Cell Phones

Do you use a Case?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2014 11:28 am
Tags:
None

Poll: case or no case

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge

Do you use a Case?

Majority of the flagships I owned was wrapped in cheap plastic cases but lately I've learned to relax about my toys.

When the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 came out I knew I didn't want a case but still wanted to protect it so I bought a pouch but even then the last few weeks I stopped using it.

My attitude change last year when hTc came out with the One M7.

Screen Protector is the only accessory I buy & use.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5203 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
Most of the phones I've owned were pretty slippery, so cases give me a peace of mind just in case...
signature closed for renovation
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
True but even then looking at my history I only dropped two. BlackBerry Bold 9000 and hTc EVO 3D.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Yes I use case on all my phone and Tablets (OTTERBOX ONLY), learned my lesson when I switch to obex on my galaxy s3 to use as underwater camera work well on water but when I dropped in 3ft height crack the LCD since then never. ever use another case. My kids always playing on my phone they always dropped it so protection is a MUST.
Phone History
BB8830 - Otterbox
BB9320 - Otterbox
BB9800 - Otterbox
Iphone4 - Otterbox
Galaxy S3 - Otterbox - Obex LCD Crack
Galaxy S5 - Otterbox
Iphone5s - Otterbox
Iphone6+ - Otterbox
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
I actually prefer the look and feel of the spigen neo hybrid on my N5. Personally I love the square edges. I think the iPhone 5s is the last phone I'd use without a case because of the square edges.
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
I hate screen protector so yes I use a case. A screen protector feels terrible to use.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
I used to always go naked because cases would cover up a phone's good looks but these days, cases are pretty thin so I don't mind buying them.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2005
5203 posts
2486 upvotes
Vancity
turnipx wrote: I hate screen protector so yes I use a case. A screen protector feels terrible to use.
You've tried tempered glass ones? They feel like the actual screen.
signature closed for renovation
Mar 13, 2013
51 posts
10 upvotes
WHITBY
Always use tempered glass screen protector, feels like naked screen. Also Otterbox for kids iphones, dropped a few time, still like new.
Jun 10, 2003
806 posts
214 upvotes
Halifax
Don't use a case, have found it funny that phones are all racing to be thinner but to make it so they don't break on the first drop you gotta double the thickness with a case.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Havo wrote: I used to always go naked because cases would cover up a phone's good looks but these days, cases are pretty thin so I don't mind buying them.
Get one of those clear ones so you can still see what the back of the phone looks like!
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
Yes, smartview case on my Note3.
Nothing for my work issued BB, other than the holster!
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
51 upvotes
In the middle of now…
recordman wrote: Most of the phones I've owned were pretty slippery, so cases give me a peace of mind just in case...
Yes, some phones are slippery.
Nexus 4 definitely needs something.
Nexus 5 is fine by itself.

Screen protectors are redundant on modern phones - Gorilla Glass is strong enough to withstand tons of abuse.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Siberian wrote: Gorilla Glass is strong enough to withstand tons of abuse.
I've used screen protectors to cut down on the glare and finger prints. Some screen protectors are matte so no more finger prints but they tend to cut down on the clarity of the display.
I guess there's pros and cons for everything.
I always use a case on my phone. I usually sell them after I am done with them or if I don't sell it I give it to a family member.
I carry the phones in my pocket with keys so it's better to have a case and screen protector on. My last phone I thought I'd go naked and my keys scratched the camera lens cover. Ended up costing me more than the price of a nice case to have it replaced.
Lesson learned
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1887 posts
359 upvotes
North York
I use a bumper style case to protect all sides and keep it relatively thin. No screen protectors though. Don't like them.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
I have an Otterbox slim case I used to use when I first got the phone, but for the last year or so I've been using the phone uncovered. The HTC One is pretty tough.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2014
1015 posts
227 upvotes
Unionville, ON
I have never used a case in my life. I don't see the point. Slippery? Maybe if you have tiny hands.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
Once you go bareback, you can never use a rubber again.

Lol...

Iphone 5s with a spigen soft case (clear) + tempered glass.

BB q10 was bare but had screen protector on it.

Z30 with only the inner rubber otter box skin (kept the hard case off). Also had screen protector on it.

Passport with screen protector + OEM hard case on back