Shopping Discussion

Do you think Amazon Prime is worth getting?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2018 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto

Do you think Amazon Prime is worth getting?

How many of you have upgraded to Amazon Prime, and feel it's value?
107 replies
Feb 2, 2011
394 posts
450 upvotes
Depends how many products you purchase per year.

I order about once a month and I don't mind waiting an extra 1 to 2 days, so I currently don't have prime.

If you order say 3 times a month, then why not:

3 shipments x 12 months = 36 shipments per year

$79 for Amazon Prime / 36 = $2.19

In conclusion, if you order 3 times a month and don't mind spending $2.19 for the extra 2-3 days (time saved), then get it.

Hope it helps!
Thumbs Up For Hot Deal 😃
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
It's worth it for me since I keep signing up for 6 month student trials and pay $0. :o
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ggqS1jS.png[/IMG]

Yup.
Scaling out to a full year I'm looking at $0.32 per order.

EDIT: Also that's for .ca
I also have a .com Prime as well because I get stuff shipped to the US all the time.
Nov 28, 2007
560 posts
248 upvotes
Etobicoke
I signed up for the 30 day trial just before Amazon Prime sale and like many was disappointed with the sale items. I forgot to cancel it and it renewed for the year. I was made for about 3 days and then just started using it. And I used it a lot. Not as much as death_hawk above as I only made about 52 orders, BUT i have zero regrets not.

I never have to worry about meeting the "Free shipping" minimum. I'll place an order and then as soon as I submitted it remember I forgot 1 additional item. Well, order that too! So I guess it comes down to how often you order things, if they are big or small ticket items, and if saving you that 1-2 days shipping time is of value.
Jul 1, 2009
711 posts
133 upvotes
tokihamai wrote: I never have to worry about meeting the "Free shipping" minimum. I'll place an order and then as soon as I submitted it remember I forgot 1 additional item. Well, order that too!
^ this is a big one for me. If I figure out that I need something because I'm running low/have run out, then I'll order it. And most of the time its not expensive stuff at all, so the convenience of not having the minimum is really good for me.
Dec 30, 2015
2 posts
I would get it in a heartbeat. 2 day shipping! Sometimes the same or cheaper than the stores. I buy everything from Amazon because why spend the gas or fight the traffic when I get free 2 day shipping. Well worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
ghost1001 wrote: ^ this is a big one for me. If I figure out that I need something because I'm running low/have run out, then I'll order it. And most of the time its not expensive stuff at all, so the convenience of not having the minimum is really good for me.
Me too. I use it mainly for that. I order lots of items under $10. ($78 orders in a year). Occasionally canadapost misses the guaranteed delivery date and that gets me a free month of prime it like $10 refunded ontop of that.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got Prime due to signing up for Family, and subscribed too much to cancel the membership. We certainly do not need subscription every month, but when we do, you do get a bit of a discount. For normal items bought from Amazon, I usually get it 2,3 days anyways. So from that point of view, I don't really find I NEED Prime.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on where you live.
If you're in the GTA I'd say it's not worth it unless you're constantly ordering below the $25 threshold
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I have only ordered 15 times in 2015 so don't think it would be worth it to me.
Apr 18, 2006
406 posts
72 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ggqS1jS.png[/IMG]

Yup.
Scaling out to a full year I'm looking at $0.32 per order.

EDIT: Also that's for .ca
I also have a .com Prime as well because I get stuff shipped to the US all the time.
Hi, are you paying $79/yr Cdn and another $79/yr US for both, or are you able to pay one of them and link the .ca and .com accounts?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
asif9t9 wrote: Hi, are you paying $79/yr Cdn and another $79/yr US for both, or are you able to pay one of them and link the .ca and .com accounts?
It's seperate
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I don't have Prime, but these fake delays they have added for free shipping are really starting to annoy me. It used to be that free shipping was the same as next day shipping due to my proximity to the warehouse.

Today, I order something on a Sunday, and it shows up on the Monday a week later.

Getting Prime would certainly solve this, but I'm not at all enamoured with the idea of rewarding Amazon's fake shipping delays. Grrr... :lol:
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4967 posts
13387 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
I don't have PRIME since it only it only 2 day processing from the warehouse then shipping transport time is extra out of my 120 orders this year only 11 have taking 4 day or more to ship out, and most are delivered the next day when they use UPS or Canada Post from T.O to Montreal order ship out of Vancouver take 5 days.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
asif9t9 wrote: Hi, are you paying $79/yr Cdn and another $79/yr US for both, or are you able to pay one of them and link the .ca and .com accounts?

I wish you could link them but you can't.
Worth it for both.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
For me it's worth it cause I buy lots of stuff on amazon.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 18, 2006
406 posts
72 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I wish you could link them but you can't.
Worth it for both.
What are the sort of things that make .com Prime worth it? What's something you've ordered and had delivered to Canada?

I'm thinking of getting a .com Prime so I can also access the Instant Video feature. But I don't want to pay for both .com and .ca. So I'm hoping there's stuff to get use out of .com.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
asif9t9 wrote: What are the sort of things that make .com Prime worth it?
Keep in mind that .com ONLY delivers to the US under Prime.
Any shipments to Canada are paid.
I'm not sure if there's a discount or anything but lately smaller items have come in around $4-5/item when ordered with a couple other items.
I was shocked when I had 2 things in my cart and I was being billed $7 for shipping. This scaled up to $28ish when I ordered 7 items.
Obviously if you're buying something that's ridiculously oversized you'll be paying more than $5 per item. But for "most" things on there that are fairly small the ship charge is pretty reasonable.

I do use Prime to ship from .com to the US.
What's something you've ordered and had delivered to Canada?
Last few things:
-12" Carbon fiber gun cleaning rod (Not available anywhere in Canada, can't even special order it. Ordered from the US for what worked out to be the same price as here after FX plus $6 shipping. Even if someone in Canada had it, I'd be paying more than $6 shipping)
-Scale (It was cheap and a rugged one, again can't find it Canada)
-AMAZEN tube smoker (Available in Canada but $20 shipping vs $5)
-Rib racks ($12USD vs $22CAD)
-HDCP stripper (Confirmed unit available in the US)
-Gallon of liquid smoke ($5CAD for 200ml vs $25USD for a gallon. You do the math)
I'm thinking of getting a .com Prime so I can also access the Instant Video feature. But I don't want to pay for both .com and .ca. So I'm hoping there's stuff to get use out of .com.
I can't remember the last time I looked at instant video. I should since it's "free" anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: I don't have Prime, but these fake delays they have added for free shipping are really starting to annoy me. It used to be that free shipping was the same as next day shipping due to my proximity to the warehouse.

Today, I order something on a Sunday, and it shows up on the Monday a week later.

Getting Prime would certainly solve this, but I'm not at all enamoured with the idea of rewarding Amazon's fake shipping delays. Grrr... :lol:
If you're close to their warehouse, even with Prime two-day shipping, they hold orders on purpose so they arrive in 2 days, and not 1.