Off Topic

Do you still live with your parents? How old are you?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 1:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1623 posts
116 upvotes
yellowtrash wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 4:30 pm
dude, why do you have to ruin it for all us asian kids by saying that stuff !!?!
I don't understand. How am I ruining it with my point of view? I don't represent all Asians, I represent myself only. Should I remove the 'Asian' part to make it better?
Jul 1, 2017
43 posts
2 upvotes
bucklemyshoe wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 6:11 pm
I don't understand. How am I ruining it with my point of view? I don't represent all Asians, I represent myself only. Should I remove the 'Asian' part to make it better?
yes, absolutely, please remove the 'asian' part because you are really reinforcing the terrible stereotypes already in place
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1623 posts
116 upvotes
yellowtrash wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:45 pm
yes, absolutely, please remove the 'asian' part because you are really reinforcing the terrible stereotypes already in place
oh right I see what you're saying haha. Will edit that out
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14330 posts
1026 upvotes
shawn01 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 12:55 pm
Caucasian male here 35 left home at 19 after school got a trade and here we are lol I work with a bunch of Italians (I'm a plumber come on lol ) and some have kids that are 28 still living at home parents paying for university and parents bought them a new car , I know Italians keep there kids home till the get married and buy them a house hahaha ( if that's still doable ) but when these guys get pissed at their kids, they say we should have done it the MUNGIE CAKE way after high school get the kids out lol. It's defiantly a culture thing but living at home till 30, it's a wonder you guys can't get girlfriends, they would be dating a man child lol
You come off pretty immature for 35. Goingon Previous threads and all the Lol.

But i agree with urban poet. It's cultural.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2095 posts
101 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 4:32 pm
I don't find living away from parents to be a sign of "independence". A person on welfare and renting a room is obviously not "independent".

To me, people need to disassociate independence from living accommodations. It's only one signal at best. To me, independence means 1) financially indepedent, 2) emotionally independent 3) and having a clear sense of self.

So...I think a person living with his parents because his parents need to be taken care of is probably BETTER than an independent person. Dependence < independence < Interdependence. Learning to create win-win and dealing with people is much more important to becoming independent.
I pretty much have the same attitude. Everyone's circumstances and their financial background is different. Although I'd place learning to become emotionally independent as a higher priority than financial independence. It's easy to feel envious when someone else maybe in better position than yourself but a person should learn to walk on their own accord and then aim to become financially independent. If you know how to first prudently serve yourself then you can more appropriately serve others and how much.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1066 posts
310 upvotes
New York City
Can't believe this thread is still going on!

Skimming through quickly, it seems like the overall consensus is that it is fine for adults to live with their parents (financial, cultural, no other options etc...).

I think it is also the demographic on this forum, many are from Toronto, millennials, asian decent etc...

While I appreciate that not everyone has the option/opportunity to live independently, they will miss out on the experience. Similar to those who study in a different city and live on campus dorms, backpacking around the world, doing an international exchange etc...which are priceless to do it while you are still young.
Jul 5, 2017
3 posts
McKinsey wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 9:16 am

which are priceless to do it while you are still young.
Working 2 or 3 jobs to pay the rent in a crappy apartment with my roommates the roaches and rats. Living paycheck to paycheck. Being stress out everyday am I going to be kicked out. Yeah that experience was priceless to meSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1066 posts
310 upvotes
New York City
User418686 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 2:51 pm
Working 2 or 3 jobs to pay the rent in a crappy apartment with my roommates the roaches and rats. Living paycheck to paycheck. Being stress out everyday am I going to be kicked out. Yeah that experience was priceless to meSmiling Face With Open Mouth
I guess you'll find examples at both extremes. Some of us did not have to go through what you did, but I'm sure many millennials have.
Jan 26, 2017
82 posts
54 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 1:52 pm
Do you work?
Or Parents still giving you pocket money?
Live off government welfare money...
And u?!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7549 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Bebo123 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 11:15 pm
Live off government welfare money...
And u?!
I work and make my own living since I start working full time.
I been renting in some ghetto apartment, moved to basement apartment to save more money, then bought a small condo myself and now moved to a detached house in GTA.

Always proud of making and spending my own money.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3592 posts
1121 upvotes
I had a crazy fundamentalist type mother that believed that women shouldn't: cut their hair, drive, get an education, have a bank account, be anywhere unchaperoned, or get involved with scandalous modern innovations like socks, contact lenses, tampons, clothing with elastic waistbands...she tried to set me up with a guy who was one of 16 kids whose sisters were married young and all in the process of belting out a dozen kids apiece...

I wasn't kicked out, I escaped...in pretty sheltered and ignorant condition, at 17.

It's not the money that you are missing by having agreeable parents that let you stay at home: it's the wisdom. I learned, but my success was always delayed by a long period of early ignorance. You only have so much time in life so solid guidance is priceless, IMO.
Jul 5, 2017
3 posts
For those of you who have a good relationship with your parents. Move out when you feel you are ready. Because if you leave early just for the sake of being independent and can't handle it. You run back home with your tail between your legs and your confidence flush down the toilet. You will be emotionally screwed, It will take you longer to move out again. You have plenty of time to be emotionally independent . Now if you can't stand your parents yeah you have no choice move out.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2547 posts
718 upvotes
Vancouver
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 12:40 pm
Its not a big deal for pretty much most of the world except North American whites and maybe western Europeans...
I think its a north american phenomenon of leaving the nest early in your adult years. Perhaps the (historically) high levels of wealth and equality in North America allowed this to happen. "The american dream" where any one can make it...
But South Europeans, eastern Europeans, Africans, South Americans, East/South-East/South Asian's are okay with nesting at home in your adult years.
Exactly. I bet most 16 year olds all over the world would move out in a heartbeat if they'd win the lottery, especially South Europeans, eastern Europeans, Africans, South Americans, East/South-East/South Asians , who have parents that tend to be more conservative than the ones in North America and Western Europe. While in highschool I wish my parents would let my girlfriend sleep at our place and have breakfast all together in the morning (after I would have banged her all night, of course :D ) ... there's an article about some US teenager doing this in Sweden, or smth like that, can't find it right now. This, of course, assuming the very unlikely possibility of HER parents allowing her to spend the night at my place ... so yeah, I wanted to leave my folks house (I'm not from North America or Western Europe, btw) ever since I was 16, but I was only able to do it when I got a job that paid well enough :(
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2095 posts
101 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 11:55 am
It's not the money that you are missing by having agreeable parents that let you stay at home: it's the wisdom. I learned, but my success was always delayed by a long period of early ignorance. You only have so much time in life so solid guidance is priceless, IMO.
This. This is important.

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.