Food & Drink

Do You Wait in Line at Starbucks and Tim Hortons?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 12:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3332 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
apnayloags wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 4:55 pm
I avoid ALL of that and SAVE money, by bringing my tea/coffee in a thermos from home.
Don't need to go into those shops at all.

Is there an app for that, haha
Is the coffee it still warm by your afternoon break?
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3332 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
The McDonald’s version being tested in highly populated US markets has some interesting pros and cons over the Tim Hortons app.

Cons:
-Your food or coffee won’t be prepared before you get to the store.

Pros:
-You can get curb side pickup so potentially even pedestrians can smoke while they wait or go with a dog or without shoes or a shirt.
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/bu ... _order_app
-You can shop without accidentally placing an order. You wouldn’t think that would be an issue, but I’ve accidentally ordered coffee at 3am while in bed.
Oct 19, 2017
0 posts
We don't use that app here in Dubai because we got lots of coffee shops here. But yeah, Starbucks and Tim Hortons are the best ones.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
I don't voluntarily wait in any line of any kind.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4728 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
MonctonMan wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 3:51 am
Is the coffee it still warm by your afternoon break?
yeah i pour it boiling hot, and it sstays good for 2-3 hrs which is good enough.
Don't need to be drinking it whole day, so its sufficient.

Buy a good quality thermos, don't buy the cheaper ones.
You'll save time and money.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3332 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
apnayloags wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:28 pm
yeah i pour it boiling hot, and it sstays good for 2-3 hrs which is good enough.
45m or so to get to work. By the time your coffee break roles around your coffee is room temperature. And you have nothing for lunch or the afternoon. You might as well have an extra cup at home.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11196 posts
1537 upvotes
Toronto
MonctonMan wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 8:24 pm
I love the pre-order apps from Starbucks and Tim Hortons. And yet people still line up.
I still line up. The best app is the 7 11 app. Bonuses for buying coffee etc from them and half price small coffee from 2pm-5pm
along with coupons etc found in the app.

Now THAT is a reason for using an app. I just wish there was a place to sit and enjoy 7 11's coffee and food. (even if I might normally leave when just buying the coffee...)
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2483 posts
536 upvotes
Vaughan
Absolutely love using Starbuck's mobile order and pay. Select what I want including any customization, submit the order when I know i'm a ~5min away, walk in, pick up drink, walk out. It's that easy. Absolutely no reason to wait in line unless you enjoy lineups for some reason.
Feb 8, 2017
244 posts
93 upvotes
cloakster wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 8:09 pm
Absolutely love using Starbuck's mobile order and pay. Select what I want including any customization, submit the order when I know i'm a ~5min away, walk in, pick up drink, walk out. It's that easy. Absolutely no reason to wait in line unless you enjoy lineups for some reason.
amen brother
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6206 posts
1109 upvotes
cloakster wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 8:09 pm
Select what I want including any customization,
From the espresso/Americano menu, what is a long shot? And from the shot prep customization, "Upside down"? What is an upside down shot?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3332 posts
900 upvotes
Moncton
bonterra wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 10:57 pm
From the espresso/Americano menu, what is a long shot? And from the shot prep customization, "Upside down"? What is an upside down shot?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungo

In my opinion, it’s too cold this time of year to experiment with espresso (by the way, they are significantly cheaper at Tim Hortons). On the other hand, if you live a warm indoor existence and you want to cut way down on caffeine or are going to be away from a bathroom, it can be a more tasty alternative to tea. Just keep in mind there is only about 75mg of caffeine per espresso shot, normal, short or long. Drink Americano (espresso + hot water), in my humble opinion, only if you don’t trust the freshness of the drip coffee on offer.

If drip coffee is too inexpensive, you can splurge on a single origin coffee served via pour over or Clover machine. Won’t taste better than drip filter, but it will taste different.

Starbucks is cheap enough that you can experiment. You want to avoid skipping meals though, caffeine can make you very hungry, and next thing you know you are binge eating way more calories than the Frappuccinos or DoubleDouble crowd.

If you are young and still have a sweet tooth, the “Cuban” coffee served in Miami will blow your mind. Until 2 seconds ago I didn’t realize it was espresso made with sugar.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_espresso

An other justification for espresso is you probably don’t have access to an espresso machine at home or at work and it can be a great excuse when you need a break from either.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6206 posts
1109 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 12:08 pm

If you are young and still have a sweet tooth, the “Cuban” coffee served in Miami will blow your mind. Until 2 seconds ago I didn’t realize it was espresso made with sugar.
Interesting observation. As I've gotten older I crave and enjoy sweet foods and sugar less and less.
Aug 29, 2010
145 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
I'll definitely try out the prepay feature, but I absolutely prefer waiting in line over waiting in a drive thru. Every Tim Horton's or Mcdonald's drive thru will guaranteed be held back by people ordering everything on the menu, and then customizing their options in ways that don't exists. Then when they get to the window, they always change something and hand back their coffee, or order something extra, and when they finally get it, they wait there for a minute checking everything to see if it's okay, and paying with cash and change.

At Mcdonald's I always go through the machines, it's so much faster. I wish more restaurants would have this, especially Wendy's.