• Apr 14th, 2006 4:17 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes

Do you're parents accept you for what you're doing

Do your parents accept you for what you're doing?

Ie, would your parents be more proud if you were a doctor/lawyer/engineer and the like. Or less proud if you were a director for small plays, free-lance journalist, plumber, electrician etc.
19 replies
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
CSR wrote:Traddes make BIG money!
Yes...you're point being?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
4 upvotes
I think your paretns should be proud if your happy what your doing.

Going through school (this may sound sterotypical but its my experiance) there where lots of asians taking engineering becuase thats what their parents expected of them, they made up for the lack of engineering nack/desire with real hard work but in the end didn't really enjoy what they where doing, to me that seems like a shame.

If you end up in any job where you can support your family, and live the life style you like it shouldnt matter what the job is.
hell I know a couple garbage men that live better lives then lots of engineers.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
3118 posts
3 upvotes
Yeah, since my parents wouldn't accept my initial career choice as a law enforcement officer or something in that field, I'm still in high school on my fifth year taking business courses instead studying criminology at York. :(
TRANCE/HOUSE Fan?

D J H A R O U N . C O M
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
you're = you are
your = your

don't give another reason for your parents to be ashamed of you.
Back for a limited engagement.
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
Sajjad wrote:Do your parents accept you for what you're doing?

Ie, would your parents be more proud if you were a doctor/lawyer/engineer and the like. Or less proud if you were a director for small plays, free-lance journalist, plumber, electrician etc.
you're = you are
your = your

call me blind but I can't find my supposed error?
Jul 23, 2003
537 posts
55 upvotes
Rideau Lakes
Sajjad wrote:call me blind but I can't find my supposed error?
Sajjad wrote:Yes...you're point being?
you're != your
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
15-20_God wrote:you're = you are
your = your

yo Sorry G
ma bad, it wuz in da title y0

still cool G?
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
GroceryBagHead wrote:you're != your
!!!!!

it's a mental problem > :(
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2004
7557 posts
67 upvotes
Sajjad wrote:call me blind but I can't find my supposed error?
read the title of YOUR thread.
Back for a limited engagement.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4456 posts
53 upvotes
Hard for parents to accept their kids dreams, for instance, if my kid ever told me they wanted to be a freelance social worker, when I've put them through the best education for them, & myself and my wife both have professional careers.. yea i'd flip and tell them to pick something worthwhile.
Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
[/COLOR]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
1446 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
CodecX81 wrote:i'd flip and tell them to pick something worthwhile.
worthwhile to who?

when talking about career choices, i think there's two ways to be miserable: doing a job you hate, or make so little money that you live below the poverty line.

After a certain income level, what you do is more important than how much you make, so unless they choose something where they will be completely poor (i.e. burger flipper) why not let them do what they love?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3493 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
supernerd wrote:worthwhile to who?

when talking about career choices, i think there's two ways to be miserable: doing a job you hate, or make so little money that you live below the poverty line.

After a certain income level, what you do is more important than how much you make, so unless they choose something where they will be completely poor (i.e. burger flipper) why not let them do what they love?
^^ Well said my friend, well said.
MAIN:5950X|X570S Toma|64GB|7800XT|KC3000 2TB|4TB WD Black|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW| 1440p144|1440p75 - Both 27"
HT:G5400T|8GB DDR4
SERVER:5600G|32GB DDR4|512GB|2x12TB
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2004
4456 posts
53 upvotes
Worthwhile to both parties..expanding your mind to a place where it can make your own life for yourself without being poor or being reliant on others to survive.

I think everyone in their heart has dreams of being famous or discovering a cure for cancer, but the process of getting to those places results in a lot of years of struggling for yourself. As much as I would support my children, I do not think its fine to say "Its okay, you do what you want, failure is an option because you can always come home"

It will always be implied that they will always be able to come home, and sometimes failure happens... But I lose respect for people who chose a life where struggle is widespread and they use that "poverty" as a safety net.

My kids get 1 chance to persue the life they want to, I'll go halves on schooling.. They prove themselves in semester 1, then I'll pay for semester 2.

If anywhere along these lines they end up unable to support themselves, they will be unable to support a family and carry on my genetics. If they choose to live back at home, they'll have to do it under my supervision. Go back to school and learn something that will employ them with a wage and a chance at life, and they can keep the skill they failed at as a hobby.
supernerd wrote:worthwhile to who?

Wanna get a REAL Canadian Job?
Thanks for being a great community, RFD!
[/COLOR]
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
i fail to see how being a social worker is a bad thing.
Banned
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
Imagine yourself as a parent; Scenario
You're daughter wants to get married.....and (let's assume you're South-Asian).
You have a friend, who has a son and he has a degree in 'Computer Science', has been unemployed for 3-5 years. You're daughter likes a man, who works as a plumber, who makes $80k+ year. Do you say no to the plumber, or to the man with the degree, or vice versa.
Monday, April 10th 2006: Marks the day MuchMusic ruined themselves for years to come.
MOOD: Ready to get owned 7 ways from Sunday
Want to know all the Raptors Off Season Buzz..
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=278444