Computers & Electronics

Do you turn off your wifi modem when you are out or sleeping?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2012 1:42 am
Tags:
None
Feb 6, 2011
59 posts
6 upvotes

Do you turn off your wifi modem when you are out or sleeping?

Hi guys,

Do you turn off your modem when you go out or are sleeping? Is it better for the modem? Another thing is, my friend told me that wifi modem is actually bad for health (he said something like it was tested that a modem was on and put in a remote countryside area and then the plants/grass around were dead after a certain time). He told me to unplug /turn it off during sleep. I have never looked into this issue.
53 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
We have never unplugged ours.. stays on 24/7 here and I haven't noticed any problems or grown any extra arms and legs yet :)
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7735 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
Lol. No need to turn it off, its not like its emitting gigawatts of power so I doubt it causes any severe (if any) health issues. I never turn my modem and router/wifi off, it would be too much hassle to turn it back on, let it boot up, connect, etc etc. The grass probably died because the modem is blocking light from reaching the grass.

I do, however, turn my computer off when it's not in use for extend periods of time.
Jun 15, 2011
37676 posts
5426 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I set my modem to standby mode when I go to bed.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
736 posts
147 upvotes
It's just a bunch of techno-phobic claims, people should be more concerned about the air they breath, the food they eat, etc than these sort of fables.
Apr 23, 2012
20 posts
1 upvote
I never turn off the modem, and no problem so far ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2700 posts
231 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Nope. Takes to damn long for it to boot, etc. Besides that, since my dog now has this strange 3'rd ear growing,(the router is directly next to his sleeping area.) he gets ticked off when I turn it back on.
Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
I have a switch right beside my computer and turn off my router while I'm viewing a page then turn it back on when I want to search for something else - you can never be too careful!!! :eek:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Does this friend also believe using the microwave is bad because "you are cooking with radiation"?
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
2889 posts
214 upvotes
Aurora
I don't turn off any of my telecom equipment (modem, main router, switches, wifi access points, ATA) unless we're going on vacation or something like that. PCs get turned off at night.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5370 posts
353 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Never. Too inconvenient and I like to be able to connect anytime anywhere.

I can see that if you are gone for an extended period of time like going on a vacation then turning it off make sense, but certainly not daily.

As for your friend's claim, I would call him out as I very much want to see actually evidence of such a test being conducted and how it was being conducted.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
10826 posts
426 upvotes
whitebear wrote:
Apr 24th, 2012 11:26 pm
Hi guys,

Do you turn off your modem when you go out or are sleeping? Is it better for the modem? Another thing is, my friend told me that wifi modem is actually bad for health (he said something like it was tested that a modem was on and put in a remote countryside area and then the plants/grass around were dead after a certain time). He told me to unplug /turn it off during sleep. I have never looked into this issue.
Sorry to tell you, but your friend is an idiot.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
6048 posts
867 upvotes
Mine runs DD-WRT.

I set it to shutoff wifi during the dead of night. Only because it does save about 1-2W measured at the wall.

1-2W here and there is a $1-2 a month. Why waste it if you're not going to use it.

I use smart bars(Thanks Hydro for the free powerbars) for my entertainment systems and it really does add up. 50W of phantom power between TVs, Amp, and systems around the house.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3286 posts
293 upvotes
I do turn off my WIFI (not modem or router) for security and power saving reason. I've done it throught the router setup that allows me to set the off and on time for WiFi. It will automatically turn itself on/off on the destinated time. Don't have to physically unplug/plug it.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
× < >