Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7102 posts
658 upvotes
Victoria
Mars2012 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 2:06 pm
Well...that was an improvement over last week. In general, a mediocre season for me although I'm starting to like Capaldi more. I would be hard-pressed to name the episodes over the past couple seasons; not memorable at all.
I liked some of the episodes at the start of this season, but it's kind of gone south again. I still feel like we lost the "fun" in Doctor Who. Something the Russell T. Davies series had in spades, and most of Matt Smith's era also had.

Didn't much care of Clara passing because if a crow based smoke monster..... Adric had a much better death.
May 28, 2012
9317 posts
1719 upvotes
Saskatoon
zod wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 5:06 pm
I liked some of the episodes at the start of this season, but it's kind of gone south again. I still feel like we lost the "fun" in Doctor Who. Something the Russell T. Davies series had in spades, and most of Matt Smith's era also had.

Didn't much care of Clara passing because if a crow based smoke monster..... Adric had a much better death.
Not a whole lot of originality in this one...a couple references: Harry Potter's Diagon Alley and the Green Mile (when the bugs come out). Clara's death seemed so senseless, not really a fitting way to send off a long time cast member, if you ask me. I really don't like Maisie Williams' acting and hope she's not back for more episodes.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8285 posts
1686 upvotes
Toronto
Even though we all know Jenna Coleman is leaving the show, I'm not sure Clara is dead for good.
Too many Ashildr appearances/episodes
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7102 posts
658 upvotes
Victoria
jenviea wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 7:34 pm
Even though we all know Jenna Coleman is leaving the show, I'm not sure Clara is dead for good.
The acress is the role? Technically she's scattered through time and we've already run into 3 different clara's, so it's not hard to bring her back. I don't think she'll be back as a regular. Maybe a nod like the Doctor hallucinating Amy before he regenerated.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Mars2012 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 5:20 pm
Not a whole lot of originality in this one...a couple references: Harry Potter's Diagon Alley and the Green Mile (when the bugs come out). Clara's death seemed so senseless, not really a fitting way to send off a long time cast member, if you ask me. I really don't like Maisie Williams' acting and hope she's not back for more episodes.
jenviea wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2015 7:34 pm
I just watched the episode, after unfortunately running into a spoiler above.

It really was a disappointing way to write Clara out of the show, if that is indeed what has happened. (I have a feeling it may not be). As I mentioned a few weeks ago, it seemed odd for the Doctor to give immortality to some human he'd just met, rather than one or more of his past companions. And look what a b she's turned into. I don't like her character at all. As for Clara sacrificing herself for somebody I haven't seen before (another black Ricky? Really? Are all black guys in London called Ricky???) that seems extreme too, even though she thought she was being clever.

Now reasons for bringing Clara back: Ashildr promised the doctor that Clara wouldn't die. An obvious way to have done that would be to invite the transfer to herself, as Clara had done. After 11 centuries, she should likely be ready and willing to end her own life. And if the raven just removed the immortality, that would allow her to live out a normal lifespan, ideally with a life companion. A "happy" ending. Then there's the fact that the Doctor gave Ashildr TWO immortality devices, only one of which has been used (apparently). Give the second to Clara and she'd be safe. (Though we'd then be faced with the character seriously outstaying her welcome. While Ms Chipmunk is cute, it probably is time to move on). So... I can see Clara/Jenna moving on this season, but not this way. I expect the Doctor will finally regain a few brain cells and come up with a better resolution next episode, or at least before the end of the season. I still want to see Jenna take Clara and the Doctor back to her birthplace, Blackpool, where they have the Doctor Who Museum, and an Eiffel Tower like tower that could also be written into a Dalek plot. While most Brits would be aware of this, I expect most international viewers who haven't visited the area (as I have) aren't. It wouldn't hurt for her to give her hometown a plug. :)

Next week's episode could be interesting, if somebody is trying to frighten the Doctor. Hopefully the conclusion will be more satisfactory than this week's one.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Sheesh, Capaldi/Moffat/The Doctor/the producers/whoever wasted 1 hour of the audience's time (even skipping through commercials) just to show us the bird. Or was it 2 billion years? It really did seem like an eternity. It wasn't the Doctor being put through hell, it was us. I hadn't noticed before watching that the episode was longer than usual, but it obviously was. Obviously wasting 45 minutes of loyal fans' time wasn't punishment enough.

For anybody fortunate enough to have not watched the latest episode yet, DON'T. You'll never get your time back.

It looks like the SFX crew put a fair bit of effort into that episode, so their time was wasted too. Somebody must really, really hate us all.
Sep 30, 2001
26153 posts
5242 upvotes
holy crap that was an awesome episode with a jaw dropping end. :O
Sep 21, 2004
8676 posts
2242 upvotes
Calgary
MrDisco wrote:
Nov 29th, 2015 1:25 am
holy crap that was an awesome episode with a jaw dropping end. :O
This is an absolutely amazing episode. I almost screamed like a little girl in a few scenes. The big reveal is such an emotional downer for me. This is literally hell.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Sep 30, 2001
26153 posts
5242 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2015 12:56 am
This is an absolutely amazing episode. I almost screamed like a little girl in a few scenes. The big reveal is such an emotional downer for me. This is literally hell.
i like how it tied in the first episode from this season, the gears from the opening theme animation, and the phrase "the long way around" from the Smith era.
Sep 30, 2001
26153 posts
5242 upvotes
pretty interesting finale. loved seeing the the retro Tardis with circles and the new sonic screwdriver
Sep 21, 2004
8676 posts
2242 upvotes
Calgary
Series 9 is a total kickass. Other than Sleep No More which is an excellent first half ruined by the WTF ending, every other episode is enjoyable to say the least. This one is as good as Series 5.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7102 posts
658 upvotes
Victoria
I felt season 9 was a step in the right direction, but I still felt it was hit and miss (I thought the first half of the season was better than the back half).

That being said the Christmas special was really good. Probably the best Christmas special since the very first one.