Shopping Discussion

Do you think people steal using self-checkouts?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2014 7:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1469 upvotes
Pickering
Yes OP, think you steal using self checkouts.
Jun 18, 2004
379 posts
78 upvotes
Vancouver Island
rageking wrote: Yes, theft is a real problem with self-checkout. And Im sure they aren't to ensure u don't rip off their plastic bags
Actually, I overheard a cashier tell a customer that they don't really check for plastic bag purchases...I have seen some people bag their purchases after they've paid.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1265 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: I feel bad about this but in university I used to ring cashews through as soybeans. 1kg bag of cashews for like $5.

I'd never do that now though

It's good that you never do it now because if the store can prove intent, you could be convicted of fraud. Getting a job with a criminal record can be a bit tough, but getting a job with a record of fraud is very tough.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3784 posts
1197 upvotes
Parry Sound
kneevase wrote: It's good that you never do it now because if the store can prove intent, you could be convicted of fraud. Getting a job with a criminal record can be a bit tough, but getting a job with a record of fraud is very tough.

Are you kidding me? No one would slap a fraud charge on you for trying to hustle cashews for $5.
You won't even be charged with theft under 5000.

If the store employees/supervisor/manager/LPO catch you, they'll give you a slap on the wrist. If they call the cops, the cops will give you a slap on the wrist.
If they decide to take it to court, the judge will give you a slap on the wrist and slap the crown across the face for wasting his time with this.
No one will be doing jail time or getting a conviction for paying a little less than they should on some nuts.

Seriously, what country do you think we live in?
You know how risky it is for a store to pursue something so small like that? No one wants to get sued.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19168 posts
6072 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Jucius Maximus wrote: I wonder if it had anything to do with the "impulse rack" purchases.

i.e. They do not have people picking up candy, magazines, gum, etc from the racks that exist near the normal checkouts.
Nah, poor people shop at walmart and we all know that poor people are all criminals.