Food & Drink

Do You Wait in Line at Starbucks and Tim Hortons?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 12:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3348 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton

Do You Wait in Line at Starbucks and Tim Hortons?

I love the pre-order apps from Starbucks and Tim Hortons. And yet people still line up.

The Starbucks app is annoying because the estimated ready time is 4 to 9 minutes. So there is usually some waiting time. Either your drink/food or you.

The Tim Hortons app gives you an ETA based on walking or driving. So you can order way in advance and, as long as you go directly but don’t jog, your drink should be poured as you arrive. Tim Hortons also has the “I’m here” button in case you want to order from the parking lot or while sitting at a table.

Anyway, I’m clearly in the minority in using the pre-order features. Do people enjoy waiting in line? Enjoy the banter with the cashier? Like to have non-standard orders like “1 and a half sugar”?

When you think about it, these preorder apps might make more sense in slow food than fast-food. But anyway, McDonald’s is testing theirs in the USA. Not sure about Burger King, they were supposed to launch it in the spring (Restaurant Brands International owns both Tim Hortons and Burger King).

Lines at both Tim Hortons and Starbucks are in waves. So I suppose people aren’t lining up every time they go. And especially at Starbucks, I don’t think the app is really a time saver if there is no line.

But I’m still curious why more people aren’t using the apps. Going to independents is an other way to avoid line ups, at least here in Moncton, but they often don’t accept Tap to Pay/Paywave and that is just too stupid for me to tolerate when under-caffeinated.
Last edited by MonctonMan on Oct 15th, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
36 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14071 posts
2477 upvotes
Toronto
The line probably takes as long as ordering through the app.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3348 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
carmaster wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 8:35 pm
The line probably takes as long as ordering through the app.
A Tim Hortons line is often 8 minutes. And then you still have to wait for your food. The app takes 20 seconds.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9826 posts
887 upvotes
I do this for lunch. I use an app to order ahead of time at a few places. Saves me a ton of time as the food court at my work is insanely busy. I just wish more of the restaurants used the app.

I stopped getting a coffee in the morning, so my wait times for Timmies or Starbucks are typically not at busy times. I would probably use the app if I was getting coffee in the morning though.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28244 posts
4212 upvotes
Ottawa
Not if there are more then 3 people in line. There are too many coffee places around to wait in line for any of them.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2380 posts
148 upvotes
I don't like lines, I just don't have a data plan.
Jan 30, 2008
561 posts
88 upvotes
Depends. I pre-order if I know what I want or really need that jolt of caffeine but sometimes if I need a break from work, I'll walk over, stand in line, surf my phone while standing in line, walk back, etc... ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3943 posts
529 upvotes
Aurora
I wasn't aware of the pre-order features of the Starbucks and Tim's apps. I was at the hell pit called Vaughan Mills Mall yesterday and really wanted a Starbucks coffee, yet the lines at both locations in the mall we're something like 30 people deep. Sounds like a good time to use the app - at busy locations. Otherwise, if I was at one store which was busy, I'm more apt to just walk a couple of steps to a competing store which was not busy,
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
If I were patronizing Starbucks or Tm Hortons, I would be lining up. I do not carry a smartphone with me, so I cannot utilize the app ordering process.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1080 upvotes
I usually order from my desk and then get in the elevator and walk over after ordering, when I get anything from Starbucks. My order is usually ready by the time I get there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3348 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
Becks wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 5:45 pm
If I were patronizing Starbucks or Tm Hortons, I would be lining up. I do not carry a smartphone with me, so I cannot utilize the app ordering process.
The apps works on tablets. Starbucks you have to be 4 to 9 minutes away, but Tim Hortons you can order from anywhere as long as you are making a direct trip. You could also select pedestrian if you are driving and have an errand along the way. I’ve never been asked to prove I made an order, only verbally confirmed my name. Starbucks is a great place to use a tablet, the Apple logo fits right in with all the students doing homework on their MacBooks. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3348 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
DiceMan wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 4:31 pm
I wasn't aware of the pre-order features of the Starbucks and Tim's apps. I'm more apt to just walk a couple of steps to a competing store which was not busy,
Skipping the line like a VIP is an unbelievable feeling. I now go to Tim Hortons and Starbucks specifically when they are busy.

Tim Hortons increased the app’s visibility by offering a free coffee. Android downloads went from 5,000 to 50,000 (there are 4,000 stores). Their second try at the promo is valid until October 26. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tim-hor ... p-2133444/
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5202 posts
1001 upvotes
Montreal
I knew that Starbucks had the feature but it didn't work when I tried it last year. I rarely go to Starbucks, though.

I had no clue that Tim's now offered it and I go there at least once or twice a week. I'll definitely give it a try.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4729 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
I avoid ALL of that and SAVE money, by bringing my tea/coffee in a thermos from home.
Don't need to go into those shops at all.

Is there an app for that, haha
Mar 27, 2015
738 posts
176 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
apnayloags wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 4:55 pm
I avoid ALL of that and SAVE money, by bringing my tea/coffee in a thermos from home.
Don't need to go into those shops at all.

Is there an app for that, haha
Me too! I buy quality beans that I grind at home and know are fresh.