Off Topic

Do you still live with your parents? How old are you?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 1:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10105 posts
117 upvotes
User418686 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 4:41 pm
For those of you who have a good relationship with your parents. Move out when you feel you are ready. Because if you leave early just for the sake of being independent and can't handle it. You run back home with your tail between your legs and your confidence flush down the toilet. You will be emotionally screwed, It will take you longer to move out again. You have plenty of time to be emotionally independent . Now if you can't stand your parents yeah you have no choice move out.
Being worried about making it on your own at 19 is a bit different from being worried at 27. That is already a fail in some respects. Your drive will most likely only go down as you get to 30+ so 20s are the time to take life-changing chances...
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2180 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
I think pretty normal to be at home still for asians, south asians. thats just my observation.
no need to move out if not financially ready to.
1% listing commission only.

Platinum award winner.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7337 posts
1208 upvotes
What's with this north american obsession of moving away from your parents? I see people scraping by but they "celebrate" they don't live with parents. Ok... Also, seen parents literally kicking their kids out. Why the heck did you bother rising them then?

To me as an European is very foreign, as myself and many of my friends back in Europe and here in Canada stay with parents or visit them very often. Many try to get properties very close to parents and many parents help a lot rising the grandchildren especially if they are close to retirement or retired.

It's just this north american culture where kids and parents go to great lengths to stay apart, like it's cool or something.

Also, this thread feels very much like a e-peen contest
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2673 posts
169 upvotes
oasis100 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 5:54 pm
I think pretty normal to be at home still for asians, south asians. thats just my observation.
no need to move out if not financially ready to.
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 11:26 pm
What's with this north american obsession of moving away from your parents? I see people scraping by but they "celebrate" they don't live with parents. Ok... Also, seen parents literally kicking their kids out. Why the heck did you bother rising them then?

To me as an European is very foreign, as myself and many of my friends back in Europe and here in Canada stay with parents or visit them very often. Many try to get properties very close to parents and many parents help a lot rising the grandchildren especially if they are close to retirement or retired.

It's just this north american culture where kids and parents go to great lengths to stay apart, like it's cool or something.

and may be Europeans? ⬆
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Jun 15, 2012
761 posts
53 upvotes
MB
Messerschmitt wrote:

We have similar approach in Ukraine. My uncle in his 50th still lives with his wife with his parents, but his children moved out.
Are you talking about Germany?
"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2547 posts
718 upvotes
Vancouver
charlesd79 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 1:51 am
Exactly. I bet most 16 year olds all over the world would move out in a heartbeat if they'd win the lottery, especially South Europeans, eastern Europeans, Africans, South Americans, East/South-East/South Asians , who have parents that tend to be more conservative than the ones in North America and Western Europe. While in highschool I wish my parents would let my girlfriend sleep at our place and have breakfast all together in the morning (after I would have banged her all night, of course :D ) ... there's an article about some US teenager doing this in Sweden, or smth like that, can't find it right now. This, of course, assuming the very unlikely possibility of HER parents allowing her to spend the night at my place ... so yeah, I wanted to leave my folks house (I'm not from North America or Western Europe, btw) ever since I was 16, but I was only able to do it when I got a job that paid well enough :(
And the latest census results are in ... surprise, surprise, looks like I was right. As usual :D

"Economic conditions and the higher cost of housing, particularly in the Greater Toronto Area, are behind this increase in children living with their parents for a longer time," said Denis.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/census- ... -1.4231163

In general, cities with a higher-than-average proportion of young adults living with parents are found in the Greater Toronto Area and B.C.’s Lower Mainland. [...] The Greater Toronto Area and Lower Mainland have higher costs of living and higher housing costs than other parts of Canada, which would likely make living with parents more appealing.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3641743/more- ... m=Facebook
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2547 posts
718 upvotes
Vancouver
Messerschmitt wrote:
To me as an European is very foreign
Depends where in Europe you're from. Don't put us all in the same basket. Guess what, the SOuth and East are poor, the West and North are rich(er). Once again, it all comes down to the money ... when young people can afford to move out, THEY DO ! You'd be pretty stupid not to want to walk naked around the house, leave your socks and underwear everywhere and bang a different guy/girl every night :D

There are significant differences between EU Member States regarding the norms that apply to co-residence between the generations (for example, parents living with their adult children). Figure 5 shows that there are substantial disparities between on the one hand, southern and eastern EU Member States — where multi-generation households were a more common phenomenon — and northern and western Member States, where children were more prone to leave the family to live on their own (or with others).
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... nd_society
Jul 5, 2017
3 posts
charlesd79 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 1:16 am
You'd be pretty stupid not to want to walk naked around the house
Most people who live alone do not want to walk around naked in there own place. Its unsanitary .
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2547 posts
718 upvotes
Vancouver
User418686 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 7:04 pm
Most people who live alone do not want to walk around naked in there own place. Its unsanitary .
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4687 posts
333 upvotes
I would think a lot of middle aged people from certain cultures live with their elders.
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
794 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Japan has muti-generation mortgages. it is impossible for 1 generation to pay off mortgage. Japanese children have to live at home due extreme high cost of land.
Canada should consider muti-generation mortgages too. We are at the cross road of dangerous of social break down unless gov't must take a direct aggressive plan to make life affordable for everyone.
Sep 15, 2010
578 posts
181 upvotes
Snowflakes be wanting to do what snowflakes wanna do
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1624 posts
166 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:21 pm
I would think a lot of middle aged people from certain cultures live with their elders.
There's nothing wrong with that.