Health & Wellness

Do you use an oil diffuser / humidifier in your home?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2018 7:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16482 posts
1458 upvotes
Space for rent

Do you use an oil diffuser / humidifier in your home?

I have to admit I never knew there was such a thing as an oil diffuser. Adding oil into the atmosphere would actually be a good thing for your health and on the topic of health, winter seems to really take a beating on me as I get older. In my younger days, I would love to sleep with my windows open and heat cranked. Now the cold air leaves me literally miserable after I wake up and nose infections seems to be a common by product of it.

I'm looking at this one and wonder if they make ones with bamboo or something other than plastic.

https://www.amazon.ca/Essential-Diffuse ... 624&sr=8-2

15 replies
Jul 13, 2016
40 posts
26 upvotes
Humidifiers are great, I use one and I find it makes a big difference in my comfort. I get zapped less by carpet, but also have fewer nosebleeds and my pets' fur is less staticy.

Make sure if you have a humidifer that you clean it thoroughly regularly. Whole-home humidifiers are now the "flow-through" type, which wastes a ton of water but dries out when not in use making them much less prone to mold buildup than the drum type.

Adding oil into the atmosphere would actually be a good thing for your health
The only studies conducted on "Essential Oils" as a whole are conducted by Essential Oil companies. DoTerra and On Guard are big ones and they commission a lot of studies. You never hear about most of them because they don't support the companies' bottom lines, and unlike pharmaceutical companies Essential Oils don't have to admit when a study shows their products don't do anything or have unintended side effects.

These companies do their best to use marketing to try to lead you to conclusions about what the products can do, without making any claims.

For example, you'll often see cited a scientific study named "Protective essential oil attenuates influenza virus infection: An in vitro study in MDCK cells." which hints that essential oils might prevent or lessen the effects of the flu.

What does the study actually say? It says that if you take kidney cells out of dogs, culture the Influenza virus in them, then spray OnGuard on one sample and Canola Oil on the other, the one with OnGuard will end up with fewer Influenza particles.

That means absolutely nothing in humans, but it's just enough that people can "support" their "conclusions" with "science".

If you want to use it as an air freshener, fine. Don't expect to get healthier. If you have pets, be very careful about what you diffuse because some of it is toxic (especially to cats). Don't use it around young children or pregnant woman, especially not direct-skin contact or ingestion. Don't apply essential oils to your skin before you're exposed to a substantial amount of UV - eg. tanning or going out in bright sunlight.

reddit.com/r/AntiMLM
Last edited by soupmaster666 on Oct 31st, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1536 posts
309 upvotes
I just use a Muji diffuser. Don't agree or know any health benefits but it smells nice and I feel relaxed, which is all that matters.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4663 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
i've always wanted one and looked at a lot of places and its hard to find one that has no leaking issues (or any dealbreaking issues). Better to find one at Costco for their generous refund policy.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6905 posts
1203 upvotes
It's a multi billion dollar industry. Why sell air fresheners when you can convince people that it has health benefits and sell it in a small bottle at 20x more !
Doterra is the largest company here in North America and some of their sellers become millionaires overnight !...LoL
https://www.doterra.com/US/en
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Humidifiers r not necessary in Vancouver.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
We have a humidifier on the furnace. I use a VicTsing oil diffuser and it's great for making the house smell scenty lol.
Dec 23, 2015
496 posts
429 upvotes
Not all oils are equal, they may or may not have beneficial effects. Some oils are toxic to your pets. Know what you and your family members are going to be breathing in before spewing them into your environment.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3033 posts
2548 upvotes
Vancouver
Supercooled wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 4:23 pm
Adding oil into the atmosphere would actually be a good thing for your health
It isn't.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts a location-specific question without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1536 posts
309 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:20 am
It isn't.
Source?
I understand if it does nothing for your health, but where does it say it not good for your health?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3033 posts
2548 upvotes
Vancouver
kmarcie wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 11:42 am
Source?
I understand if it does nothing for your health, but where does it say it not good for your health?
I didn't say it was bad. I'm just saying there's no benefit. The supposed "health benefits" of infusing the air with any kind of oil are nothing more than marketing schlock. There are no demonstrated actual health benefits beyond placebo.

And if you do this enough, be aware that oil infused into the air does not disappear. It's going to settle eventually—onto your walls, furniture, carpeting...and become a dust and dirt magnet. Not in my house, thanks. If I want my house to smell nice I'll stick to cheap, natural, non-oil methods, like boiling cinnamon and cloves on the stovetop.
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts a location-specific question without giving a location

Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9755 posts
1421 upvotes
Kiraly may be correct, the essential oil may contain terpenes or other VOCs, once in a while is fine but I wouldn't recommend long term usage. Having said that, I like my shampoo which contains essential oil lol.
kmarcie wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 11:42 am
Source?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3033 posts
2548 upvotes
Vancouver
Trust me, you do not want oil in the air of your home. I know this isn't the same thing but I saw the interior of a house that housed a Zoroastrian family for 35 years, they burned this ceremonial oil lamp for much of the time. The oil and soot from that lamp coated every surface in the house with an oily film. And I mean every surface—remove the cover from a light switch and the box and wires inside were coated too. This oily film attracted dust like you wouldn't believe. A company specializing in fire remediation had to be hired at great expense to clean everything. Now I'm sure that essential oil in an infuser won't cause nearly as much damage, but still...not in my home, thanks.