
What a TERRIBLE idea.

As soon as you move out you will have to be responsible for everything. Try getting a great job at 18. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy. If you dont have the best hook up in the world, you will get a low wage job. There is enough time to be "on your own".

Any parent who wants their kid to leave to "teach" them to be independent is ignorant. That is some fantasy you see in western movies. That is far from true. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy.

Its really stupid to leave if they dont have anything saved up and not a have a good full time job just so they can "learn a valuable lesson". That lesson can be learned wether your 18 or 25. The only difference is you will have money to put down on a house instead of barely making it.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Jul 1, 2017
43 posts
2 upvotes
bucklemyshoe wrote:
Jul 4th, 2017 11:04 pm
I'm 27, Asian and my parents will shelter me until I'm married lol. Until then, saving money, having free groceries and my own privacy is still a good way to live independently. I wash the dishes most of the time, do my own laundry and pay some of the bills. I get it that most people live their lives on their own to invite guests over, that I can still do but very limited. I'm still a man of course and will try my best to help out my parents and have them to live comfortably after when I'm gone at some point. Being single helps too so I don't have to worry about expectations of not living on my own yet
dude, why do you have to ruin it for all us asian kids by saying that stuff !!?!
Jul 1, 2017
43 posts
2 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 3:36 pm

There is absolutely no freedom living in some isolated suburb eking out a living from dead-end jobs in the area while spending all your time and money commuting and going out because you have no place to call your own. If you're really lucky in that scenario you'll get a car and can waste your entire paycheque on the obscene insurance costs in this province instead of being able to save by having people over and cooking like an adult.
Just because your parents did something strange that most other wouldn't do, that shouldn't cause you to assume that all parents would do the same. That's sort of unreasonable.
I'm sure you've heard of other parents who are quite pleasant and loose with their kids, unlike yours.

I feel sorry that you didn't get to enjoy the best students years of your life
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
794 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
amitdi wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 3:44 pm
so whats your point, continue to live with your parents because you could fired and cant afford to buy a house.
there is no point of buying a house. parents will give you their house. Europeans have adult children living at home. it is common practice there. Italians have been doing it since Roman empire.
Why is it a taboo in this country?